• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NB64 v. Curry 8.5DC Mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: NB64 v. Curry 8.5DC Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I just got my GR NB64 #3 cornet mp today. It plays nice and is comfortable, too. After I ordered it, I ended up not having my trumpet available for awhile so I bought a used Curry 8.5DC to use while the NB was being made. I know there are some differences but playing both, I just don't feel any difference at all. Anyone else have a similar cornet mp experience?

Stan
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried 2 different GR Sprax pieces and a Warburton BC and I sold both of the Sprax' s and kept the Warburton. It is amazing!
My thoughts.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better use the Curry when you play out because the replacement cost of the GR is so high. Don't want to damage or loose it. Get it insured too. Keep it in the safe deposit box maybe.
If you have a kid who plays cornet, you can present it to him at a certain age milestone, and in a few years he can present it to his kid...
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pfrank, I think you may be pulling my chain a little here, but hey, I can take it The reason that I got it was because I already had an NB64 for my trumpet that fits me fine. My cornet mp is the only custom ordered one I've done. They are nice, but I believe that equipment is to be used so I'll be playing it whenever and wherever.

Stan
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry, it was mostly just an opportunity to (try to) be funny. I rag on GRs from time to time--mostly their marketing strategy, and love Curry mps. (How he does it without referring to alpha angle is beyond me). The fact that one can buy 3 Curries, or 3 Storks, or 4 BachSchilkeYamaha for the price of one GR is totally irrelevant if you are rich, which most trumpet players are, especially when they are in school on student loans. I HOPE the reasonable priced makers stand pat with their lower price, bigger market share phylosophy.
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say enough good things about either Mark Curry or his fantastic mouthpieces. I have a 3DC with a symphonic backbore and #24 throat that produces an absolutely gorgeous tone. Tons of power and great control in all registers. Mark is one of the smartest guys in the business.

barry
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I had not considered the Curry pieces early on. I wish that I had. A friend loaned me a bunch of mp's to try. Real nice of him to do that. I bought the cornet 8.5 from him. Now I'm testing his curry 8.5 trumpet piece. I got a Kanstul 7c with my new horn and I really like the comfort of it and good tone. Had not considered Kanstul mp's either. I have also bought a Giardinelli trumpet mp, brand new, for $17. It's very well made and comfortable. It's a 10S and I just dink around with it. You can't beat it for $17. IMHO it's pretty expensive to get custom made high-end mps unless you already know it's exactly what you want.
update:
I'm going to buy my friends Curry 8.5C for my trumpet. Playing latin stuff, I like it as well or better than my NB64. When the size gets close, it's hard to choose. I'll just play em all over a longer period of time and see if a winner emerges.

Stan

Last edited by shastastan on Wed May 25, 2005 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank,
Thank you for ragging on us the odd time. If you like Mark's mouthpieces then go with them. Mark Curry is a great guy and deserves the business.

My one question to you is what marketing strategy do we use at GR that upsets you? Here is where we advertise...Our website, and the banner on the Trumpet Herald. That's it. We use science and math and we tell the truth. You have a problem with that?

By the way, terms like alpha angle were developed to specifically to define "undercut or relief". The alpha angle is measured in degrees. Relief or undercut is measured in who knows what? Why does anyone care? Go to the GR Website and find out. www.grmouthpieces.com

Brian Scriver
Marketing Strategist, GR Technologies
info@grmouthpieces.com
Solar Bell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfrank said
Quote:
The fact that one can buy 3 Curries, or 3 Storks, or 4 BachSchilkeYamaha for the price of one GR

I just looked, Curry mouthpieces are $66.00 for a standard mouthpiece.
GR mouthpieces are $125.00 for a standard.
Three times $66.00 = well, You do the math.
I would not trade my GR mouthpieces for any other.

Chuck Willard
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry and Stork are now $50 where I buy, but that is a new higher price. I bought all of mine for $40 each. You do the math. Yamaha is $38, Bach and Schilke are $35. I'm a believer...I believe I can spend less than you have too.

btw, "undercut or relief" can be measured. Changing the word used has no bearing on that. Actually, that's one of the weirdest arguments I've ever heard...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: