• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sing, Sing, Sing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Sing, Sing, Sing! Reply with quote

I’ve always had pretty good pitch. Not world class, but certainly very good. After an experience playing a Christmas Eve job in a brass quartet (about 15 years ago) with members of the Phoenix Symphony, I realized that I needed to really work on my section intonation. I was literally the odd man out, playing with guys that had been in a section together for years, and weaving in and out trying to be in tune. Ouch! Talk about a wake up call.

As I was thrown into playing situations more often with really great players, and taking regular weekly lessons with these same players, my intonation gradually got better and better. I still have the occasional tuning issue in a large ensemble, but it’s very rare when I’m playing duets that I’m ever very far out.

I bring this up because I had some very interesting comments this week.

My Wife told me that she was very impressed with my pitch while I was singing in our church choir. She said that the lady sitting beside her also commented on my pitch being very good. She told me that she’s never heard me play out of tune, but that when I sing (in the past) I’ve had some tuning issues. I guess that’s not surprising since I never practice singing, but I always thought I was right on in choir.

Based on comments that I’ve read on TH, I have been singing more frequently during my practice day. In addition, I purchased the TuneUp program and not only have I spent time with it on my trumpet, but I spent a good 3-4 months singing these intonation studies in the car to and from work. I had struggled for weeks with some of the intervals (especially unisons) to get them to be perfect while singing (never a problem on the horn though). I had my Wife try them too, and she was dead on with each interval. She’s always had amazing pitch!

Well, I guess the time that I spent doing this really paid off, because when I received an unsolicited comment about improved pitch, it really stands out in my mind.

How often do you sing your music? How often do you compare your pitch against a reference sound? The better the sound is in your head, the better your musical product will be. I know that’s been the case for me!

Just thought I’d share this experience.
Chris4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sing to sight read music sometimes. Every once in awhile I'll sing in a practice session to get the right pitch in my head.

ML Yamaha Xeno RGS
Yamaha YTR-2320
Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP(1 1/2C)
kitjacoby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes sing during my practise...but not really very often! I try to sing some phrases that I want to play...but not very often! I occasionally sing in a HUGE mock opera tenor to offend the singing department at college...but not very often!

I enjoy singing, and my pitch has usually been quite good. I have to agree unequivically with your post - I think singing practise does help immesurably with intonation and, let's face it, that harmonic series can be a bit deceptive (I've played any number of lines that I'm sure would have sounded fantastic if I'd started in the right frikkin' place!!).

I don't quite know where I'm going with this. Um...eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day and say no to drugs. That'll do.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I get new solo music I tend to sing through it a couple of times before I ever pick up my horn. This helps me get the feeling of the intervals.

I sing in a Symphonic Chorus so I get lots of practice with sectional intonation. This flows over into my playing and I am more sensitive to sectional tuning.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
poochie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: singing Reply with quote

Singing should be the basis for all we try to do. I remember some of my formative lessons with Cichowicz involved lyric studies, singing them first then playing them.
There are many correlations between the two.Singers use language and diction, we use styleand tonguing .
The physical ease of producing a sound with your voice should be the goal while playing.
Don't be afraid to sing,it helps you break free from the horn and transfer what is in your head through the instrument.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. The goal is to make the trumpet an extension of your body. Sing and copy the most perfect instrument ever created. Allow the mind to play the instrument the same way it plays your voice. If you can acheive this freedom, you are at the door of greatness.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

Yet again, I think we have had the same kind of experience! I too have reached a point in my playing where I am quite where I ought to be intonation-wise, almost intuitively placing the pitch where harmony dictates.

Yet, in the past, whenever I tried singing loud any intricate part, I would be off intonation-wise. I have also spent some time working on my singing, typically in the shower or when resting my lips. I also spend a lot of time singing sotto voce any cue written in my trp part at orchestra rehearsal.

The result is that I surprised myself when helping my son rehearse his cello, singing to him his part and helping him home in on the right spot with his left hand!
I certainly have no voice worth hearing, but I do sing accurately these days! It is fantastic to see how my son is developing his ear as a result, now being able to correct pitch himself.

Good post (as always),

Pierre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: