• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double Buzz/Rasp Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Double Buzz/Rasp Help Reply with quote

Okay, one of my Region/State pieces is Voisin's Etude #1 (out of his 11 Etude book).

One particular phrase is a repeated rhthym of dotted quarter-eighth notes descending down the Eb scale started on midline Bb ending on a half note Ab below the staff. My problem is that when I land on the Ab, about 1/2 of the time I play it, the note is very raspy or has a double buzz to it.

When I talk to my teacher about it, he doesn't really say much mainly because I usually play it fine at my lesson or he attributes it to fatigue or lack of warm up.

I've found that this is not really the case as it can occur whenever I play it during my practice schedule. Are there any tips on overcoming this nasty disturbance?
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Double Buzz/Rasp Help Reply with quote

Kadune wrote:
Okay, one of my Region/State pieces is Voisin's Etude #1 (out of his 11 Etude book).

One particular phrase is a repeated rhthym of dotted quarter-eighth notes descending down the Eb scale started on midline Bb ending on a half note Ab below the staff. My problem is that when I land on the Ab, about 1/2 of the time I play it, the note is very raspy or has a double buzz to it.

When I talk to my teacher about it, he doesn't really say much mainly because I usually play it fine at my lesson or he attributes it to fatigue or lack of warm up.

I've found that this is not really the case as it can occur whenever I play it during my practice schedule. Are there any tips on overcoming this nasty disturbance?

When this happened to me, it seems to have been a result of overtensioning my chops, or "muscling" the horn (At the time I was doing a lot of practicing and heavy playing). When I relaxed my approach to the horn (not just the passage in question, but everything), the problem disappeared--and my overall sound was richer too. A day off (!) and subsequent attention to fundamentals (like warming up carefully) can often cure this frustrating problem. Another thought; can you buzz the passage on your mouthpiece alone? Try it, it can really help.

For immediate results (big concert or contest approaching), I will mention that some mouthpiece cup/backbore combinations that I used seemed to encourage the double-buzz more than others (although on second thought, you may not have the "luxury" of a room full of mouthpieces--try a colleague's and see if it helps; even one the 'same' size).
When I began playing with a "softer chops" approach, the problem didn't occur on these mouthpieces either, but when I was dealing with these issues and had to play concerts at the same time, the subtle mouthpiece difference was enough to prevent the phenomenon.
I hope this helps.
Peter Bond
Gray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:

Quote:
When I began playing with a "softer chops" approach

Peter - can you elaborate on this some more? How hard was it break the old "muscling" habit? How long did it take? Are you still "working on it"? Any particular mental imagery you used / use?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadune,

Until this week I’ve never experienced a double buzz in my playing (just lucky I guess). I’ve been in San Diego on a business trip this past week, and to keep up with my practicing I did several sessions a day sitting in the passenger seat of the rental car that I had. At the beginning of Day 3, I found that when articulating, I had a double buzz that I just couldn’t shake! It didn’t show itself in any of my long tones (just when I began tonguing).

I’m certain that this was a result of the odd acoustic that I was in, which led to a subtle “over tensioning” in my playing. I think Peter provides some really great suggestions.

In addition, I’m wondering if this double buzz occurs when you are “slurring” or if it only shows itself when articulating. Michael Sachs has a great approach to tricky lines that may be of help here. Its called “skeletonlization”. I’m not familiar with the Voisin Etudes, but the idea is to outline the “important” notes leading down to that Ab. If the line has a mixing of eighth and sixteenth notes, you might simply play the notes on the downbeats in a quarter note pattern.

Play the line the first time by simply slurring this skeletonized quarter note pattern down to the Ab to establish the most basic approach to sound production and to make sure your air is working properly. Don’t blow too hard, just get the sound to respond easily. Hopefully, you will find that there is no double buzz in your sound.

The key to this approach is two fold. The first part is to add one additional element at a time (more pieces of the rhythm in a slurred approach until you get back to the printed rhythm and notes) and then add back in the articulation. The second part is to sing the lines as you play them so that your mind understands exactly what it needs to hear to give yourself a fighting change to play it perfectly (well centered, great intonation, vibrant sound).

By reinforcing many different approaches in getting down to that Ab without the double buzz presenting itself, the more chances you will have in getting rid of if completely when playing the line as written.

Also, play in the best acoustic space that you can. Getting good feedback of your sound will help you to relax, and not lead to this “over tensioning” that may be causing the problem.

Hope these ideas help!
Kadune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm about to go practice and try some of those techniques.

I read the Sachs post and one of those techniques is what my teacher does a lot to try to enforce staying in beat and in the right style (the switching an eighth note for 2 sixteenths), that was really great.

Thanks a lot, and I'll see what my results are and edit this post!
downdawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadune -- just a thought:

Is the buzz definitely coming form your chops? When I had excess buzzing in the low register like that, it was actually vibration coming from the second valve tuning slide, which was loose. I 'fixed' it by adding a thick layer of grease to that slide. (a repair guy could also enlarge the slide for you slightly to tighten the fit.)

An easy way to test for this is to put your finger on that slide when the buzz occurs -- if it is that kind of vibration, your finger should stop the buzz at that time.

With me, when the buzz is a fatigued-chops issue, it's usually in the upper register that the problem occurs.

DD
Chris4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double buzz is probably from you tensing your chops too much-probably worried about an upcoming high note or something. Just relax it will fix itself.

ML Yamaha Xeno RGS
Yamaha YTR-2320
Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP(1 1/2C)
Kadune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downdawg wrote:
Kadune -- just a thought:

Is the buzz definitely coming form your chops? When I had excess buzzing in the low register like that, it was actually vibration coming from the second valve tuning slide, which was loose. I 'fixed' it by adding a thick layer of grease to that slide. (a repair guy could also enlarge the slide for you slightly to tighten the fit.)

An easy way to test for this is to put your finger on that slide when the buzz occurs -- if it is that kind of vibration, your finger should stop the buzz at that time.

With me, when the buzz is a fatigued-chops issue, it's usually in the upper register that the problem occurs.

DD

This was an issue with my horn in the past. I used candlewax to fix it. Then I got it chemcleaned last year and it was fixed. It's not that.

I haven't been experiencing the raspiness too much lately. I've thought about keeping my jaw relaxed (but not too relaxed) and usually the note comes out pretty well. Not the most resonant (I'm working on it!), but no disturbingly nasty double buzz.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Peter Bond wrote:

Quote:
When I began playing with a "softer chops" approach

Peter - can you elaborate on this some more? How hard was it break the old "muscling" habit? How long did it take? Are you still "working on it"? Any particular mental imagery you used / use?

Well, many players harden or tense their chops before placing the mouthpiece on the lips. This makes them less responsive, requiring more force of wind and more mouthpiece pressure than would otherwise be necessary. Endurance and sound (among other things) suffer.
Stretching the lips back while taking a breath is another habit that can result in unnecessary tensioning.
Possible solutions:
Warm up while looking in a mirror. Make it look easy. Keep the mouth round and relaxed when breathing. Try to avoid creating a rigid embouchure before you play (I call it putting on a "trumpet face"). Rather, keep the lips soft, and grip the mouthpiece ever so little (pursing motion) after the mouthpiece is on. Exaggerating this pursing can also create a cushion of muscle behind the mouthpiece which can protect players in marching band, or other heavy blowing situations.
Minimum effort, maximum buzz.
Hope this helps.
Peter Bond

Oh, to answer your other questions; my background in drum and bugle corps and big band jazz (and not paying attention to teachers) left me with a real "meathead" approach and enormous "muscling" issues. I've been working on overturning them for some 25 years now. By the time I retire and/or my teeth fall out, I hope to have it under control.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at times had some chops issues where I couldn't play low and soft without a double buzz creeping in. The temporary "fix" was that I would simply work harder, use more pressure, etc. These phases of my playing usually have everything to do with periods of playing too hard, using too much pressure and being too tense.

I can usually solve the problem in just a few days by doing some exercises that help me to relax and pull the pressure off of my chops.

I start off by blowing a G in the staff and then descending to low C. Once I am there, I gradually pull pressure off of my lips by consciously pulling the horn away until the double buzz starts to erupt. Then, working from that threshold, I just keep blowing soft, relaxed, low long tones using as little pressure as I can to allow the chops to re-focus and to allow the air to do the work. After a few days of doing this, I can just about pull the horn completely away from my face without losing the tone and once I have that soft focus back, it eliminates all sorts of nasty aspects that had creeped into my playing such as lack of accuracy, lack of control, lack of upper register and lack of endurance. It also serves to thicken my sound back up.

For me, it all comes from simply playing too hard, using the good ol' "Flex Armstrong" method of upper range, and playing too loud and blowing the chops out of focus.

Now that I have posted all of this, I'm not sure if you are experiencing the same kind of problem, but if it is, that's how I fix it when it starts to happen to me.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: