• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large Lips, Small MPC?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I consider a new mouthpiece?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

HF-Castor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Large Lips, Small MPC? Reply with quote

I was in the practice room today and one of my friends, a fellow trumpet player, came up to me and listened to me while I was doing the arbans scale excercises. He asked me what size mouthpice I was playing on and I told him a Yamaha 11B4. He laughed a bit, and told me that might be why I am not playing to the best of my ability.

I am Black so my lips arent small, he suggested that they might be too big for the piece I was playing on, and that made a little bit of sense to me. Ive never really been able to achieve the level of consistency I wanted on this mouthpiece, not to mention tone quality, could this have something to do with it?

Also, does anybody know what parameter of a mouthpiece I should look for to better fit my lips? What pieced do you recommend?

Setup
==============================
Silver Bach Stradivarius 37
Vincent Bach 1CW Mouthpiece
StradJapan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great topic. I hope someone can help.

A good friend who is also a great trumpeter looked at my lips and he told me that because I have full lips, a bigger mouthpiece may work better for me. But then I completely lose my range. In general, is this true?

I play on a GR 65.6MS.

Thanks,
Seiji

www.RidgewoodBand.org - Treasurer
www.BergenYouthOrchestra.org - Vice President
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Large lips Reply with quote

Hello all,
Being basically a middle school band director. I try to match natural ability with mouthpiece size when it comes to brass instruments. If that means lip size, then so be it. Since I have seen larger lip kids be more successful on a larger horn, tone quality wise, I would have to say that this same attribute would coincide with different lip size/shaped trumpeters. The adage, "If you don't have tone, you have nothing," comes to mind. I am sure that there are many successful people who play smaller mouthpiece sizes. Bill Chase, who played his piece has always been a wonder to me. Being classically trained and trying to blend in, warrants me to play the largest mp that gives me the best tone and intonation tendency through the range I have to play in. So should players with more tissue play larger mp's...You should evaluate what your performance goal is, and work toward attaining the attributes you need and want.
TaylorBarnett80
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger lips do not require a larger diameter mouthpiece. Thinner lips do not require a smaller mouthpiece. The most effective and comfortable, inner rim diameter/shape are determined by a number of factors:
-Lip size AND shape
-Embouchure style (large aperture or small, lots of air or small/focused airstream, lots of lip intrusion or not)
-Style of music/sound desired

Here is a quote by Mark Curry about the topic:
"A mouthpiece, at it's very best, is still a compromise. An ideal mouthpiece should have these qualities:

The rim should be comfortable enough to give reasonable endurance.
Rim diameter, width and contour is a personal issue. There is no set rule that governs this. I've seen physically large players that can play tiny little mouthpieces, and small players who play extremely large mouthpieces equally well. It is also highly dependent on the individual's teeth and jaw formation.
The Total rim (contour, inner diameter, bite and undercut) should give you control over attacks and tone color.
You don't want to limit yourselves on your musicality. The best players have strong low G's as well as a sweet, pretty high G.

FACT: what most players perceive as the rim is actually a combination of the rim, bite, and undercut!

Lip Intrusion: this occurs when the lips actually intrude into the mouthpiece cup. This is somewhat related to the size and thickness of the individual's lips, but not a direct correlation. I stood next to Cat Anderson (the Great High Note player with Duke Ellington's band) and watched him play back in 1975. Even though his lips were large and thick, there was nearly zero intrusion into the cup, which was incredibly shallow. On the other hand, I've seen small-lipped players stuff half their face into a 1C and sound great from low G to high G and above."

The bottom line is that a player has to try different sizes (with a developed embouchure) to find what works. That is why students usually start with something in the "middle of the road". Not too small or too large is the safest way to go.

Taylor
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of lips has absolutely nothing to do with mouthpiece size. I know plenty of Afro American trumpet players with huge lips that play on pieces as small as a Reeves 42 s. The old tale that a larger piece gives you a larger sound is also baloney.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Large Lips, Small MPC? Reply with quote

HF-Castor wrote:
I was in the practice room today and one of my friends, a fellow trumpet player, came up to me and listened to me while I was doing the arbans scale excercises. He asked me what size mouthpice I was playing on and I told him a Yamaha 11B4. He laughed a bit, and told me that might be why I am not playing to the best of my ability.

I am Black so my lips arent small, he suggested that they might be too big for the piece I was playing on, and that made a little bit of sense to me. Ive never really been able to achieve the level of consistency I wanted on this mouthpiece, not to mention tone quality, could this have something to do with it?

Also, does anybody know what parameter of a mouthpiece I should look for to better fit my lips? What pieced do you recommend?

HF --

The bottom line, regardless of where you end up, is that your current mouthpiece is not working for you like it should. Some pertinent info has been provided, but before we get off topic, I'll make a recommendation.

If you have a teacher, then consult with them on trying out some new mouthpieces. If not, then begin searching systematically. The rim of your 11B4 is pretty close to a Bach 7C. The differences are in the rest of the dimensions -- the 11B4 has a slightly tighter throat/backbore, and the cup is a tad bit more shallow. If you are comfortable on the 11B4 rim, then try a Bach 7C -- it might open things up just enough to do the trick.

If that does not do it, then branch out in both directions from there...try some smaller ones and some larger ones and see what you get. Don't try too many in one sitting (maybe four total -- 2 larger and 2 smaller), and don't go radically far away in either direction. Also, take a friend with a critical ear along with you to help with sound differences.

Make sure you are fairly warmed up before you start trying new mpces (don't try out new mouthpieces cold). You will likely get a general idea of the direction you need to go pretty quickly. If you find a great match right away, then go for it. If you aren't quite sure, leave and come back another day, start with the best option from your first visit, and then try 4 more.

Here are some suggestions for you, sorted from smallest to largest (rim size, that is), with your 11B4 placed roughly where it fits by comparison:

Yamaha: 8C4, your 11B4, 11C4, 14B4, 14C4, 15B4, 16C4

Schilke: 8C4, your 11B4, 11, 14B4, 14, 15B4

Bach: 10-1/2C, your 11B4, 7C, 6C, 6, 5C, 3C

This ought to get you started.

Good luck,

Paul Poovey
soundbead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try bigger pieces and decide if they are suitable. If they fit, it will immediately feel very comfortable. However, do not dismiss them if range is lost as it is only normal. After some adaptation, range will quickly come back.
A bigger piece has helped me reduce the number of notes missed by quite a bit since the larger rim has a larger sweet spot for hitting the notes. Consistency and tone improved. Endurance will be compromised but they can be overcome with more embouchure strengthening exercises. I have great success with lip buzzing. In my opinion, it is not too bad a trade off if you are doing legit stuffs.
HF-Castor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, heres the deal. I have this Blessing 3C, Ive had it since high school and I played on it 11th and 12th grade, but I was a completely different player then. I wasnt half as good as I am now. So when I got to college, and someone told me that my 11B4 would help me get higher noted because of the shallower cup, I figured "Great!", being the ignorant player I was back then.

Fast forward to this year. I start having trouble maintaining good tone quality, endurance, and range are shaky at best. So today I try out my 3C again, hoping for some magic, and guess what?

MAGIC!

I had a great sound today, muchcloser to the tone I was used to during the summer, when I was playing better. Also, my endurance today seemed ot be better, and I could tell because we were playing one of the harder song we have in our book. We were playhing it over and over again. Naturally, the less shallow cup effected my range, but not nearly as much as I thought. I was still in good position to play.

I am gonna try the MPC for a few weeks and see where it takes me. Hopefully I will see more improvement as my chops get used to the new MPC. I am considering getting a Vincent Bach 3C, and am wondering if it is of better quality, or if its measurements are different than the Blessing 3C I have.

Setup
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common experience you've had--moreso than just the usual mp "honeymoon" as you've advanced since using the 3C last time. But the "honeymoon" occures with Many mp changes, you're using fresh tissue (as it were), it's what happens after a few weeks and you've adapted to a new mp that counts (unless you switch constantly and always stay in a honeymoon period...but that's only a theory I've amused myself with...)

Now, you've moved 2 sizes bigger in Yamaha measurement terms. I went from, like, a 17C4 equilivant (was a Stomvi 1 1/2C) to a 13C4 or 13B4 in Yamaha rims in two jumps, couldn't negotiate a huge change...the Yamaha 11 was too small, never could make it feel comfortable or controlable, but at the 13B I had enough room to make a nice tone, AND small enough to center on and help the high range and brightness when needed. A Schilke 11 or 12B are both a bit bigger than your Y11B...a Schilke 11B would be a special order, it's not a stock size, durn it (Yamaha runs about a size bigger than Schilke with the same numbering system) So I say go one size bigger at a time.
But go buy a bloody Bach 3C if that's what you want to do. Many use it. I suppose it depends on the kind of music and sound you need to make. You'll always learn something. At least Yamaha and Bach are still a good value, still reasonable.
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm believer that the size of lips does not have a bearing on the mouthpiece, I used to. I sat in a dance band about 20 yr. ago and there was this little old black dude from New Orleans who sat in the solo chair that night. He had extremely full lips and there were just full of scar tissue from playing so many years. He would take the solos and had a beautiful tone and after the job I looked at his mouthpice and it looked like an old mouthpiece that someone took to a belt sander - it had almost no cup at all, just a dimple. I have fleshy lips and play on a Reeves 42M. Have fun on your quest for the perfect mouthpiece. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be in favor of taking advice from another student - it does, in fact, sound like a student - who is handing out advice. What are this person's qualifications to be giving advice? As you can see, there is not going to be total agreement on this forum as to the answer to your question. So, that makes it depend on you and what your needs might be. Another student is not in any position to know. You need to experiement, preferably with someone who has the experience to help you, and see what mouthpiece is best - whether a larger cup helps your playing.

Unless you are dealing with a well qualified trumpet teacher or professional player, I would ignore other students and seek your advice from someone who is better qualified to give it.
HF-Castor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I think its safe to say that my friend, a student yes, was correct because after two days of playing on my 3C I am finding it to be the better piece for me. And as far as trying other pieces, why not try the ones I have first. I have in my collection:

-Yamaha 11B4, 13B4, Schilke 13a4a, Blessing 3C, Generic 7C.

Obviously the Schilke is out of the question, I never really like the cup size or the rim before. The 7C might be okay, but the 3C, which I am using now is actually performing quite well, so I will stick with it for a trial period of time, and see what happens. I definately will try other pieces if I feel the 3C is not getting me where I think I need to be after a certain amount of time.

I think I was a little excited yesterday when I made my last post, and the excitement of finding something that work better than my 11B4 has now subsided and is allowing me to act more rationally. So I will try the 3C.

I appreciate all the advice, and everyone's opinion. If anyone has any other comments and suggestions please post them.

Thanks

Setup
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the 3C, maybe try to pick up a Bach 3C in place of the Blessing. This may only make a marginal difference but to me its worth it!!!! Also, always consult your private teacher for his/her opinion. They should know your playing better than anyone and help you to make the right choice. Keep playin' my friend, that is what it's all about. WVtrumpet
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old geezer wrote:
...little old black dude from New Orleans...

Unfair comparison! Little old black dudes from New Orleans are likely to accomplish anything. They didn't know they can't.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel more comfortable on the Blessing 3C, you should definitely try some quality pieces in that size range - Schilke 14 & 12B4, Warburton 4(M,C), of course Bach 3C and check out the 6BM, Stork Vacciano 5C, and other quality brands in the .660 - .670 range.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal thoughts (after playing for years on smaller rims and now on larger) is that you can't go by some formula of lip size. The embouchure (closed or open) will be a far bigger determining factor.

The easiest way I have found to test a mouthpiece is:
Play on it for a couple of weeks to at least familiarize yourself with it. When it starts feeling comfortable, play something challenging dynamically and in regards to range (basically play something high and loud whatever that level may be in you scope of abilities) and note what your chops want to do naturally. If they try and pull out of the piece or your have an urge to "smile" or pull the corners back, then the piece is too small for your set-up chops and lips wise. With a rim that is close to the right size (or even a hair big) you should have the urge to get more chop in the piece, or feel everything pulling towards the mouthpiece, or simply just feel stong and focused chop wise.
I can't say this will work for everyone, but it it the acid test for me to see if a rim is too small. My thoughts are that if a rim is truly too small, you will instictively thin your lips out to get some vibrational room which lead to not building embouchure strength, encourages the use of pressure, and causes a downward spiral (as you don't get stronger, beat your chops up with pressure, now feel weaker, add more pressure, rinse, lather, and repeat until you struggle to hit a high C.)
big_trumpet09
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a B&S 1 1/2C it's a bach 3c copy except the rim is much more comfortable (and in my opinion) it gives a better response and better tone
Gerhard Baier Heavyweight
mpcs: Benge 3, benge 5B, B&S 1 1/2C, Bach 3C, bach 5C, Bach 7C
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank - exactly right. he played on something that worked for him - - if he had listened to all of the advice on this sight he probably would have got frustrated and put up the horn. he asked me [ of all people] to play lead and said if his Dr. found out he was playing again he would have a fit. the guy had heart problems and emphysema and was told never to play again because it could kill him.---- man could that old dude play. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
JamesL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaser that is one of the better mouthpiece test ideas!
I just tried it and on my smaller pieces like a Schilke 10a4a, Bach 10 1/2, 7C and my lips want to thin out semi-smile, but on my Curry 1 1/4c my lips want to bunch and go furhter into the mouthpiece, the crappy Bach 3C is like in between.
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Selmer MK 6 tenor
Conn 6M Alto

"i am tired of everything except the music" Dexter Gordon
Nick_08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvtrumpet wrote:
Stick with the 3C, maybe try to pick up a Bach 3C in place of the Blessing. This may only make a marginal difference but to me its worth it!!!!

I completely disagree. There is no difference in quality of sound between a Bach and Blessing. I use both, and personally, I'm more comfortable with my Blessing 3C. HF, you may be the same way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: