• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

wolfpak case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
missouri_trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: wolfpak case Reply with quote

im looking at getting a wolfpak single because they seem pretty durable. but does anyone else think that pink stripe is less than cool?
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about it. I've got the wolfpak single and I NEVER worry about my horn getting damaged. If you want to avoid the pink stripe and still get the same level of protection check out the Topedo bag. Super cool looking, extremely protective and no pink stripe.
Gnostic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: wolfpak case Reply with quote

I use the double case, the best case I have used. I like their mouthpiece cases as well.

missouri_trumpet wrote:
im looking at getting a wolfpak single because they seem pretty durable. but does anyone else think that pink stripe is less than cool?
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, the Torpedo bag is a bit more well-made than the wolfpak and has a few more options for carrying things (optional book and mute pouch).

They're about the same price, too.

Cheers!
Aaron Norlund
Slidebone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
As far as I can tell, the Torpedo bag is a bit more well-made than the wolfpak and has a few more options for carrying things (optional book and mute pouch).

They're about the same price, too.

Cheers!
Aaron Norlund

Quality is an issue regarding the Wolfpak. I have worked with quite a few trumpet players who have these cases.

1. one players handles and zippers broke. Had to send it to a luggage repair shop.
2. another players wheels and hardware broke off
3. third players handles popped off.

Torpedo Cases are highly crafted and I have heard great reviews about them. Superb single case.

If you are looking for a double than opt for the Marcus Bonna Triple Case
This case can be used to carry 3 trumpets of trumpet and flugel. Mutes and accessories can be stored. Backpack straps and handles.
Excellent quality and craftsmanship.

Worth checking out.

www.slidebone.com
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Torpedo bag shortly after they came out. I was in a Navy band stationed overseas at the time. I needed something tough enough to be strapped onto a pallet with lots of instruments and heavy sound gear and loaded into the belly of a plane or back of a cargo truck etc. And we spent LOTS of time on the road.
The Torpedo Bag performed like a CHAMP. I put oh maybe 15 years of normal wear and tear on the thing in a short 2 year time span. Still going strong. Not a single rip, tear, puncture, dent, or ding.
This is a solid single case that will likely serve you well throughout your entire career.
I also have had a Marcus Bona triple for about ten years. This is also a great case that has stood the test of time. Not quite as bulletproof as the torpedo. I've had some small fabric tearing on the inside and some stitching around the zipper of the music pouch and handles that came loose. That's ten years of solid wear though, not bad. It has performed well structurally, where it counts!
edit: I should add though that I just looked at the M. Bona cases on slidebone and it looks as though they have since redesigned the outside of the cases. The music pouch and handle sections look like they've improved considerably in ten years. I may look to them for a quad if I need it.
Ummm, I've also owned two single Wolfpaks. These are very protective cases as well. They are much lighter than the Torpedo. Did have some fabric come loose on the outside after 4 years on one of them. And...I was never once insecure about that pink stripe.
Jason
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add one more thing, then retreat to my corner. Cases these days have been designed to be much more structurally sound than in the past. The one thing I HAVE been bothered by is the integrity of the outside of the case. Zippers, fabric, handles, stitching, pouches, etc. can all fail LONG before the the protective structure of the case itself. Sometimes they can be repaired and sometimes you're stuck with a case that continues to degrade cosmetically over time. Not to say that these manufacturers haven't improved these aspects of their cases, but be cautious and inspect these matters well before buying.

Looking at the SKB and Walt Johnson cases I see no issues with the external make-up of the case. How are the latches on these cases? Anyone? I understand they are also very structurally sound. In fact, they look a bit old school. Definitely no BS designs without stitching or zipper issues. You could dress up the outside with all those stickers you've been saving up. I saw a trombone case on slidebone that was made of kevlar and carbon fibre. Very cool, lightweight and strong. They need a trumpet case!
Anyway, there's my $.03, don't spend it all in one place.
Jason
gchun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Walt Johnson cases Reply with quote

I have the same concerns about zippers and fabrics as JJohnson. I have 3 Walt Johnson cases (single trumpet, trumpet/flugel combo and single flugel) Definitely rock solid. (Wasn't the old joke that Walt's case has to be bulletproof since he played lead for Sinatra?) I have flown with the single with no issues with security. Took a fall with the single case, having it fly about 6 feet from me on to concrete. Absolutely NO damage to the horn or case. I have no fear about damage with these cases, except to doorframes, car trunk openings, etc. I've put a few dents into my house's door. They cost a lot, but are well worth it to protect your horns.

So far, the Johnson cases are the only ones I feel comfortable having someone else carry, or have put on an equipment truck.

The latches are great. The ones I have have the anvil case style "twist" latch. One has a hasp for a padlock. I've seen other WJ cases with the Haliburton style latches, which look more stylish, but equally as sturdy.

One exception, as I get older and my shoulder problems worsen, the cases can be heavy at times. I find using two straps (backpack style) instead of the single shoulder strap helps alot. While I can do this on the single cases, I can't do the backpack straps on the trumpet/flugel combo. I've also been investigating other brands, such as Marcus Bonna.

The problem I have with the SKB trumpet case: The flat, center piece is not that firm. You can press down on it and the case WILL flex. Not too protective.

Another option is Halliburton. I had someone make me one that fit a single Bb and 3 mute. Great case. Very protective and light. However, the foam disintegrated in a few years. Also, finding just the right size can be an issue.

Garry
gchun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Walt Johnson cases Reply with quote

I have the same concerns about zippers and fabrics as JJohnson. I have 3 Walt Johnson cases (single trumpet, trumpet/flugel combo and single flugel) Definitely rock solid. (Wasn't the old joke that Walt's case has to be bulletproof since he played lead for Sinatra?) I have flown with the single with no issues with security. Took a fall with the single case, having it fly about 6 feet from me on to concrete. Absolutely NO damage to the horn or case. I have no fear about damage with these cases, except to doorframes, car trunk openings, etc. I've put a few dents into my house's door. They cost a lot, but are well worth it to protect your horns.

So far, the Johnson cases are the only ones I feel comfortable having someone else carry, or have put on an equipment truck.

The latches are great. The ones I have have the anvil case style "twist" latch. One has a hasp for a padlock. I've seen other WJ cases with the Haliburton style latches, which look more stylish, but equally as sturdy.

One exception, as I get older and my shoulder problems worsen, the cases can be heavy at times. I find using two straps (backpack style) instead of the single shoulder strap helps alot. While I can do this on the single cases, I can't do the backpack straps on the trumpet/flugel combo. I've also been investigating other brands, such as Marcus Bonna.

The problem I have with the SKB trumpet case: The flat, center piece is not that firm. You can press down on it and the case WILL flex. Not too protective.

Another option is Halliburton. I had someone make me one that fit a single Bb and 3 mute. Great case. Very protective and light. However, the foam disintegrated in a few years. Also, finding just the right size can be an issue.

Garry
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt Johnson is the way to go!
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering? how much do these Walt Johnson cases go for brand new these days??
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quad is somewhere around $600.
Slidebone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cujazztrpt wrote:
Just wondering? how much do these Walt Johnson cases go for brand new these days??

WJ cases are available.

Drop me an "e" for the discounted prices !!!!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a wolfpack single for my Lawler Bb and i donr worry for my horn no more.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: