• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Big band / jazz flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Big band / jazz flugel Reply with quote

Hello,

Its my 18th Birthday today. I've been playing trumpet for a number of years and I'm now in a fairly good big band, so as a birthday present my parents got me a flugel horn (after me trying to save up for ages). They've got me a 2nd hand Getzen Eterna, that sounds very nice... but it can be returned if necessary... etc etc. The thing is, it sounds very different to a number of flugels i've blown in the past. I have the option of going and trying out a Yamaha Bobby Shew - has anyone got any opinions on either of the above horns or could recommend any others I should try? I read elsewhere on this site of intonation problems with the Getzen - it seems OK for me; its just a bit more difficult to blow than others.

Also, if I stick with the Getzen do mouthpieces make a lot of difference? I've been given a Bach 3CFL - I play a 1.5C and 3C on trumpet (not sure how much difference that makes).

My apologies if there's already thousands of threads like this, I did a search and couldnt find exactly what i needed.

Jon
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, nobody is going to be able to tell you that this horn will work better for you than that horn. Just can't be done. I would certainly expect you to have a strong preference for either the Getzen or Shew, just because they are so different.

As far as the mouthpiece, the flugelhorn mouthpiece shank has to match the receiver. Both Getzen and Yamaha use the large morse taper, and Bach uses the small morse taper. So they won't fit quite right. That's a separate issue from whether the flugelhorn rim, cup and backbore work for you. Here you have exactly the same issues as you do with a trumpet mouthpiece.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, JTk, and Welcome to TrumpetHerald ... we look forward to you posts !

And, also -- Happy Birthday!

I must agree with Tom LeCompte ... each individual has preferences in regard to specific characteristics of different horns. Mouthpieces can make the situation more confusing. Try not to complicate things at this point. Let your "hunches" guide you to a firm beginning on Fluegelhorn.

Good Luck --
Robert Rowe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: