• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Keeping a Practice diary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Keeping a Practice diary Reply with quote

I got this idea from another post, and I had a few questions. I want to start keeping a practice diary...I've hit a low point in my motivation to practice, and I want to get out of it as soon as humanly possible.

So, that being said, what things should I be writing about? Does anyone else keep a practice diary/journal?

Thanks guys.
Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head...

- Duration of practice sessions (and frequency)
- Improvements you notice
- (for the lack of a better term) Deimprovements you notice
- Discomfort
- Reasons why anything might be so (swelling due to XXXXX, etc.)
- Equipment changes
- Recent ensemble playing
- Practice objectives (fundamental, solo preparation, etc.)

And you can probably think of a bunch too.
J. Crowley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write down whenever I practice and what I practice. It has really helped me keep balenced, IE not too much one day and too little the next. I divide my practice routine into sections for example "warm-up", "flexibilities, Longtone, Pedal tones", and "articulation, wide intervals, quiet playing"...plus whatever jazz stuff I'm workin' on. So in the practice journal it says "Warm-up 11:00-11:30", "Flex. 1:00-1:30", "Art. 3:00-3:30" etc. It helps me also spread my practicing out, and if i have a gig, or play real hard one day...the day after i'm a little slow, but the day after that is usually the off day. I'll also write down if i'm having a bad day, and write "air leakage in upper register", or "feels great, ringing high C's" etc...it works for me, try it out, if it works for you keep doing it..if not...toss it.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lara,

Here's something that I wrote a few years ago called An Introduction to Maintaining a Practice Log and Recording Practice. You might find some ideas that are helpful for you in this link.

I found that I had many ideas that I wanted to ask my instructor or on Internet sites, but when I was actually in a position to ask a question my mind would go blank and I couldn't verbalize my question. The practice journal helped me to capture those thoughts, contemplate them, and then ask my questions.

After nine months of journaling I found that I was very good at identifying specific aspects in my playing that I needed to address, and when I was in a position to ask a question (in any situation), I had a shopping list of questions to pull from.

The other suggestions already posted are very good. You will be able to keep track of your accomplishments in this way. The practice journal can work in lots of different ways.

Have fun with it!
GrumpyPe0n
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem that can occur with a practice log is becomming too techincal and unflexible with your practices. For instance: if you have a routine that you write down to practice, and you find that that warm up and whatnot makes your practice sound GREAT. That's great, however you won't always sound great. How you sound has much more to do than the excerises that you play, it's HOW you play them.

So let's say you're having a bad day. You figure you can play that warm up and sound great, like you did the day before. But for some reason-it doesnt work. You are still having range issues, and your chest feels tight etc etc.

When writing down a routine, don't let it get to your head that "I sound best when I do this this and this" Every day is different. You have to know the problem that you're having and know how to fix it. A set routine wont do this.

When I warm up I have a general routine I do. But depending on what is troubling me that morning, I act accordingly. If my chest feels tight, I do some breathing excersises and work on the breathing bag. If i'm having resonance trouble, I work on the mouthpiece a bit in the low register, concentrate on a slow easy air stream and make all the notes just happen.

Of course you strive for consistency on all levels. So when you create a routine for yourself to practice, or log your routines, make sure not too follow it too religiously and stay as flexible as possible.
Socrates
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just begun about my sixth practice journal. Normally I get to about page three and my entries stop, however I'am now taking it a bit more seriously. I take kind of a different approach than the general, "11:00 warm-up, 3:00 Arban pg. 125". I do write down what I practice, but it's more than just a log. I try to write about how each practice session went, if I felt great, if I felt tight, or if things are not going well. This way you may be able to find some pattern as to what days go well and what days don't. I usually write how concerts went too, endurance, comfort, musical aspects , and usually what warm-up, or how much playing I did before the concert.

Also, I never go to a masterclass or a lesson without it. I have found in the past I forget things I want to remember right after say a lesson, or masterclass. With my journal I can always jot down some things.

P.S.
In this ITG article about Adolph Herseth, he mentions his blue notebook, might give you another idea. Great article too!
http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/2004journal/200401Herseth.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: