• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Partial execercise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
umytbnxt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Lip Partial execercise Reply with quote

What are the benefits to playing lip partial exercises that are slurred? I've been working on them out of a brass packet that I recieved from Spirit of JSU...formally known as Spirit of Atlanta.

Drew
Joe Good
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever trained with weights before? You know how it feels when you take off ankle weights or heavy boots? It's sort of like that. Lip slurs are difficult, and require good technique. The benefit is that your ability to target notes can improve exponentially through the practice of lip slurs/trills. That, and a lot of music has written slurs and that's where people crash and burn pretty often

Have fun!
umytbnxt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, makes sense. What are also the benefits of being able to play the partials with alternate fingering such as high B flat open and A with the 2nd valve compressed etc......?

Drew
Joe Good
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the dreaded "seventh" partial. Well, mostly flexibility, and people occasionally use those for lip trills, etc.

Personally, I break slurs into several categories, with the following factors:

Range (low, med, high)
Speed (slow, med, fast)
Skipping partials (yes, no)

I'm of the view that all are important, and none should be neglected. So, in other words, High, fast slurs where you don't skip partials are just as important as low/med, slow where you do skip partials (deliberately). If you can do all of these things, it sure seems to help with lyrical playing, endurance, etc.

When I practice, I usually start out slurring Mid-staff C, Midstaff G, low C, pedal C, double pedal C slowly. Put down 2nd valve and repeat, etc all the way down to F#. Then I do this thing that some crazy guy taught me, where I slur really fast from low C, staff G, Staff C and back and forth, to make sure everything is loose and supple. Down a halfstep, repeat, etc. It is impossible to do this if you have excess tension going on, so it's a good check for me. Then, if I'm feeling bold, I put down 1,2,3 starting on top-line F#, and quickly slur up the major scale to the C# (F#, G#, A#, B, C#, B, A#, G#, F#) and back down, etc. Slowly working my way up, to where I'm slurring from High C to High G through the scale. Sometimes this makes me feel so relaxed that I just pop up to notes above the High G. Bear in mind, that these are only meant as an example of what I do, and you may want to consult a physician before attempting them on your own
iskander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Then, if I'm feeling bold, I put down 1,2,3 starting on top-line F#, and quickly slur up the major scale to the C# (F#, G#, A#, B, C#, B, A#, G#, F#) and back down, etc.]

Joe, I wanted to clarify, you are playing F# scale with 1-2-3 all the way through? Then it would be a lip bending exercise, right?
Thanks,

Iskander[/quote]
Norm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are lip partial exercises? Thanks.

Norm
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iskander wrote:
[Then, if I'm feeling bold, I put down 1,2,3 starting on top-line F#, and quickly slur up the major scale to the C# (F#, G#, A#, B, C#, B, A#, G#, F#) and back down, etc.]

Joe, I wanted to clarify, you are playing F# scale with 1-2-3 all the way through? Then it would be a lip bending exercise, right?
Thanks,

Iskander
[/quote]

If you start on top line F#, then slur upwards using the fingering of 1,2,3, you will get an F# scale, no lip bending necessary. You wouldn't use that fingering in performance, because some of the notes will be out of tune, but it's a great practice drill.

Tom
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are usually called Lip Flexibility or just Flexibility exercises.

An even better term for them is Tongue-Level exercises, since it is the tongue level that does the most to change notes when slurring (or when tonguing).

Practicing flexibility exercises is important because it's the best way to gain the feel or knack of playing in various registers and changing between registers, and also as someone else posted, you've got to be able to slur from one partial to another cleanly if you're going to make music on a brass instrument.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
iskander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomba51 wrote:
iskander wrote:

Thanks,

Iskander

If you start on top line F#, then slur upwards using the fingering of 1,2,3, you will get an F# scale, no lip bending necessary. You wouldn't use that fingering in performance, because some of the notes will be out of tune, but it's a great practice drill.

Tom[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying. I guess, I didn't read carefully and thought you were starting on the low f#. My former teacher Leonard Candelaria used somewhat similar exercise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: