• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip imprints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_66_mario
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Lip imprints Reply with quote

Ok i really didn't know where i should post this question, so i figured i would post it here and just see if there were any products to help this. I am already starting to get a perminent imprint on my lips of were my mouthpiece goes, and i am also getting an imprint of my teeth in my bottom lip. This thing on my bottom lip really hurts when i play for a while, does anyone know anything I could do about this. Thanx
Ben
gbchriste

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less mountpiece pressure, perhaps?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever look at photos of the great trumpet players in their later years? Their upper lips are mashed into all sorts of mouthpiece-induced shapes. I've been playing for about 40 years and have a nice semi-circular mouthpiece scar on my upper lip so far. Lower lip gets chewed up inside sometimes, but usually only after a LONG, strenuous gig. Too much pressure? Probably - but it's pretty widespread in the trumpet playing community.
BPinard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dale said, many people have this problem. I'd recommend using arnica cream on the affected area. I just started using it and I noticed improved flexibility (less stiffness). It's also good for lip healing and promoting lip circulation. The tube I bought only cost $7 with tax. Vitamin/health stores usually have it.

[tpt: Yamaha Xeno Custom]

[mpc: Monette B6]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shulman system can relieve some pressure.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a teacher?
Have you asked them about this?

Much as I agree with most of the above, I would suggest that a live teacher can take a look at what you are doing, in person, and be able to help more than anyone on TH will, withouth being able to see what you are actually doing.
kitjacoby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with trumpetmike. Get a teacher, or at least someone you know who's played the trumpet for some years and would know what they were talking about. You wouldn't ask a mechanic to fix your car over the phone!!!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lip imprints Reply with quote

ben_66_mario wrote:
Ok i really didn't know where i should post this question, so i figured i would post it here and just see if there were any products to help this. I am already starting to get a perminent imprint on my lips of were my mouthpiece goes, and i am also getting an imprint of my teeth in my bottom lip. This thing on my bottom lip really hurts when i play for a while, does anyone know anything I could do about this. Thanx
Ben

The cause of this or determining if there is a problem is impossible for anyone to determine over the internet. As far as I can tell, some people have no "imprint" and some do.
karlose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are developing is a calous. Some trumpet players use them to their advantage and others don't like them. If used to your advantage, they can really get the lip vibrating REALLY fast, thus making the higher register easier to play (Look at Jon Faddis). In regards to the bottom lip, It's jus tthe nature of the beast. Less pressure is definatly the way to go, but if you want to play loud, then you need SOME pressure.

I had a teacher once tell me to use Vagisil on my lip to remove the calous. I don;t know how he learned this, but it works!

Good Luck

Marcinkiewicz™ Rembrandt™ "MIC GILLETTE" Model: SC3X.351L RLP Trumpet

F.E. Olds & Son "Clark Terry" Flugelhorn

"SHUT UP AND PLAY!!"
ben_66_mario
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to my instructor today and he said that it was probably to much lip pressure and i should just try not to play as much over the weekend, to allow my bottom lip to heal.
Ben
bigpatg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the problem is bothering you on the inside of your lis as well carmine caruso recomended that a small piece of wax like candy wax be placed across the teeth where the problem is and this will provide some comfort as well as help to minimize the pressure used. just like someone who plays using braces.
trumpetjennifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing for 18 years and I do have a "permaring", pretty obvious on my upper lip. Too much pressure over the years.

Lipstick will just cover that thing right up! The joys of being a girl trumpet player!
Tanze Samba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - guys can skip over this post, as it will just make your eyes roll BUT...since TrumpetJennifer brought up the subject of lipstick and being a female trumpet player - I have a question for the ladies of the forum. Have any of you found a brand of lipstick that actually stays on your lips and doesn't end up either all over your face or inside the cup of your mouthpiece? I hate the idea of not using lipstick, as I have the rest of my makeup on and I think it looks silly to not be wearing any lipstick. What do the rest of you ladies do?
trumpetangel13
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go nude....... in the lipstick department.
sometimes a nice clear gloss gives you a done up look and no tell tale signs on the mouth piece.
thats what my girlfriends do, but personally i can't stand anything on my mouth when i play. the mouth piece just doesn't fit right and it slips and slides and its horrible
Revelation8:10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: