• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton T101-102 Trumpets

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSU Brass Guy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Holton T101-102 Trumpets Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience playing these horns? I have read reviews that they say these are really good and could be a real sleeper.
I like the thought of having a Strad without having a Strad. I am especially interested in the T102 which is supposedly more open that the
T101

Thanks

PSU Brass Guy
2005 Getzen 3850 Custom Bb Cornet
2005 Kanstul Custom Piccolo
1977 Couesnon Flugelhorn
1878 Courtois Cornet
1966 Olds Ambassador
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T101 was originally based on Mt Vernon Bach tooling. Does anyone know if the current horn is the same? Looking at the pictures on the Holton website, it looks different than what I remember the old ones looking like.

Galen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T101 is a great horn. Yes, it is a recreation of the Mt. Vernon.
The T101 s that they are making today play better than the Bachs that they are producing today. The T101 is lighter than the Bachs . I believe
that the T102 and T103 are comparable to the Bach 43 abd 72 bells , it seems that I read that somewhere. Holton also makes a T105 which a lightweight versoin which is really a fine horn.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old ones had two braces but the more recent ones have only one brace , I believe that is the only difference though.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 37 Strad about 4 years ago, one of the many horns I tried was a gold-plated T-105. It was a really great horn. I just couldn't "pull the trigger" at the time and buy a Holton instead of the Bach. The Holton, though gold-plated, was only slightly more expensive than the silver Bach. I regret the decision to this day. --BTW I tried it out at International Music up there where you are in Chicago.
Tempo-rary
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
The old ones had two braces but the more recent ones have only one brace , I believe that is the only difference though.

Tex, I'm wondering about the significance of the number of braces related to date of manufacture.

The T101 now on eBay is serial #808292 and I believe it is way newer than the sixties horns. It has two braces. There is also a T104 on eBay that the seller is saying was made in the eighties. Its serial number is #500693 and it has a single brace. One might assume that the T101 is relatively new based on the serial number comparison.

I wonder if the single brace/double brace is an 'option' since there seems to be some irrelevance to date of manufacture. Beats me, but then, so does a lot of things.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point , I wasn't really aware of a T104 model until I saw one on ebay a few days ago. I just remember seeing the T101s from the early eighties and recall them to have two braces like a Strad, but then a few years ago when I reaquainted myself with the T101 at TMEA I saw that they only had one brace, whichever , the recent ones I have played on play great. I would like to play a T102, but you don't see them around
very much , at least not in this neck of the woods.
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything more about the T104. One was given to me by a friend and I havn't been able to find much information about it. Im thinking it may just be a T101 with a first valve trigger but I dont know.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lo and behold , there is a Holton T102 on ebay , which was not on there when I posted a few minutes ago .
It looks to be in great shape too.
Tempo-rary
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dang. I suppose I am as curious as the next guy and may just plunk down a few bucks and get a 101 and 102 just for curiosity's sake. The 101 seems to be a no-brainer, (I'm fully qualified here), and I'm partial to the Bach 43, so the 102 makes sense.

Although I have to admit owning a NY Bach made by 'the man' is cool, I'm not all that hung up over the brand stamped in the bell of an inexpensive trumpet. Everyone loves beating the 'system', so I'm cool with getting one of these that has the potential to sing like the McKoy.

My only hesitance is the era, whether to grab a newer one that appears fairly commonplace, or to hold out for a sixties model.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Leblanc wesite and they mention the T102 and the T103 so I guess they still make 'em. I see your point though, but I bet you would not be unhappy with a newer model T102. In reading the website it occurs to me that I might be all wet about the comparisons to the 43 and 72 bells , but Icould sware that I read that somewhere.
It states that one main difference is the leadpipe and the more rounded tuning slide.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the T104 was Holton's answer to the Conn Connstellation. because if you look at the wrap they seem similar, although I could be wrong.
Tempo-rary
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between this thread and one from just a few days ago, there seems to be conflicting reports regarding desirable vintage/era and 'clone source'. Regarding the T101, are any of you versed enough to know from direct experience which to look for? So far the reports are conflicting.
tooslick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1990's T101 and it does play just a bit stuffy. Intonation and slotting are right on. It's a very nice horn but I have a couple that play more open.
trumpet71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: holton T-101 Reply with quote

The Holton T-101 is quite simply the best playing horn I've ever played. And I've played plenty over nearly 30 years. In terms of sound, intonation, and versatility, it is far better than my 1982 Bach Strad 37, which I used to think was a good horn. IMO I don't find it to be stuffy at all.

Last edited by trumpet71 on Mon May 09, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
SMJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: T101 Reply with quote

I worked at the Martin plant and was part of the engineering team that developed T101,T102,T103 and many others since 1980. I can say that all of the T101's were good playing horns ,but some were tighter in the upper register (from high C and up) than others.the tighter ones would tend to back up rather than open up in the upper register. If you run across one of the more open ones it will be exceptional.
Also the model used to create the T101 was an extremely good playing 37 Bach with a 25 leadpipe made in Elkhart, not Mount Vernon . It was supplied brand new off the shelf from a dealer at the time. I took it apart--we measured and qualified every specification and I reassembled the horn.
After reassembling it still played very well.
We used no old tooling from anyone. All tooling including bell mandrels were made to our specs in our corporate tool room at Leblanc and all tooling was brand new. I am sorry if anyone out there may have been told about Mount Vernon and old tooling but it's really not true. [/u]
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the last couple of years there was "close out" sale ( I don't recall where) mentioned on TH where they were selling new T101's for about $650 if I remember correctly. It stuck in my mind as one of the best values I recall seeing.......
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: T101 Reply with quote

SMJ wrote:
I worked at the Martin plant and was part of the engineering team that developed T101,T102,T103 and many others since 1980. I can say that all of the T101's were good playing horns ,but some were tighter in the upper register (from high C and up) than others.the tighter ones would tend to back up rather than open up in the upper register. If you run across one of the more open ones it will be exceptional.
Also the model used to create the T101 was an extremely good playing 37 Bach with a 25 leadpipe made in Elkhart, not Mount Vernon . It was supplied brand new off the shelf from a dealer at the time. I took it apart--we measured and qualified every specification and I reassembled the horn.
We used no old tooling from anyone. All tooling including bell mandrels were made to our specs in our corporate tool room at Leblanc and all tooling was brand new. I am sorry if anyone out there may have been told about Mount Vernon and old tooling but it's really not true. [/u]

Thanks for sharing first hand info. So often we theorize and operate on conjecture and rumor, often out of necessity because witnessed info is so hard to come by. So it is always very helpful when this type of post appears. Thanks again.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: T101 Reply with quote

SMJ wrote:

Hello, Mr. SMJ, and welcome to TrumpetHerald. Relax, and enjoy your stay.

We hope you will continue to share your knowledge and experience with the Martins and the Holtons. I have several of each of those branded horns, and thoroughly enjoy playing them.

All the best,
Robert Rowe

I miss Genghis Khan ....
SMJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Thank you Robert Reply with quote

I will be glad to share whatever I can remember along the way.
F.Y.I. my name is Jim Stella.
For nearly 4 years I have been the plant manager at the Getzen Company. Prior to that I have split my time between being the product development engineer at Vincent Bach and managing and building horns at the Martin Plant in Wisconsin since 1980.
I love this business and have met some great people along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: