• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 20B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
god's horn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Conn 20B Reply with quote

Hey all, I have a question for all who would know.

I have a Conn 20B, which I've owned since the 6th grade. I always knew that it was a "student model" trumpet, but didn't realize how much of a student model horn it actually is. I've just been looking for selling prices of this horn on the net, and the highest I've found is $195. I've even seen it selling on ebay for $20!!!

So, this may be a stupid question, but could the low quality of this horn be the reason I struggle so hard to play good in the upper register? My middle and lower registers seem to play fine... perhaps slurring and legato could be better, but I've assumed that I simply need more practice in those areas.

Put it this way, I've been playing with a Yamaha 14a4a for about 6 years, mainly for the upper register assistance. A's just above the staff can still be a struggle. I just switched to a Monette B6, and the upper register seems to be even more of a struggle! (could be an acclimation time)

It seems logical to suggest that a big part of the problem could be the horn itself. Anybody have any comments?

I've been looking into different kinds of new trumpets, i.e - harrelson, Monette, Taylor... yes, I'd like something unique and stylish, along with the quality (no bachs, benge's, etc.)

... or perhaps I just need to keep practicing.

"Your fruitfullness is directly connected to your discomfort level." - Micheal Pitts
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried out any mass produced "pro-level" horns (Bach, Yamaha, etc.) to determine if you have a horn or practice problem? I'd sure try that before spending the bucks for a boutique horn that does you no good.
god's horn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point. I'm sure I'll be doing that.

There was one nice bach horn that two of my buddies in high school ended up owning. They seemed to play nice, but I can't remember if it was a real improvement for me. It was about 6 years ago.

"Your fruitfullness is directly connected to your discomfort level." - Micheal Pitts
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be you've outgrown the Director, but ask yourself these questions first.

1. How much practice time do you put in? If you think it is not enough, then bring it up to your standards . If you are putting in a solid effective practice schedule, move on to #2.

2. Is what I am practicing supporting the sound concept I want to achieve in my head? I threw myself aginst the range wall for years, because my practice didn't support my objective. Endless characteristic studies below high C will not increase my range. Endurance, intonation, and flexibility, yes, but not range. Now my focus is purposely AWAY from range, trying to rebuild what I used to have. However it ain't about me, just giving an example. If what you are practicing does not support your objective, change your practice routine. If it does, move on to #3.

3. Is it easier to achieve my objective on another trumpet or cornet? On this one, you need to find out who your friends are, and if they have anything they can loan you to play for several days. Take notes about what works better or worse than your Director. Make note of bore size, brand, valve action, ease of playing, and how it sounds both to you and to anyone listening. If the answer is no, it is not easier to achieve your goal with another trumpet or cornet, keep trying other instruments. If it is yes, and yes with several other trumpets, then you have outgrown the Director.

The Directors were a good solid student instrument for many years, and some of the older coprion bell late '50's and early '60's models are still considered good players. As with all student models, heavier bracing to withstand the rigors of beginner players and tighter leadpipes to make a good sound easier to achieve were used. This is also true of the Olds Ambassador, recognised as the epitome of the student line trumpet. Many people have replaced the tight Olds leadpipe and say it is a great all around trumpet at that point. You might want to consider that as an option for your Director, although from an investment standpoint I would not recommend it. For the 200 or so you would spend, you could pick up a better trumpet with a little luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: