• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rudy Muck mouthpiece won't fit my Bach Strad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldOlds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Rudy Muck mouthpiece won't fit my Bach Strad Reply with quote

I happened on a 17c Rudy Muck trumpet mouthpiece but it won't seat right in my 70's Bach trumpet. It's too small for the trumpet and too big for my Olds cornet. Anyone have any insight?
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelhorn piece?
greg warthan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Is The Bach a Strad model or one of the Mercedes models. I use a 37 from around 2000 and just stuck a Muck 19c in. MIne has a good fit. If not an obvious flugel piece, I would measure the shank diameter at a fixed point on the Muck and a known good fitting piece. Mark the point where the good one fits and measure from the end of the shank up to the mark. Need to use a caliper. Measure the Muck at the same distance from the end. If it is a trumpet piece, it might be bottoming where the receiver meets the lead pipe. I've seen this on brand new horns. Does not take a big change in diameter to have a dramatic impact on insertion depth. Hope this is easy to understand and helpful.
OldOlds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet is a Strad 37 ML. The RM mouthpiece is bottoming out, and is a little shorter than any of my other mouthpieces. I think I'll have a friend bring over his flugel and try it.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this a new Rudy Muck mouthpiece you should notify the vendor for a replacement. If this is a vintage mouthpiece, it may have been designed for Kings and other brands of the 40's and 50's that used a smaller shank.

Try the mouthpiece on other trumpets. If they work, then your Bach receiver may be worn - not very likely - but possible.

No good solution for you except having the top cut and threaded for Warburton threaded backbores that will fit.

You might find this interesting.

https://rudymuck.info/index.html
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy Muck trumpets and mouthpieces were made in England after New York in an era when the shanks in Europe were different than the US. That’s why Selmer put the K-Modified receiver on their French made trumpets to sell here.

You may have a European Rudy Muck model with a smaller shank.
OldOlds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729. That could be it. It was found in the back room of a music store and no one can remember when it came in. It doesn't fit a flugel, either. It must be European or a custom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: