• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet MP Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Cornet MP Confusion Reply with quote

I just got a NB 64 5* mp for my trumpet yesterday and now would like to get something similar for my cornet. Right now I'm alternating cornet mps between a Marcin. 4*W and an Olds 3. The 4*W rim is too wide but the mp produces a good tone. The Olds 3 sounds more like a trumpet and it's also pretty beat up. It seems that a slightly rounded inner rim works better for me than a sharp edge and I think that the inner rim size for me is 16.26mm. I tried a Sparx 4B but that inner rim was too wide (16.5mm) for me. I haven't heard back from Bruce Lee or Brian at GR and am reluctant to try and make an uneducated selection at those prices. I guess I could just pick a cornet cup size and order from GR but don't feel sure about doing that. I like the deep cornet sound so am wondering what I should consider next. Thanks for any suggestions.

Stan
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you liked the sound of the Sparx 4B but want the rim of your NB trumpet mouthpiece, this should be fairly easily solved. Bruce Lee can have GR to make a mouthpiece with his NB 64 5* rim on the #6 cup for you.

I own and enjoy using Sparx mouthpieces, primarily for Brass Band work. I've learned that the Sparx B (or Soloist) cup is essentially the same as a GR #6 cornet cup, but with the proprietary Sparx rim. If you want a sound that's even more "deep," you could go to a #7 cup, which tracks to the Sparx standard model (my personal favorite). Either of these cups will keep you from sounding like a trumpet.

Hope this helps.
horndevil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 4 is too large, you could go for a Wick 4.5 or 5. They are both smaller and have deep V cups.

Ian Barnes
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Brian of GR got back to me and I ordered a #3 cornet mp with the NB64 rim. Since I'm not a strong player yet, I thought the #3 might be easier than say the #7. Now its wait and see. Thanks for the suggestions. They will be in my mental file for future reference if I have to change again.

Stan
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. The lightbulb just came on and I realized that it will be some time before I get my new MP from GR so I ordered a Curry 8.5DC from DillonMusic. I didn't realize, until now, that they have a 10 day trial policy which is a real help.

Stan
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also give the Warburton BC a try..... you will not regret it.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 8DC is nice but still more like a Bach B mouthpiece, try his 8VC if you can...... its shorter and V cup shaped
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a slightly used 8.5DC. It's a good mp, but there is a little more bite to the rim than I thought there would be. We'll see how it is when the honeymoon is over. Thanks for the input.

Stan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: