• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

45 minute practice routine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhodf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have only 45 minutes of playing that I can squeeze in per day. I want to be able to maximize my practice time and am looking for suggestions on how to incorporate the benefits of the Adam routine on a compressed practice schedule. As I understand it, it takes about 2 hours to complete the entire routine. As stated above, I do not have that much time available to practice. I also need to allow some time to practice performance music. Currently I do the Adam leadpipe exercise for about 5 minutes followed by the Adam long tone exercise which takes me about 15 minutes. After a couple minutes of rest, I continue with about 10 minutes of technical exercises. I rotate the technical section daily through the following areas: range, pedals, flow studies, long setting exercises, slurs, scales/arpeggios, intervals, grace notes/ornaments, tonguing, lip bends and attacks. I usually work on two of the above technical areas per day. I then work on either performance music or etudes for 10 minutes followed by a 2 minute rest break and a 5 minute warm down. This usually consists of either Clarke 1 descending or pedals.

I have been playing for over 20 years, but am rather new to the Adam routine. I am curious if it would be more beneficial to focus on doing more of the routine at the expense of my technical exercises in the short term and then after a period of months work back in the technical areas. I am also curious if it would be beneficial to rotate through the entire routine over a period of several days to be sure that all areas of the routine are covered? How essential is it that the entire routine is practiced? Are there some exercises in the routine that should be done daily, such as the leadpipe, while other only need to be done on occasion?

I would appreciate any clarification you could provide.

Thanks.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, whatever you do DON'T HURRY!

It is better to cover less material in a calm state of mind, relaxed energy, and not a trace of panic than it would be to cover tons of stuff. It isn't important to "get a lot in". Quality is the ticket.

Try this and see how it works. Remember to rest as much as you play...after every note on the leadpipe, every long tone, etc.

Play the concert Eb on the lead pipe 5 or 6 times tops. Take a big breath and let the air turn the sound on in the pipe. As soon as it settles down move on. Blowing the pipe isn't supposed to be a career.

Play the long tones as far as low C (14 notes). Don't hold them super long. 15-20 seconds is plenty. Equal rest between.

Play Clarke #1 nice and full. Only repeat each line once or at the most twice. Do the first 13 of these.

Get Aaron Harris's "Advanced Daily Studies" (actually originally written by Harry Glantz). Play the following exercises in the key of G only. Take your time and get a great tone on everything.

#1, 2, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23.

The next thing I would do is pp. 155 &/or 175 in Arban. Go slow and keep the air flowing and the pronunciation relaxed.

After this I would suggest that you focus your attention on music. Be especially sure to include some beautiful legato melodies like Concone, Rochut, or Arban's "Art of Phrasing" section.

Beyond this, depending on your level of skill and your stylistic interests, I would recommend devoting any remaining time to Charlier, Vannetelbosch, or jazz improvisation. In the interest of time you might rotate the Charlier with the improv, etc.

Above all don't hurry and keep your mind in the sound.

Let me know how it goes with this.
rhodf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the above suggestions. I am going to give this routine a try and see how it works for me. I do not have the Harris/Glantz Advanced Daily Studies book that you mentioned above. I found the following description on the Charles Colin website and wanted to verify that it is the test you are referring to. The description is as follows:

CCMS03 Advanced Studies, revised and enlarged edition, by Aaron Harris and Dr. Charles Colin. One of the 20th Century's most admired brass players and teachers, Aaron Harris has produced 150 pages of difficult, challenging studies for the advanced player. These studies develop technique, range, flexibility, endurance, complete mastery of all scales, chords, key signatures and thorough command of the variety of articulation available on the trumpet.

If this is not the book, let me know where I can order a copy.

Thanks.
PH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if that is the correct book. Let me browse the web and get back to you.
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Pat seems to have got lost somewhere.

My copy of Harris "Advanced Studies" CC MS03 only has about 123 pages and is not the one containing the Glantz material.

With the other ones it's all a bit confusing, I've
found:

Harris:Daily Routine Exercises CCMS10

Harris:Advanced Daily Studies CC1006
(I think this one might contain them-but I'm not sure you can get it at present)

Harris:Advanced Daily Routines CC2013

Harris:Intermediate Studies CCMS12
(This is a new publication and might be a re-issue of CC1006)

I'm afraid I only have the CC MS03 so we need a positive ID from Pat or someone else.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-08-22 04:38 ]
PH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one you want is CC1006. This is also part of the "Charles Colin complete Modern Method for Trumpet or Cornet", which might also be out of print these days.

I am not familiar with most of the other books on the list. It is NOT the "Advanced Studies" by Harris.

A credible source told me that the book was also once available as "Daily Warm-ups" by Charles Colin, although I am unable to confirm this.
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received "Advanced Daily Studies" from the Charles Colin Complete Modern Method which was listed as CC1006 though I can't find any catalogue number on the book itself. It does appear to be the right book as described by PH in an earlier post.

The book contains 29 exercises which always start in G Major and move upwards to F Major (F above High C seems to be the highest note) with the instruction "Also play in ..." . e.g. G Major can also be played in Gb by mentally changing the key signature.
The book dated 1975 consists of 20 numbered pages + 2 pages of adverts. After an introduction on page 2 the 29 exercises follow on pages 3 to 19.

There is no mention of Glantz or Harris.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2002-09-02 05:42 ]
PH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved-

Rhodf came into town for a lesson this week with CC1006 in tow. This is the current version of the Glantz book Mr. Adam uses.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey -

how is that I never heard the phrase "let the air turn the sound on in the pipe?" (As you blow the leadpipe) That's GREAT!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: