• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pencil Microphones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Pencil Microphones Reply with quote

Hi there all,

A few days back there was a discussion about how trumpet CDs are recorded. Of course, the topic of "budget" recording came up (blame me) and I asked what the best way to go about micing a trumpet is. A couple of people mentioned pencil mics.

Now, the only model mentioned was the Studio Projects C4 which can be bought as a matched pair for $300. I was also wondering about the Rode NT5, another comparable pencil mic I've heard about which can be had as a matched pair for the same $$.

I ask about the NT5 because, though they generally sell for $400 as a pair, they are readily available on ebay for $100 less though the C4s are only available for the $300.

Basically, I'm curious if anyone has experience with the two different mics and if you could shed some light on their characteristics. I will probably either be micing a piano, a trumpet at around five feet, or a room for ambience at about twenty-five feet. If there are other pencils I should consider in this price range, please let me know.

Also, what about the CAD GXL3000/2x GXL1200 studio pack that can be had for $300?

Thanks for your help!
Aaron Norlund
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron -

You have to be the ultimate judge of these mics, so why not order all of them from a reputable dealer, try some recording with them, and return the ones you don't like.

I think they are all pretty close in performance, so you are going to get a nice set either way.

Don't forget to budget some money for a nice preamp too. Great mics in mediocre preamps sound mediocre. Good mics in great preamps sound great!
Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: