• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton on cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I have heard that Wynton used a Bach 184 shepherd's crook on Carnival.

You would be correct!!!!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvtrumpet wrote:
Tom K. wrote:
I have heard that Wynton used a Bach 184 shepherd's crook on Carnival.

You would be correct!!!!

Well, at least Wynton and I have ONE thing in common!
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GordonH"] I am not saying Wynton is a bad player.
Please don't jump down my throat![/quote"]

Then what are you saying if you have a bunch as average as him?

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have to agree with Gordon.....

Wynton is a fantastic trumpet player for several reasons in my view but the 'Carnival' CD was dissapointing from a UK cornet playing perspective. The idea is to play great music not just to do triple tonguing because you can.

We don't have many really top trumpet virtuosi but we have many cornet players who can show Wynton a thing or three! Most of them are unheard of and are likely to remain so,...brass bands here don't usually chase the limelight!

Someone in an earlier post mentioned Roger Webster who is quite a good player,...but he has recently been replaced at 'Black Dyke' by the fantastic Richard Marshal' who is a much better cornet player than both Roger and Wynton!
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Wynton in context. He isn't trying to play in the "UK cornet playing perspective"... he's playing in the "US cornet playing perspective"... which is like trying to compare apples to oranges. The only thing faintly similar between the two is that the instrument is called a "cornet". Even the design of the horns and the mouthpieces are different, never mind the music and style of playing.
TheLawTalkingGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall wrote:
Keep Wynton in context. He isn't trying to play in the "UK cornet playing perspective"... he's playing in the "US cornet playing perspective"... which is like trying to compare apples to oranges. The only thing faintly similar between the two is that the instrument is called a "cornet". Even the design of the horns and the mouthpieces are different, never mind the music and style of playing.

Exactly. My understanding (partly from the liner notes of Carnaval, and partly from interviews Wynton has given) was that Wynton wanted a sort of "tribute" to the early part of the 20th century, when the wind bands and their cornet soloists, like Herbert L. Clarke, were king. Clarke wrote two of the pieces (The Debutante and Valse Brilliante), one is an African American spiritual, and others are European (Arban's Carnaval of Venice and Fantaisie Brillante, Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee, Napoli). None of these would be what I'd consider exclusively traditional British brass band fare, although obviously brass bands may have recorded them

Apparently Wynton wasn't keen on the traditional versions, though, thus the Hunsberger arrangements.

The purpose of all music is "the glory of God and the re-creation of the human spirit." (J.S. Bach)

(Flag Graphics Courtesy of 3DFlags.com)
TurkeyHooNahNah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wynton is the Paganini of Trumpet.

Actually, people say that more about Sergei Nakariakov....
He even puts it on his cd's....
Wise3028
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Wynton do the "Carnaval" stuff live with the Eastman Wind Ensemble at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia when I was in college. Absolutely amazing!! I'm pretty sure somebody here on TH was in the Eastman Wind Enseble at the time.
Kanstul CC Pic.
Kanstul Chicago Flugel
Kanstul 700 Cornet customized w/copper bell
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob makes a very valid point! Black Dyke Mills are a band that would nock you over how well they can play, fantastic band! their rendition of the 1812 overture is breath taking!

i play cornet over in northern ireland and i have just seen the fodens richardson band play on friday night, mark wilkinson the principal would completely frighten you he is soo good! they played carival that night, i wager a note wasnt missed! they also have the incredible glyn williams :O that guy has talent beyond a joke... plays a piece called the 'courtois showcase' playing solos on:

euphonium
trombone
baritone
tenor horn
flugel horn
cornet
soprano cornet

and at the very end a few glock notes. the sad thing being he played the cornet much better than i could! but i realise i have gone off topic and probably have no point.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: