• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry James Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conemaugh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecass wrote:
have all of you ever seen the Parduba double cup? Reminds me of something out of a 19th century dental kit.

I own a #4 and #5 Parduba double cup -- as well as other Bach mouthpieces. Admittedly, my #4, which is almost 45 years old, is not as shiny as my Bach 3C, but is one of my favorite choices when I need to play in the upper register. Both double cup mouthpieces have hand stamped numbering on them. The mouth pieces look old because they are, like me. I'm sure these two mouthpieces came out of a low production assembly line compared to Bach's output.

Although I bought both #4 and #5 at the same time, one can see which mouthpiece I prefer just by looking at the wear on the mouthpieces. The #4 is my favorite mouthpiece.

Although I can play in the upper register (high C and above) with my Bach 3C, the Parduba double cup #4 keeps my endurance from wanning. I have been told that Parduba double cup mouthpieces are known as "cheater" mouthpieces. I guess I'm just a cheater...

Last edited by conemaugh on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ain't cheatin, that's for sure.
conemaugh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecass wrote:
You ain't cheatin, that's for sure.

Thanks. If I have been cheatin, I've been cheatin for over 45 years and no one has ever complained about my tonality, etc.
dcjacobson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although I can play in the upper register (high C and above) with my Bach 3C, the Parduba double cup #4 keeps my endurance from wanning.

I'm impressed, because I had a Parduba piece (can't remember which size) but gave up on it because it had the most uncomfortable rim I've ever experienced--it was, for me, the epitome of the true "cookie-cutter." My lips still smart when I think about it!
dcjacobson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although I can play in the upper register (high C and above) with my Bach 3C, the Parduba double cup #4 keeps my endurance from wanning.

I'm impressed, because I had a Parduba piece (can't remember which size) but gave up on it because it had the most uncomfortable rim I've ever experienced--it was, for me, the epitome of the true "cookie-cutter." My lips still smart when I think about it!
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have used that mouthpiece for 45 years! That is amazing in itself. I commend you. Mr. James got a great sound with that mouthpiece. Well, that was kinda "space age" when it was released. When my father tried to switch Louis Armstrong over, Mr Armstrong said, "you don't change horses in the middle of the stream". So, if it works, don't fix it right!? Just look at Armstrong's early piece he used for years that had massive grooves all the way around it and flat as heck, it cut him up seriously, but he used that piece religiously for a long time.
ShawnMAnderson

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: According to historical notes... Reply with quote

The Double-Cup patent was filed for Dec 1933 and granted in 1935. (It's the government...and 1930s government.) Harry was playing a gig across the street from the Parduba shop in 1938 when he first tried it.

I have a hand-stamped #5 with H.James on it which shows the patent number (no mention of pending) and residual gold-plate. Apparently you could get them in silver-plate for $20 or gold-plate at $26.

Does anyone know for how long Parduba was hand-stamping the H.James model before moving to machine presses? I've never seen another hand-stamped piece but know they exist.

I spoke to Tony Scodwell over the phone two-days ago and he still has a hand-stamped one Harry gave him back in the day. How is that for a cool piece of history to be given directly from Harry?

It would be nice to get a feel for how many of the hand-stamped pieces are out there. Later in life Jo Parduba said he had no idea how many TOTAL pieces he made over his life, but estimated 50,000.
5 x C Strad's 229/239/236G/ C Spada
1 x Kanstul 1600S
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through posts, I read that some people thought that Harry James didn't have any range. WHAT NONSENSE!

It just amazes me how Harry James seems to be an after thought after all these years, versus more recent trumpet players. To me, Harry James was the best ever. Range??? He didn't need to be a screamer. Harry James had a quality tone . The pure sound & tone that came out of his horn was analogous to Pavarotti & the 3 Tenors pure singing talent put together. To that end, Harry didn't play the trumpet; rather Harry sang the trumpet it it's purest sound, voice & tone. NO ONE played like that. His sound & tone was like olive oil. To me, it's like golf. You have long drive champions that can it a ball 450 yards, but their regular game (short game, putting) leave a lot to be desired. Harry didn't have to be a long drive champion, because he was Jack Nicolaus 10 times over on the horn in it's purest form. Will never be another that can make a horn sound like his did. (Range my $%^&*)!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Reading through posts, I read that some people thought that Harry James didn't have any range. WHAT NONSENSE!

It just amazes me how Harry James seems to be an after thought after all these years, versus more recent trumpet players. To me, Harry James was the best ever. Range??? He didn't need to be a screamer. Harry James had a quality tone . The pure sound & tone that came out of his horn was analogous to Pavarotti & the 3 Tenors pure singing talent put together. To that end, Harry didn't play the trumpet; rather Harry sang the trumpet it it's purest sound, voice & tone. NO ONE played like that. His sound & tone was like olive oil. To me, it's like golf. You have long drive champions that can it a ball 450 yards, but their regular game (short game, putting) leave a lot to be desired. Harry didn't have to be a long drive champion, because he was Jack Nicolaus 10 times over on the horn in it's purest form. Will never be another that can make a horn sound like his did. (Range my $%^&*)!

+1
I couldn't have said it better.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you George.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread and nobody in this thread said that HJ didn't have range.
And there will always be some freaks, fortunately with their own playground in the high note department, who have the opinion that there was only one real trumpetplayer in the history of mankind: MF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: