• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

audition excerpts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: audition excerpts Reply with quote

I am currently working on the following excerpts,
leonore no3
pictures at the exhibition
mahler 5
petrouchka

I want to get a better understanding of the style and proper way to perform this excerpts. I have listened to various recordings of each but i want to understand the excerpts more. is there any reading i could do at the library that can aid my understanding?
What does the Trumpet herald think is the proper way (in terms of style) to perform them? Thanks
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great excerpts and the fact that you are listening is so important. I would make certain to just listen to your teacher and to learn as much about the works as possible through reading some music history books: Grout, etc..... Keep listening and learning from your teacher and your recordings!!!!!
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS.

Also pick up the Phil Smith excerpt cd.....Its a very valuable resource.
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Phil smith CD, it's one of the things im listening to.
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the scores to supplement the recordings....

This way you see exactly how the excerpt fits in.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, get a copy of the whole part, and perform along with various recordings of different orchestras under different conductors. Then take away the recording and make it YOUR excerpt.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: audition excerpts Reply with quote

dominicano224 wrote:
I am currently working on the following excerpts,
leonore no3
pictures at the exhibition
mahler 5
petrouchka

I want to get a better understanding of the style and proper way to perform this excerpts. I have listened to various recordings of each but i want to understand the excerpts more. is there any reading i could do at the library that can aid my understanding?
What does the Trumpet herald think is the proper way (in terms of style) to perform them? Thanks

Along with listening to assorted recordings or performances of the pieces (which is invaluable), a little study of the pieces and their place in history will be helpful. Luckily for you, each piece you list is programmatic to one degree or another. That is, each piece (and the trumpet excerpt) describes some dramatic action, character or event.
Leonore 3is a plot device in an opera (Fidelio) - an off stage trumpet call signaling an event which will change everyone's fate.
Pictures is, well, a series of musical miniatures evoked by Hartmann's pictures; although the Promenade is somewhat neutral and open to various treatments (it supposedly represents the composer moving through the gallery, and serves as a connecting device).
Mahler #5 opening is a funeral cortege, and later 1st movt excerpts are usually interpreted as hysterical grief, and nostalgic longing.
Petrouchka, being a balletic treatment of an old story, is a virtual pre-movie/TV soundtrack which can help guide interpretation. For example, the "Ballerina's Dance" accompanies a ballerina, and is not helped by long, Bruckner-like eighth notes.
Peter Bond
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: audition excerpts Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:
Along with listening to assorted recordings or performances of the pieces (which is invaluable), a little study of the pieces and their place in history will be helpful. Luckily for you, each piece you list is programmatic to one degree or another. That is, each piece (and the trumpet excerpt) describes some dramatic action, character or event.
Leonore 3is a plot device in an opera (Fidelio) - an off stage trumpet call signaling an event which will change everyone's fate.
Pictures is, well, a series of musical miniatures evoked by Hartmann's pictures; although the Promenade is somewhat neutral and open to various treatments (it supposedly represents the composer moving through the gallery, and serves as a connecting device).
Mahler #5 opening is a funeral cortege, and later 1st movt excerpts are usually interpreted as hysterical grief, and nostalgic longing.
Petrouchka, being a balletic treatment of an old story, is a virtual pre-movie/TV soundtrack which can help guide interpretation. For example, the "Ballerina's Dance" accompanies a ballerina, and is not helped by long, Bruckner-like eighth notes.
Peter Bond

I believe we each owe Peter about $40.00 for that very valuable
"private" lesson.

Thanks!

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: audition excerpts Reply with quote

[quote="trombapaul2
....I believe we each owe Peter about $40.00 for that very valuable
"private" lesson.

Thanks!

Paul[/quote]

For a moment here, I entertained visions of paying off my mortgage. Then I realized that I'd just have to forward the money to all the people from whom I've received free tips and advice over the years.
Thanks anyway, Paul.
Peter Bond
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: audition excerpts Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:

For a moment here, I entertained visions of paying off my mortgage. Then I realized that I'd just have to forward the money to all the people from whom I've received free tips and advice over the years.
Thanks anyway, Paul.
Peter Bond

A real class act. Thanks for hanging around here, Mr. Bond.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey peter,
where can i find more information about the setting of each piece?
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dominicano224 wrote:
hey peter,
where can i find more information about the setting of each piece?

I learned lot by reading album liner notes and music reviews in papers and magazines. There are also innumerable books. Finally, let me draw your attention to a powerful tool right under your fingers right now.....
Peter Bond
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Excerpt interpretations Reply with quote

Excellent advice so far. Do keep these tips in mind. Additional option would possibly be Rob McGregor's Audition and Performance Preparation books. Not only good for practicing the excerpts but etudes based on them to develop style and interpretation. Also good commentary on style considerations. Bottom line is listening and using fine recordings as a guide with the idea of being flexible according to any given conductor's instructions.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: