• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why play trumpet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that I'm the first to post on this forum.

I play on a large bore silver shepherds crook Bach cornet. I think that this plays better then any trumpet that I have ever played on. I can't play Carnival Of Venice on my Monette.

The Monette plays a little better in tune and the notes are centered better, but All around I think the cornet plays the best.

Other Monette players please don't get mad at me. My Monette is a fantastic instrument but I really like the cornet.

What do you guys think?
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that cornet is a more forgiving instrument when it comes to articulation, and a more agile instrument than trumpet. I don't think it's really fair to compare the two as they are distinct instruments.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorah, a cornet forum!

Completely understand about using different instruments for different pieces. Cornet solos on a trumpet are possible, but they never feel quite right.

So glad to find out it's not just me!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are indeed two very different instruments, but the music is so often transferred from one to another with no thought.

I just thought it was nice that I wasn't alone in thinking that the cornet pieces work better on a cornet.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Olds Opera Cornet is the horn I have the most fun on.

My Olds Clark Terry Model Flugel horn is my baby, and makes me think of my idol CT!

I'm glad there is a forum to talk about our other horns!

Best,

Trent
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new member, so I'll drag this old topic to the top. I would identify myself as a cornet player who plays the trumpet when the circumstances require it. The cornet is a wonderful instrument and has a unique tone and flexibility. Cornet parts should not be played on a trumpet, and trumpet parts should not be played on a cornet. The composer has a certain sound in mind when scoring a piece, and that scoring should be honored. Hey, I like to sizzle on trumpet in a Big Band and cut through a Symphony on Eb trumpet, but in my mind, nothing's better than a traditional cornet solo.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wiping away the tears after selling my large bore (.468) Olds Ambassador 6A shepherd's crook cornet. It was the greatest cornet I ever owned! Had several cornets, including:

- 1900 Conn shepherd's crook New York Wonder,
- Connstellation (.485 bore),
- Late 19th Century Gautrot shepherd's crook

There are some things that just play better on cornet.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was raised on the trumpet, but after fifteen years I switched to cornet and I doubt I will ever go back. I am strictly a small group jazz player, and the agility, tone, and general ease of playing on the cornet has won me over. It is a beautiful instrument, and I can't believe it took me so long to find that out.

BTW, I currently play on a large bore Shephard's crook Bach Strad cornet, but I plan on purchasing a Wild Thing this summer.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I also play a large bore Bach 184 cornet, lacquered and with the optional gold brass bell. A great horn!
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the short shank deep V cup Yamaha 13E4 and a Claude Gordon CGP V cup mpc on my cornets. They are so fun to play... and "seems" easier to get around on compared to trumpet. I like the feel of the cornet being so "close" to my face. The dark and smooth sound, though somewhat smaller sound than trumpet, is great for jazz through a mic. I would use the Getzen in place of a flugel. Any flugels I have played are almost too big of a sound.... and my experience was that I really had to hold back and work at it when I needed a soft sound... much easier to accomplish on the cornet.

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also used a cornet for solo work in a big band & it's a nice change of pace. Too bad so many people see cornets as beginners' horns and not as a horn of choice for accomplished players. They don't know what they're missing.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why single out one or the other? Both offer different tonal characteristics.
Personally, I wouldn't want to hear cornets on Tchaikovskys 4th Symphony
or the opening to Brahms' "Academic Festival Overture". Nor would I want
to hear trumpets on Holsts military suites. Each has their place in specific
repertoire. No reason they can't cross-over in some areas, jazz being a
great example. I'm sure there are others. It's just too early to think of
them.

In final defense of the mighty trumpet, the good player can shade the tone
to make the horn sound like either a cornet or a knife edge. Herseth is a
master at that (I believe it was Solti that asked him how he was able to
change his sound to best fit the character of whatever piece they were
playing).

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I don't disagree with anything you said (I said pretty much the same thing in an earlier post). Each instrument has it's place. I guess I'm just a little frustrated about hearing cornet parts being played on trumpet. But you're right - a good trumpet player can come close to producing a cornet-like tone on the trumpet. Conversely, a bad cornet player will almost allways produce a trumpet-like tone on the cornet.
PhatMon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school concert band I was the only one who played cornet,even in jazz and marching band (silver plated selmer bundy..hey it got the job done). I do not have it anymore and the only cornet laying around is a Blessing Student model that I got off ebay for my neice untill I found out that she has to have a trumpet if she wants to be in 6th grade band next year (Olds Ambassador, so she is set). I would love to get a cornet and have been looking at quite a few. What would any of you recommend? I am a come back player, also like the shepards crook, and would mostly be used for dixie band style music. (cornet chop suey type stuff) In my arbans my instructor has been working on Fantasie Brilliante, and Carnival of Venice with me. My phaeton works fine but I feel a cornet would get the job done alot nicer.....so again any suggestions on a cornet for a comeback player.

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to Bach horns, and play a 184G Strad short model cornet. A friend let me try out his new Besson Prestige cornet, and I think I like it better than the Bach! The high-end Getzens and Yamahas are pretty good also. Don't forget the ever-popular Olds Ambassador (cheap admission to the cornet world). I have a customized one for sale in the marketplace now (not cheap, though).

I play in a British-style brass band and have had the opportunity to try out numerous cornets in the section. All of the modern horns have been good players, so I suppose the only way to really decide is to try as many different cornets as possible and pick the one that is the best fit for you.
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree. I love playing my cornets. I too use my Olds for flugelhorn parts... it sounds better to me. The intonation is spot on (unlike most flugels) and it has a much fuller sound and projects better.
I use my Conn for trumpet parts and with the right mouthpiece it does a greta job of it. As a matter of fact I like playing it better than my trumpet and my trumpet is a very good horn. One other thing... I was playing a couple of weeks ago and forgot that my parts called for a good bit of flugel and forgot my Olds, so I just pulled out my Warburton BC top and S10* bb and it sounded great. I have been tempted to sell my trumpet and do a little tweaking on my Conn.... maybe soon.

Thanks
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,

In my "final defense" comment earlier, I should also have stated I (and
most of the players I work with) INSIST on using cornets when called for.
I agree wholeheartedly that cornet parts should not be played on trumpet
unless there is no choice (conductor, money, etc.). I also wholeheartedly
agree with your observation that "a bad cornet player will almost always
produce a trumpet-like tone on the cornet". Touche'!!

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Yamaha 2330II?
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2330II and it's a fantastic little horn. It's a lot easier to blow than any trumpet that I've tried. I have had to ask myself why I just didn't get rid of my trumpet(s) and stick with this cornet. I guess it's the sound of the trumpet on some pieces that I just can't duplicate on my cornet, and since I have a nice trumpet, I don't want to try. The cornet is a new instrument for me this year. I've been told that the pro version of the Yamaha is even better than the 2330II but I love the tone on this horn and so do many who have posted on this forum. I got this horn in like-new condition on ebay for a great price. I have to plans to upgrade it any time soon since I'm quite happy with it.
mark schorah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since i changed my cornet mouthpiece to a bach 1 ive had much more joyu on it. I think that yes in certain situaltions cornets are better, but there are certain things that I think sound better on trumpet i.e. big band screaming and really high lip trills. Also when you want to get that growl sound, that always workls better on trumpet.

Well thats my opionion anyway

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: