• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

the only true embouchure teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hairy james

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt from 1979 to 1985 I just want to say thanks to Rich for getting this thing started. It's high time that this master teacher/genius got some positive recognition from the brass world. It's probably not well known because Doc was never one to bragg about famous players that came to see him, but he taught more of them than than any of the other so called "chop doc's". YOU WANT NAMES? I'LL GIVE YOU NAMES: Lead trumpet players: Bernie Glow, Ray Wetzel, Alec Fila, Art Depew, Buddy Childers, Stan Mark, Don Paladino, Bud Brisbois, Lin Biviano, Johnny Madrid and Lyn Nicholson. Jazz trumpet players: Nick Travis, Red Rodney, Jimmy McPartland, John Swanna, Doc Cheatham and Wallace Roney. Lead trombone players: Billy Rauch, Dick Noel, Milt Bernhardt, Tommy Pederson, Warren Covington and Randy Purcell. Jazz trombone players: Trummy Young, Quentin Jackson and the two most famous of all, Bill Harris and Kai Winding.

And these are only the ones I know about on trumpet and trombone in the popular music field. He also taught many trumpet, trombone, french horn and tuba players in the classical music field.

May God Bless Doc Reinhardt wherever he may be for I owe him my career as a brass player. To quote Roger Homefield who was lead trombone with Buddy Rich, Stan Kenton and Maynard Ferguson who was responsible for my studying with Doc. "Doc was the only true embouchure teacher."

Chris LaBarbera

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-08-26 23:32 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hairy james

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DSR ! I like your style. Did you study with Doc ? Did we ever run into each other on Chestnut Street ? I see that your username is Doc's initials, do you know what the "S" stood for? It was his mothers maiden name " Shelly". Thanks again for the AMEN !!!!!! Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-08-27 17:46 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Believe it or not, I'm actually an 18 year old from Canada. I have never studied with Reinhardt, however my father (IVA) did in '72-'73. Up until near the end of grade 12 I had huge embouchure issues...I mean terrible!!! So I picked up the encyclopedia and haven't stopped reading since. Although I've never met him, Doc's encyclopedia has been a saviour to my trumpet playing. I still have a lot of problems with my playing mechanics, (don't we all!) however I now know exactly what I have to do to fix them. I cannot say enough about the guy...he is a genius. I will continue to spread the word about his teachings/encyclopedia.

What would be really helpful is if I could get a lesson or two from a Pivot System teacher, but that would require a LONG trip to the states.

By the way Rich, do you know Chase Sanborn? My dad was working/playing with him at a jazz camp two weeks ago. He mentioned Chase mentioning you mentioning something great about Reinhardt. Just though I'd make a connection.

Thanks.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-28 01:52, DSR wrote:
By the way Rich, do you know Chase Sanborn? My dad was working/playing with him at a jazz camp two weeks ago. He mentioned Chase mentioning you mentioning something great about Reinhardt. Just thought I'd make a connection.

We know each other only through the internet & email correspondence. I traded him two of my CDs for two of his, and he actually coughed up the dough to buy a couple of my Bop Duet books (he even claimed to like them).

I don't know where in Canada you are, but it couldn't be that expensive to fly to Miami and study with Chris LaBarbera . . . Dave Sheetz lives close to Atlantic City; Doug Elliot and Don Junker (two I know of) are in the Washington D.C. area. And you can find more on the www.pivotalk.com website. In fact, Bill Gibson is way up north there in South Dakota . . . he's a very devout student of Reinhardt.

I flew from Tampa to Philadelphia many times, then from Dallas to Philadelphia every couple months for three years before finally moving to Philadelphia. I'd say that if your chops get bad enough (like mine did) that you'd probably consider traveling long distances a very small price to pay to get some relief.

Just a thought . . . what do I know?

Thanks.

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DSR, Whats your first name, I feel a little bit funny calling you by Doc's initials. Listen, if you ever need any Reinhardt chop advice I'd be glad to help you any way I can. But first there is something you should know, If I played the trumpet the way I type I would be working at McDonalds. If you have a question that requires a lengthy answer it could take me hours to type it with one finger. So if you have something you want to know about I would much prefer the good old fashioned telephone. If you are intrested I can e-mail you my phone number. One more thing, I'm sure Chase Sanborn is a nice guy and a fine player. You have to have respect for anybody who can bounce back from Bells palsy the way he did. But I think I saw some pedal tone routines in one of his books when I checked out his website. Doc told us all NEVER TO PLAY PEDAL TONES! especially a type IV. The type IIIA can get away with playing them because the placement is so high, but pedal tones to any upstream type are like POISON! I read somewhere that Bud Brisbouis ( a perfect type IV ) tried doing pedal tones for a few days and totally lost his high chops. Keep that in mind. Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-08-28 12:44 ]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doc told us all NEVER TO PLAY PEDAL TONES! especially a type IV. The type IIIA can get away with playing them because the placement is so high, but pedal tones to any upstream type are like POISON! I read somewhere that Bud Brisbouis ( a perfect type IV ) tried doing pedal tones for a few days and totally lost his high chops. Keep that in mind. Chris

No pedal tones? Can you elaborate on why? As an upstream trombonist (type IVa, I believe) I have had trouble with the low register, but not found it detrimental to my playing. If anything, working on my pedal tones has helped my trombone playing.

Could this be an issue only for trumpet, where pedal tones are infrequently played in actual music anyway?

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: Wilktone on 2002-08-28 13:30 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-28 13:29, Wilktone wrote:
No pedal tones? Can you elaborate on why? As an upstream trombonist (type IVa, I believe) I have had trouble with the low register, but not found it detrimental to my playing. If anything, working on my pedal tones has helped my trombone playing.

Could this be an issue only for trumpet, where pedal tones are infrequently played in actual music anyway?

In my pages and pages of handouts that Doc gave me, it says repeatedly, "Positively no pedal tones on trumpet while under my tutelage."

As both a trumpet student and a trombone student, I can say that yes, Doc was a pedal tone advocate for trombonists.

You're okay doing pedal tones on trombone, Wilktone.

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said no pedal tones for trumpet only, on trombone no problem. Chris
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

The name is Brendan McLean.

That would be just swell if I could get your email address. It would be nice to have someone proffesional to consult over the phone regarding the PS.

I have Chase's book "The Brass Tactics Companion" and as I recall there are pedal tone exercises in there. Don't worry, after reading Reinhardt's book I have not paid any attention to them.

Take Care,

Brendan

BTW: Do you have any relation to Pat LaBarbera?

[ This Message was edited by: DSR on 2002-08-29 02:13 ]
hairy james

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan, you can e-mail me at viconmed@aol.com. Hope to hear from you soon. Chris
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

especially take note of new-4 I think it is pretty interesting........"Buzzing Firmness" what an original concept!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan;
I am also available to try and answer any questions you may have.
I studied with Doc from 1974-1986.
He was the greatest, I owe him everything
Please feel free to email me off list for contact information.
WEG
hairy james

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brendan (DSR), Where have you been? Have'nt heard from you in a while. Drop me an e-mail sometime. Chris.
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all!

Sorry for the lack of posts Chris. Life has been hectic as I am in the process of getting settled in my first year of university. As soon as I can get an internet connection in my res room I will once again be active on the Reinhardt forum. That should be in less than a week. For now, I'm just reading posts using library computers.

Happy pivoting!

Brendan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: