• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Creative Band Recruiting?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Creative Band Recruiting? Reply with quote

Anyone have ideas for Creative band Recruiting? I am student teaching at a smaller school with a dying program. I want to try and get as many people in the band as possible, but a lot of kids have quit because of a bad teacher in the middle school. Any ideas would be great!
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emphasize the fun and good times, rather than all the things that persons of youth tend to steer clear of (work, not talking, etc.).
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play a good variety of music - newer tunes that they will know, older ones that they might not - slow/fast etc.

Have a sense of humour.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a big ol assembly. And play a whole ton of funn stuff the kids will love. We had some back home both by the instrument suppliers and local musicians. Both went well.

Play a whole bunch of stuff they will enjoy. There was a Brass quintet that came. They had all sorts of stuff, star wars, cool jazz stuff, some oldies, and some crazy techincal stuff that really impressed the kids. I privately tought 2 kids that loved them and wanted to play like them.

maybe get a manditory music/sports policy. I know some schools do that, and lots of kids don't like sports, so they do band.
StradJapan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my 5th grade recital, I didn't think I was ever going to play again. I was ready to return my Bundy rental at the music shop. But then the middle school band director came up to me personally and said that I sounded good and he really wanted for me to continue. Looking back, I think he was just desperate, but he really made me feel good.

My point is that the personal attention was a huge reason why I continued to play.

Seiji

www.RidgewoodBand.org - Treasurer
www.BergenYouthOrchestra.org - Vice President
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe get the kids to listen to some recordings, to see what their instruments are actually capable of.
trumpetjennifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Creative Band Recruiting? Reply with quote

Vessehune wrote:
Anyone have ideas for Creative band Recruiting? I am student teaching at a smaller school with a dying program. I want to try and get as many people in the band as possible, but a lot of kids have quit because of a bad teacher in the middle school. Any ideas would be great!

Are you going to be the future teacher there? Is the bad band teacher going to be teaching there and you are trying to figure out how to do his recruiting?

For recruiting, you have some excellent advice so far. Another thing you could do is feature the section leaders on a little riff. For example, a flute might play something pretty with a lot of trills. A trumpet could play "charge" or something like that. A trombone could do some cool stuff featuring how the slide works. An oboe could play something that sounds like an Arabian snake charmer. A percussionist could play something on a drum set or show off a lot of the sounds they can make using lots of different instruments (not that you'd ever have trouble recruiting people to play percussion since the movie "Drumline"!). You could brag on those kids, telling the audience of kids "They have only been playing 1 year and look what they can do!" or whatever they've been playing. It also boosts the morale of the kids you ask to play - makes them feel like it's an honor!

Good Luck!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encourage the current members of the band to go out and do the recruiting for you - maybe have a prize for the person who recruits the most players?
We did this a couple of years ago with a local school - one young lady recruited 15 (I think) people for the band - the band is now flourishing, as is the band in the local area that they joined outside of school.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my retention/recruiting problem is different. schedules for curriculum additions required by the state have done me in!! the only real solution for me would be for the admin to hire all the teachers they really need in other disciplines so multiple sections of those classes could be offered. then my kids don't have to choose between ap math/band.

this disater-creep began in 6th grade beginner class 3 years ago. i've kept admin advised & been as flexible as i can, but it's still grim. i started the band at this school 20 years ago & we've done well.

right now, i'm branching further out into some pr & trips for my remaining players while i keep my brain wheels turning. i've done this work since 1972, & i'm damned if i'll retire before i fix this problem.

dj
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great song to play is Soul Bossa Nova. I know one of my old band directors really made alot of people want to be in band. She made it look so fun.
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year our drumline got much larger, thanks to the efforts of one of our snare drummers. He got a full bassline, friends of his who knew just a bit about music. They can play, but they can't read music very well or anything.
I'm sure next year they will have learned though, and we will have some good tenor and snare players from them.
Tristan the man 2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold their parents hostage and demand that they play in band to get them back. Actually, dont do that, I shouldn't of said that.

But in all seriousness, what we did at my school was send the jazzband/drumline/colorguard to middleschools and have them play. The little ones love it when you scream solo's on your trumpet, when you blast them away with drumlines and wave pretty flags at them. Recruitment was up like 50% from last year when we did that.

Also make sure that you talk to the parents and get to know them. Parents always want to feel involved in their students lives, and their opinion on if they should continue band might mean more than yours.

Also introduce some "cool" kids in your band to the littleluns. If they see that band might allow them to hang out with some cool dudes rather than a bunch of band nerds, they might not want to miss an oppurtunity at some sweet freindships. I still remember the seniors from my freshmen year. Those were the days...

And if all else fails, play some Maynard Fergusson for them...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One, don't repeat the bad teacher's mistakes. Go to some of the people who dropped out because of him(her) and ask them what they would have changed.

IMHO, the biggest thing is to challenge each member. Don't dumb your program down just to keep the worst player. (don't challenge them too much either) If you do this you will lose your best players, and you won't be able to do the next step.

The biggest single recruiting tool in my experience is success. Make the group you have a excellent as possible. Enter contests, get trophies, play for assemblies.

As people see the success they will want to join.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring up the younger kids to sit in a rehearsal <with slightly easier music> with the big kids....its super encouraging

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tristan the man 2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the girl above me makes a good point. Every year, the SDSU University band does that and we play our music together as well as introduce ourselves. It's always a lot of fun.
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember being young and in the "auxiliary" brass band, and sitting in a senior band rehearsal once a year. I couldn't wait to get better and move up (naturally, the standard of the senior band dropped and I was principal cornet before you could say "But Trumpetmike told me to play it on trumpet...") I did really enjoy being temporarily included in a much better band though. Inspiring.

Something I've learned from bands like these is that it's hard to appeal to outsiders, especially kids, and not just look, well, lame. So before you go out and attempt famous tunes in front of a few hundred young critics, put yourself in their position.
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always use a poster similar to this. It may hep bring in some band members. Just kidding.

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Holton ST 308 "Maynard Ferguson"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: