• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A4a vs A4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoltonScreamer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: A4a vs A4 Reply with quote

i've been looking around for a lead piece for a while now and I just have a question. Which do you prefer? An A4a or just an A4 and why???? I have a 6A4a and a 14A4a. After playing n each for a while I settled with the 14A4a but the only problem is that there is way too much resistance when I try to play high. Maybe I'm trying too hard or more likely, I'm just trying to push too much air into that tiny backbore. I've also toiled with the Callet DT-10 (ascoutic model if hat even matters) and I feel like that mpc. is alot more free blowing than the 14A4a. I'm not sure if the backbores are different or not but I'm just wondering if other have had a similar experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kamal
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the A4 over the A4a. You're right - the A4 is more open. It has the standard "c" backbore whereas the A4a has the "a" backbore, the tightest one offered. I have a 13A4a that I opened the throat up one drill size larger. It helped eliminate resistance, but made the intonation a little squirrely! Probably a better idea to just buy a new piece with a more open backbore.
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamer,
I play a 14a4b for just the reason you describe. It works well for lead. I play a standard 14B for legit. I play the Kanstul 2 piece mp system and love them.
Good luck,
NMex
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try backing off on the 4a. I think that's why so many dislike it...they try to pound the same amount of air through it as in a more open bore. Let the mouthpiece do the work for you. You can get just as much sound out of it as a b or c with less effort. MHO.
seaninabox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: A4a vs A4 Reply with quote

HoltonScreamer wrote:
i've been looking around for a lead piece for a while now and I just have a question. Which do you prefer? An A4a or just an A4 and why???? I have a 6A4a and a 14A4a. After playing n each for a while I settled with the 14A4a but the only problem is that there is way too much resistance when I try to play high. Maybe I'm trying too hard or more likely, I'm just trying to push too much air into that tiny backbore. I've also toiled with the Callet DT-10 (ascoutic model if hat even matters) and I feel like that mpc. is alot more free blowing than the 14A4a. I'm not sure if the backbores are different or not but I'm just wondering if other have had a similar experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went and tried out a few Schilke mouthpieces recently with my friend's trumpet teacher and i picked up the 14 family because it was the most comfortable (I have to play on mouthpieces with a big cup diameter). He wouldn't let me see which mouthpiece was which, just made me play into all of them and he'd tell me which was the best. We narrowed it down to the 14A4a and the 14A4, and I ended up going with the 14A4 because it had a more open backbore. I'm working with it and I'm enjoying it, although it's gonna take sometime to get used to. Why not try that one out?
HoltonScreamer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the input. I try to stay away from the schilkes though. I play like a half step sharp on them. I like the Yamaha mpcs much better. They seem more stable in the intontation department. But I'll look into the 14A4b and the 14A4 sizes. Thanks again everyone if you have any other suggestions feel free to keep posting.

-Kamal
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time my mainstay lead-type mouthpiece was a Schilke 14A4a. There were some aspects about it that I didn't like too:

Squirrely Intonation
VERY edgy, brittle sound
a bit too much resistance

However, I kept with it because it was comfortable and it "worked" better than any other lead type mouthpiece that I tried.

Then on a whim one day while placing an order at wwbw.com for some drum stuff, I tossed a 14A4 on top of the order. Why I hadn't tried a 14A4 prior to 6 months ago I don't know.

The day it came, it was like I found the missing link. The sound had a LOT more core, there was less resistance, it felt the same on my face, and I lost nothing in terms of range and endurance, (if anything, range became easier and I gained endurance) not to mention that my intonation on my Strad was improved.

Then, when I got my Schilke B6, the Schilke 14A4 mouthpiece is a very good match for that trumpet and the intonation is probably better than anything I have used to date.

For me, there is no question, I prefer the 14A4 over the 14A4a by a long shot. The best thing about switching from one to the other for me is that I didn't have a new rim or cup to acclimate to, just a bit of a difference in blow, and that difference was an improvement that I never had a honeymoon phase with.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
it felt the same on my face,

I really liked the 14A4, but I didn't think the rim felt the same. I thought it had a tad more bite. It just wasn't as comfortable as the 4a. I personally don't think the 4a is a good match for larger bore horns. That's where the squirrly intonation comes in, I think. The resistence is just something that has to be adjusted to
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's interesting - as far as the cup and the rim are concerned, mine feel virtually identical.

I still think that it's funny that I used that 14A4a for so long (nearly 8 years) without trying the 14A4. It wasn't like those aspects that I didn't like cropped up all of a sudden. They were always there!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have felt no difference personally, but i do not use either very often at all anyway
in fact when i packed for college i left both home

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
half91585
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...trumpetgirl, maybe you weren't blowing enough through the horn to realize that the two mouthpieces have a HUGE difference. Anyways, as I feel, the A4a is way too tight but you still need some support up high. If you' have lungs of steel then the 14A4 might work better for you, but I'd suggest going with a Warburton or some other modular mouthpiece system and finding the most comfortable rim and sticking to that rim size and getting one or two tops with a couple backbores. That's what I do - works wonders! Happy hunting

OAS.AAS.LLS

Custom Bach 37G (Ita/Pilczuk)
Greg Black 1 1/2C 26 throat, 8 backbore
Greg Black NY2 25 throat with Warburton Q backbore

looking to buy a cheap flugel, C, or cornet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was custom fitted for a Warburton mouthpiece once and it just wasn't for me. I suppose that for some, they are just the ticket, but I never liked the rim on mine at all.
- ACB Doubler

badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pat,

I've been able to put in some solid practice time this summer and I thought I should pull out the 4A and give it another try...hey, I like it! It feels good, stays comfortable for the workout, range is the same with a smoother transition to the upper register. I'll see what happens on the 3 hour big band gig this weekend
PMWlead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: **** that Reply with quote

Hey kamal just get a DT-10 haha

~2joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: