• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any comeback players go back to school for music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkySmurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
1st post on this forum.
I'm a comeback player who had ~5 yrs off since playing in college. In the future I am determined to go back to school to get a double major in performance/music ed, with the goal of being a HS music teacher who also plays gigs on the side.

My comeback story is typical from what I've seen on comeback players.
- 1st trpt in HS.
- competent in college, 1st trpt in Jazz my freshman year until I burned out, then came back on 3rd book and then 2nd book.
- Played in brass ensemble, concert band, and studied privately.
- Never cured my strong arm approach until I read materials from Clyde Hunt, Pops, and others on this forum.
- I'm less than a year on a new embouchure, but my tone and base I feel is stronger than all of my development from 5th grade through college, so much that my enjoyment of playing is at an all time high!

I plan on going for a career change from my current high tech field to something I love to do, play trpt and teach.

My timeline is to try and do this in the next few years ( delay so I can build up my new embouchure to pass some auditions, and as my wife and I save some dough, pay off debts.. so I can take time off to go back to school.)

I was wondering if any others have done this, or played with other students who did it.
What school did you go to? How was the experience for you? or attitudes towards the older students in your classes/ensembles? Any tips? I'm currently 30, and I am blessed that my wife is supportive.

I'm really in pathfinding for this, so any feedback is appreciated, even if it is "You're crazy!"....
Hopefully this post isn't out of line for this forum.

Thanks.
Rob
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not outta line at all...

...may I wish you every success in your endeavour. GO FOR IT!!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some schools are more appropriate for this than others. What is near you?

It would probably be lot tougher to do this at a higher powered music school/conservatory, but some community colleges have excellent programs for getting your feet wet.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-09-05 08:12 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have email friends who have, or are, doing this very thing. Nice to get back to something you love, and away from the "just a job" blues. Wish I could! If you are really committed -- and you must be -- go for it!

One thing you might do is to enroll in a class or two at a local college. Teaching credentials require some extra classwork in most states, and you can pick up (in CO, anyway) enough credits to substitute teach in a semester or two of night courses, or an intensive summer session (nights and weekends). Or, take a music oriented class (I never had theory, and would love to take a class). You can get a feel for school again (study habits, handling homework, etc.) and build up some credits along the way. Do be aware that most grad schools will only transfer a course or two in your main field; the rest you must take with them.

FWIW - Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-09-05 09:35 ]
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! I’ve toyed with the idea of going back to Music school, but haven't committed to it yet. I was music major in college until I burned out my junior year.

A few things you might do to help you succeed in the future:
1) Start working with a good trumpet teacher ASAP! You will learn so much just having someone around that knows what you are trying to achieve & can constructively push you. You will also make new contacts.
2) Take on a few beginning trumpet students to see if you enjoy teaching. Also you will learn a LOT from them.
3) Start working on Music Theory & Ear Training. Music education is not about playing trumpet; it is about developing people’s music skills in a very broad area. The part of music school that most new students struggle with the most is music theory & ear training. Next on the list of struggles is Piano/Keyboard competency.
4) Play in as many different types of groups as possible. Play in bands, jazz ensembles, orchestras & chamber groups. Learn all the different types of playing.
5) The most IMPORTANT thing. Enjoy it. There will be tough times ahead. Going back to school is tough; going back to music school is even tougher. Don’t get pulled into the competitive hype at whatever school you go too. You know what your goals are & what you want to achieve.

I would recommend going to a smaller school around your area. If you can start studying with that school’s Brass/trumpet teacher now. That’s even better. It will be a little weird at first being the oldest around but in time the students will come to appreciate the life experiences you bring. In my music fraternity we had an older gentleman that was working on his PHD in Musicology. We respected his input & experiences. He became know as “Uncle” around the frat.

[ This Message was edited by: KevinInGeorgia on 2002-09-05 10:13 ]
FunkySmurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent responses. Thanks.

PH, The schools near me are Mt Hood Community College and Portland CC.
4 yr are PSU, OSU and maybe some schools in WA.
The question for us will also be to balance any out of state fees as well. Excellent suggestions on starting the course work early to get back into it, so that is another avenue I could pursue.

The schools I am most familiar with are MN, WI. For the teaching, I might like to move back to our home base roots in upper Midwest.

I've browsed the web and interesting schools to me are UofM Morris (just seen on web), ... UWSP (1st hand). UWEC (1st hand) (maybe this is on your idea of the high powered schools). Someplace with a good jazz program, more than 1 jazz ens. One thing I would not want to do is be in the position to 'take' a young music major spot in any ensemble so they did not get the experience.

That is something I am looking for... where the school is in need of players, or there are enough ensemble spots to go around. However, I do want the opportunity to STUDY and PLAY music, and not just play it as I did before as a non-music major. This background is what I need to motivate as an educator.. the understanding of the history of pieces, I find discussions on the history of solo pieces extremely interesting and motivating for myself. I also think that educators who play well are the best teachers, as such my goals. Seeing UWEC Jazz I trumpet sections at UWEC jazz fest made me hit the practice rooms like crazy. Unfortunately, the amount of practice with my previous setup did no good, and only discouraged the more I practiced.

Care to elaborate on what characteristics might make a school more/less appropriate?

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: FunkySmurf on 2002-09-05 10:21 ]
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am presently doing this!! After a four year lay off I have returned to scool!! I'm presently going to Washington State. It's a great school for music in general and especially for trumpet. The instructor is Dave Turnbull. He is a big Monette head, but a great teacher who can help almost anyone. The school is starting to attract better and better players. One of the finalists in ITG's jazz improv contest is from WSU. The out of state thing may hinder, but you could always move to Vancouver and commute to work for a year and gain residency. Hope this helps.
_latin_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky Smurf.

I am considering going back to school for a degree in music as well (although not in the near future). I also have a high-tech career, but music is my true passion. Let me know of your progress.

"There is no substitute for practice".
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about trumpet @ Mt. Hood, but they have a tradition of outstanding jazz education.

If Jim O'Banion is still in Eugene I would seek him out for trumpet lessons and advice. I suspect some of those other schools you list have fine programs, too.

John Harbaugh just joined the faculty at Central Washington U. in Ellensburg. He is one of the truly great teachers out there today. It might be worth a drive up to catch a lesson.

IMHO, the most important things to look for (in this order) are:
1) The quality of trumpet teaching
2) The personality of the trumpet teacher
3) The quality of the ensembles
4) The musical level of the other trumpet students
5) The attitudes & personalities of the other trumpet students
6) The quality of academic courses.

Good luck! You are definitely NOT crazy.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-05 01:40, FunkySmurf wrote:
I was wondering if any others have done this, or played with other students who did it.
What school did you go to? How was the experience for you? or attitudes towards the older students in your classes/ensembles? Any tips? I'm currently 30, and I am blessed that my wife is supportive.

Hey, Rob, I was off the trumpet from '81-'95, and I started back to school in the fall of '96 after only being back on trumpet for less than a year at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

I was 40 when I went back to school, and it was by no means easy for me. I had to put my negative attitudes aside . . . being around a bunch of "kids" half my age, y'know. I was serious about school now, because I knew why I was there and because I was paying my own way.

And y'wanna know what? I think I actually gained the respect of the faculty and the students (in that order) because they saw the determination and seriousness in me. I unwittingly was making a lot of those "kids" look bad, because I was working full time and kicking their butts in the academics and most of the ensembles (I wasn't that good in the wind ensemble, but dammit I sure tried!).

And then, after graduating with honors with a bachelors in music ed, I went to the Manhattan School of Music on a 90% scholarship to work on my masters in jazz, which I got (also maintaining a high GPA) in 2001.

Now I've just begun my teaching career, doing two tiny little adjunct professor gigs and teaching some high school students privately. And things can only get better, the way I see it.

So, Rob, I say go for it!!!

Rich

P.S. My trumpet teacher at USF confirmed what Doc Reinhardt told me: don't worry so much about going to the world's greatest school for your bachelors degree, but make sure you get your masters from somewhere as "prestigious" as possible.
828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-05 16:33 ]
FunkySmurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the encouragement!

To those who posted that they are doing the same, best of luck, and I hope you get what you want as well.
-Rob
hineyr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to school as a come-back trumpet player this past year. I went to the Unversity of Miami and played in the concert jazz band there from 1988 - 1993. I then took some years off to go to law school. During those years, I played very little, eventually graduating and moving to the North East. I played in a Senior Drum & Bugle Corps (Hawthorne Caballeros) for two years, but did no other playing. Then in january of 2001, I decided that I was happier playing seriously. I found a teacher (Darren Barrett) and started practicing. The first couple of months were pretty rough, but by August I was ready to return to Miami to finish my master's degree and play in the concert jazz band again. It was GREAT! The band was excellent, as usual, and I got to study with Gil Johnson again (he passed away this past week). The daily "pressure" of playing with so many great players around was very effective in getting me "back on the horn."
I say, go for it. You won't regret it, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: