• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuneup: Basic Training Intonation System Book/CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Tuneup: Basic Training Intonation System Book/CD Reply with quote

Does anyone own this book?

Tuneup: Basic Training Intonation System Book/CD

I am thinking of purchasing it, but it cost more then I am willing to spend, so I would like to hear some feedback before going in blind to purchase it. Here is the webpage:

http://thompsonmusic.com/store/page46.html

Kevin
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehhh...seems kinda gimmicky...don't you trust your ear?

The book by Cal Price (for half the price) looks interesting though.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this CD. It is fantastic. Period. It has helped me learn tendencies of new horns very quickly, and I do pull it out from time to time just to "brush up". It covers all 12 keys with excercises on learning to play any note of a scale against all other notes, so you can "feel" how intervals aare supposed to sound, including minor seconds and all. There are four part chorales too, and you can play any line (SATB) to see how each voice lines up in a given chord. The CD is recorded in just intonation, not equal temperament, so you get used to hearing how intonation works in ensemble playing.

I would seriously consider this book/CD. You do, however, need a decent quality stereo system capable of a healthy playback volume, unless you want to practice pp all the time. The trombone studio at the University of Nebraska uses this method all the time, and some players have blown up their boomboxes with this CD!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, but do not use it. The tone used for the tuning exercises is a low pitch which I feel is more suitable to low brass. I have a problem making the transfer from a lower octave note to the note that I'm playing. I also have trouble tuning off the tuba in wind ensemble. I bought mine used for $20 and would be willing to part with it for that.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Matt that the pitch is low (I have the trombone CD/book) but it has still been very valuable to me. I had heard a year or so ago that the trumpet CD was in the correct octave. I guess not.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there is only one CD for the Basic Training system. It might be different now as mine is one of the orginial versions that Mr. Colley was selling for half-price on TPIN.

Edit: I just checked his website and see that he has upped the price to $60 (when you factor in S&H). For that price, I would download Finale Notepad and create a series of exercises with single pitches and then chords of tonic/open fifth variety in the twelve different keys. Save them as a midi file, then burn to disc.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a copy of a post that I wrote a couple of years ago called TuneUp – Finding Elegance in Intonation

Quote:

I have been struggling to figure out how to incorporate some focused practice time several times a week to "fine-tune" my approach to intonation. I have tried some of the earlier TuneUp offerings from Stephen Colley and they just didn't fit with how I practice (even though I read many glowing recommendations from top orchestral musicians all over the country - CSO, New York Philharmonic).

Well, I just have to say WOW! What a tremendous improvement the updated TuneUp: Basic Training system is! The text is much clearer than in previous versions. The detailed suggestions that Steve provides for moving from "understanding" what being in tune means to making it a very real and learned experience is quite simply amazing. His "glissando" track provides the very best example of hearing where each interval is perfectly in-tune that I have ever experienced (and this from someone who went into serious detail in researching resultant tones and the mathematical description of describing Just Intonation). The key to that statement is the word "experienced". While I can understand when something is truly in tune (and I have experienced it occasionally in really great ensembles), getting to experience the "powerful serenity" of actually being in tune again and again using this program is extremely powerful. And since there is "unlimited access" to these exercises (just a CD click away), I can really spend sufficient time with each interval to get the intonation to really lock in. I can also choose to spend as little as 5 minutes with these exercises during a practice session, and I can feel my "intonation brain" getting exactly what it needs.

The sound quality that he has chosen for the recorded track exercises helps me to find the resonant center of the horn very easily allowing me to achieve a very vibrant and colorful sound (a major focus in my daily practice routine).

I used similar words in the post called A Rhythmic Epiphany, but they really apply here too. By spending focused conscious thought helping my sub-conscious to really understand what it is that I am programming into it (pure or just intonation in this case), it's like reading to a young child (conscious to subconscious). When the subconscious hears the "right" answer over and over, it will find a way to make that happen during rehearsal or performance because it has been nurtured with the "good stuff".

Stephen Colley has definitely provided us with a product that contains the "good stuff"! I highly recommend his new offering to help us all become more attentive section players, and solo players that can really hear what it means to be in-tune! As Chris Leuba (former Principal Horn with the Chicago Symphony) says, “elegance” is the attribute that we should all strive to attain regarding intonation. TuneUp will provide a tangible means to get there!

Bravo!

More info about Tune-Up.

I found a really great way to have this available anytime I want to spend a few minutes with some of the exercises. I downloaded this onto my iPod! I also put the James Thompson Buzzing Basics on it (both volumes). It’s so nice not to have to fumble around to find these disks. I just push a couple of buttons and voi la. I highly recommend this product!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: