• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ravel Concerto in G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Ravel Concerto in G Reply with quote

Greetings,

Articulation question for people....

If opting to double tongue the Ravel Concerto in G, what do you all prefer - double tonguing ALL eighth notes (even an isolated pair), or only double tonguing in the middle third or so of the excerpt with the long run of eighth notes? I found recently that if I only double tongue the long stream of eighth notes, the excerpt becomes much more managable (assuming I'm taking it at a tempo too fast for single tonguing).

What do you all do?

Thanks!
Greg

Last edited by gms979 on Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve_fenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I single tongue it. However, if I had to double tongue it, I would likely just double tongue the longer runs, and single tongue where possible.
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a personal prefferrence I single the groups of quavers when they come in threes or less and double the longer passages. This works a treat for me but I had to spend a while making sure that the double balanced up to the single in sound.
Experiment and use what works for you.
Jim
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ravel Concerto in G Reply with quote

gms979 wrote:
Greetings,

Articulation question for people....

If opting to double tongue the Ravel Concerto in G, what do you all prefer - double tonguing ALL eighth notes (even an isolated pair), or only double tonguing in the middle third or so of the excerpt with the long run of eighth notes? I found recently that if I only double tongue the long stream of eighth notes, the excerpt becomes much more managable (assuming I'm taking it at a tempo too fast for single tonguing).

What do you all do?

Thanks!
Greg

Over the years, I did all kinds of things, but have settled on working it up starting w/slow double tongue, gradually increasing tempo to performance speed and a little beyond. If you double tongue all of it, all of the time, no conductor's or soloist's tempo can bother you (technically, anyway).

On a related topic, I also frequently begin pick-ups with a K syllable.
In the Ravel:
TK T T TKTKT TKT--KTKT T...KTKT T TKTKTKTK etc.
For the Schmuyl slo from "Pictures":
kT T T Tu-ee-u, kT T T Tu-ee-u
Sheherazade also has spots that benefit from this approach.

Getting accustomed to starting on T or K with equal ease can really help a lick "trip" easily and convincingly, and make your playing more clear, accurate, and musical.
Peter Bond
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I do not offend anybody, by updating this topic, if so: sorry.

While playing this part, most of us forget they are making music. Because the tongueing seems to be the biggest problem. But my advise would be: make music, and don't think too much about double or single tongue. If you listen well to the music and you allow yourself to go with the music, it really happens that you're playing automatically the right way, without being bothered about your tongue.

Hope this helps
Dance Of Vengeance
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just single tongue it. Is 120 really too fast to single tongue?
steve_fenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance Of Vengeance wrote:
Just single tongue it. Is 120 really too fast to single tongue?

For some people, yes. Particularly for extended passages such as in the Ravel.
drincredible313

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post removed

Last edited by drincredible313 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try every way possible - be able to single it faster than you need to, but also learn the multipe tongue approach (as described by Mr Bond).
I have only had to do the part a couple of times - once was slightly slower than what one might term the "usual" speed, so single tongue was more than possible.
The other I think I singled as well - I had practised it both ways, but found that single was possible, so went for the one I preferred.
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I use, for what its worth...

TTT T TKTKT TK T---TTK TT TTK TT TKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKT TKT TKT TKTKTKT TKTKTKTKTKT.

Probably not much different than Mr. Bond's, except for the TTK pickups just before the second line...I feel it its much clearer for me - I've never liked playing pickups starting on K.

I am able to single tongue it at 116, the defacto tempo for this excerpt IMO, but I think double tonguing it is much clearer and more articulate.

Best,

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone else does this...but I discovered something great about this excerpt a couple of weeks ago.

I had always played it on C trumpet, and somewhat struggled with it...I just couldn't make it sound quite right both double and single tonguing it.

I actually tried playing it on my D trumpet...a LO AND BEHOLD!! The problems all seemed to go away. The darn thing even lays better on D trumpet, in my opinion! Give that a try, and see what you think!

Louie (who will now always play the Ravel on D trumpet) Eckhardt
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Socrates
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what loudog stated above. Don't be afraid to experiment with the smaller horns on this excerpt. Because the orchestra is quite smaller than normal, you don't have to worry about sounding too small. Both D, and Eb trumpet work well. I have even seen Ramon Parcells in Detroit use a four-valve Schilke G trumpet on this piece.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Kanstul Signature Eb/D on this piece. It lies really really well on the D side. Not tired it on Eb, and haven't ever actually seen a G trumpet in person so I can't vouch for them. But try it on D if you have one lying around...

Stuart
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loudog wrote:
Not sure if anyone else does this...but I discovered something great about this excerpt a couple of weeks ago.

I had always played it on C trumpet, and somewhat struggled with it...I just couldn't make it sound quite right both double and single tonguing it.

I actually tried playing it on my D trumpet...a LO AND BEHOLD!! The problems all seemed to go away. The darn thing even lays better on D trumpet, in my opinion! Give that a try, and see what you think!

Louie (who will now always play the Ravel on D trumpet) Eckhardt

I practice it on Bb and C, but I agree about the D; the Ravel pno concerto lies very well on it.
Peter Bond
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: