• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton T101-102 Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James W. Leach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Holton T101-102 trumpets Reply with quote

Mine has the T101 engraved on the mouthpiece receiver .
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
The T101 is a great horn. Yes, it is a recreation of the Mt. Vernon.

From what I understand it's more than just a recreation of the Mt. Vernon Bach Strad, it for all intensive purposes IS a Mt. Vernon Strad! According to popular trumpet industry lore, when Selmer acquired the Vincent Bach company they sold off all the tooling and spare parts at the New York factory and the Holton company bought it all. Since they used the original tooling and everything to produce the T-101, it's essentially identical to NY Bach Strads except for the name brand stamp. Never tried one but I've heard from so many cats that it's an amazing horn that plays just like a NY Strad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
textr wrote:

From what I understand it's more than just a recreation of the Mt. Vernon Bach Strad, it for all intensive purposes IS a Mt. Vernon Strad! According to popular trumpet industry lore, when Selmer acquired the Vincent Bach company they sold off all the tooling and spare parts at the New York factory and the Holton company bought it all. Since they used the original tooling and everything to produce the T-101, it's essentially identical to NY Bach Strads except for the name brand stamp. Never tried one but I've heard from so many cats that it's an amazing horn that plays just like a NY Strad.

Having the tools, parts, and patterns (mandrels), etc, does not confer equality on the product. Materials may be different - the brass alloy? Expertise doesn't reside in a tool either. If it did, buying a tool would make you a craftsman.

BTW - the expression is: "for all intents and purposes."
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
...According to popular trumpet industry lore, when Selmer acquired the Vincent Bach company they sold off all the tooling and spare parts at the New York factory and the Holton company bought it all. Since they used the original tooling and everything to produce the T-101, it's essentially identical to NY Bach Strads except for the name brand stamp...

I've heard that too, but I've read that it's just an urban myth...wish I could locate that link. Anyway, I used to own a Mt. Vernon, and a friend bought a Holton Symphony. As an experiment, we tried switching various parts and they didn't fit (same bore size, BTW). I think the Holton is a nice copy, but it wasn't made on ex-Bach tooling.
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
textr wrote:

See page 1 of this very thread for posts by the man who was there.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: read before post Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:

From what I understand it's more than just a recreation of the Mt. Vernon Bach Strad, it for all intensive purposes IS a Mt. Vernon Strad! According to popular trumpet industry lore, when Selmer acquired the Vincent Bach company they sold off all the tooling and spare parts at the New York factory and the Holton company bought it all.

SNJ wrote on page 1 :Also the model used to create the T101 was an extremely good playing 37 Bach with a 25 leadpipe made in Elkhart, not Mount Vernon . It was supplied brand new off the shelf from a dealer at the time. I took it apart--we measured and qualified every specification and I reassembled the horn.
After reassembling it still played very well.
We used no old tooling from anyone. All tooling including bell mandrels were made to our specs in our corporate tool room at Leblanc and all tooling was brand new. I am sorry if anyone out there may have been told about Mount Vernon and old tooling but it's really not true.

So please read all pages before making a fool out of yourself.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Oops I did it again.... Reply with quote

Holy Mac! Albert you just outsmarted me
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that the T101 that SNJ refered to in his post was the one developed in the early 1980's. This was the second version of the T101 that Holton made. The first was version was introduced by Holton in late 1964 and is quite different that the later version (I have owned both). The story about the Mt. Vernon tooling refers to the first version and not the second. That being said I have no idea if the story is true or not but the first T101 came out a couple of months after the Mt. Vernon factory closed. Also Vincent Bach did have a good relationship with the Holton company and Selmer had no interest in the old tooling as they where making their own.
It is also well known that Vincent seemed to strapped for cash quite often and he had a history of reusing parts that didn't measure up to Strad specs to make the Mercury and Mercedes line so selling tooling that was still good and not going to be used anymore would certainly seem to fit Vincent's personality. I would also like to point out that many people consider the very early Elkharts to be among Bach's finest as the overall quality of craftsmen at the Elkhart plant (old conn employees) was greater that those of Mt. Vernon. I would also think that the same would be true of the Holton employees. My point is, no matter if the story is true or not, the Holton T101 is a fantastic trumpet no matter what year you have.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I kind of came in reading the end of the thread without noticing SNJ's post on the first page, I stand very corrected. I guess that's another brass industry debunked from the horse's mouth. Oh and Manuel, thanks a lot for correcting me with such tact and grace, appreciate it man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
Manuel, thanks a lot for correcting me with such tact and grace, appreciate it man.

You're welcome man, Dutch people are always helpful and famous for being very polite .

Back to the T 101 - T 102 case. So it is engraved in the reciever. Nice. This is helpful as well since I have to check out a certain Holton.
Are this Holtons as sensitive as the later Holton MF-horn ST306 for red rot?
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 101 102 103 104 105 106 etc. Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
So we can say that the difference between T 101 and T 102 is that the latter has less resistance? How can you see which model it is? Is it marked somewhere?
If yes, where?

Greetings from Holland, Manuel.

Hey, Manuel. Greetings. I have both horns, made after the year 2000. Each horn has the model in a rather small font stamped on the side of the second valve, either "T101" or "T102".

I would rate the T102 as having less resistance than the T101. This is consistent with Holton advertising from the period. Both have a nice core sound. The T101 seems to have a little better articulation in my hands than the T102, perhaps because of the slightly higher resistance from the T101. I use the T101, actually T101S, for silver, in large wind ensembles, and symphony orchestra when a Bb is needed.
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invalid post deleted

Last edited by Paul.Trumpet on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: T-101? Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
since I have to check out a certain Holton.

Well Gentlemen, I checked the horn and it wasn't a T-101 or 102, it was a T-100X!
I tried the instrument and I was surprised how easy it played. However, compared to my Conn 22B NYS 1924 the sound was on the thin side and I found the 'minimum bracing' scary...... So I didn't return with two horns on my Ducati Pantah 650.
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I had a hankering for one of the T-100 series horns. I missed out on a few on ebay. Eventually one came up locally and I bought it. At the time my main trumpet was a 1975 Bach Mercedes.

The Holton was so similar to the Bach I ended up selling it. I regret it now but I play cornet most of the time and I didn't see the point of the horn just sitting. I purchased the Holton from a guy who had bought it as NOS from a store in LA. It was like new as he had barely played the thing.

I think they are one of the great sleeper horns of all time. People will spend $1000+ for a Bach but the T-100 series horns go for slightly more than half of that on ebay. It's amazing how people can be so over-the-top about the brand name of an instrument.

Case in point - my cornet is a "Baldwin", an early 1960s Blessing stencil Artist model. Absolutely, hands-down, the best cornet I have every played! I bought it for $150 on ebay and wouldn't sell it for ten times that amount. It had been a closet horn and still looks like new.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
SMJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I previously provided incorrect info about the T105.
I had about 100 LT 101 bodies on the shelf with no bells mounted on them.This was a completely lightweight version of a T101 ,bell and all.
From these I created the TM 2000 Millennium model by mounting a standard weight T101 bell on the light LT101 body. This limited edition sold so well that at year end we continued it as a T105.

For some reason I confused this model with the wide Constellation style that the Don Ellis quarter tone horn was made from.(this was before my time with Leblanc) Sorry about that.

Regarding the T102--It was a T101 with a more open mouthpipe(different taper) and slightly rounder tuning bow as well as a shorter 3rd slide. This was made in collaboration with our Japanese distributor that was very heavily into trumpet development. It was more open and flexible than the T101.

T103 was also in collaboration with the Japanese.This started with the standard T101 body with the T102 mouthpipe in a reversed design and slightly rounder tuning bow. The bell was a standard Maynard Ferguson bell that accounts for it's massive sound.These horns may have also had the bayonet style 3rd stop rather than the adjustable rod.

As a side note--prior to the development of the T101,Larry Ramirez pulled a Holton/Bach copy off from the shelf at Holton and I had a chance to look at it and play it. I don't know if they made many of these at Holton if at all.It played alot like a Bach and it was good.He pulled this horn out for Lynn Nicholson to borrow. Lynn was playing for a Sinatra gig and the musical director required he play a Bach so he used the loaner we provided. Interesting.
SMJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I was right and wrong at the same time regarding my incorrect information on the T105.
I just ran across a Jan 31 posting about the owner of an actual quarter tone Holton and it was marked as a T105. This made sense to me previously as Holton made the Constellation style mode which was a T104 and the Ellis horn(T105) was supposed to be a spin off of that. That was told to me by Larry Ramirez. At the same time it looks as though Leblanc decided to reuse the T105 at a later date for the limited edition Millennium model when it became a permanent part of the line.
JaredT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Holton T102 Reply with quote

SMJ's story about crafting the T101 settled made my decision concerning which "new" used horn to buy, a few weeks back. I picked up a T102S on Craigslist for $275. This T102 has even response across its range, notes slot beautifully, intonation is splendid, and the look reminds me of my Strad (now the horn my son plays at school and in the Berkshire Symphony).

The horn is not all goodness and light, of course. It's valves are slower than the Strad, it is a heavier horn (though I rather like the heft), and it's tone is less crisp and clear. That said, it beats my old (1920's vintage), narrow bore Conn dance band horn by a long shot. It's less open, but far better in tune, than the student Blessing I picked up for $50 a year ago.

All in all, this was a very satisfying purchase. It's a fine practice horn for most of us dedicated amateurs, and a very fine horn for students, who'll benefit from its consistent response and intonation. My thanks to SMJ for a great story and a fine recommendation.
joensab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Holton T102 Reply with quote

JaredT wrote:
SMJ's story about crafting the T101 settled made my decision concerning which "new" used horn to buy, a few weeks back. I picked up a T102S on Craigslist for $275. This T102 has even response across its range, notes slot beautifully, intonation is splendid, and the look reminds me of my Strad (now the horn my son plays at school and in the Berkshire Symphony).

The horn is not all goodness and light, of course. It's valves are slower than the Strad, it is a heavier horn (though I rather like the heft), and it's tone is less crisp and clear. That said, it beats my old (1920's vintage), narrow bore Conn dance band horn by a long shot. It's less open, but far better in tune, than the student Blessing I picked up for $50 a year ago.

All in all, this was a very satisfying purchase. It's a fine practice horn for most of us dedicated amateurs, and a very fine horn for students, who'll benefit from its consistent response and intonation. My thanks to SMJ for a great story and a fine recommendation.

Rather than promote suggestions as to what you might do to obtain the most from your T-102S 'buy' on Craigslist, let me say that I am interested in purchasing the horn from you with a margin of profit that will allow you to find a horn that meets your expectations of a fine practise horn. Please contact me ASAP as I would love to start taking apart that horn if there are inherent to-do's associated with it.
Dutchman1954

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive me for resurrecting this thread, but it does deal with something that I've been researching for a while. Just came upon this site recently, and have found it very enlightening. I've spent a sizable portion of my life involved in music, went to college as a music ed major. Also spent a fair amount of time working for a pipe organ builder.
Anyway I have owned a number of horns in the course of my life, the last two were both Holtons. The first one was a late 1950's Collegiate. The second one is the one I took to college, an early T101.The serial # pegs it as being made in 1965. I bought it new from a music store in Western PA in late 1969. The store owner told me that it had been sitting on the shelf wrapped in plastic for at least three years. Now here where it gets a little interesting. On the mouthpiece receiver is inscribed "T101A Artist". After countless hours on the net I have found no reference whatsoever about this partcular model. It is laquer finished, and has a spring loaded trigger on the first valve slide. It'sa nice sounding horn, easy to play. I'ts not a light horn, but it's nowhere near as heavy as the Collegiate that I used to march with.

Any thoughts?
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a T-101G with a factory gold brass bell. Can't wait to get it. thought I'd add this to the thread. Don't believe there was any mention of this variation.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: