• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

If you're a horn collector....input needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: If you're a horn collector....input needed! Reply with quote

Good morning,

It's my nature - whenever I embark on an adventure I generally build a website about it. As a background, http://www.virtual-coach.com/contractor_hell/index.shtml was created after I lost big money to an unscrupulous contractor, http://www.trumpetwonders.com was built because I just like trumpets, and http://www.lingstar.com/learning was built after I taught one of my kids how to read.

My adventures in getting my Wild Thing and my kids' trumpets among other things has led me to create a site for folks who collect/buy/sell trumpets; the initial cut is at http://www.IBuyTrumpets.com . I've divided the categories by state, and have also added on the lower left hand side resources links for trumpet news, forums, mailing lists, mouthpiece help, etc.

My question to all trumpet collectors - what would you find valuable to be included in either the site or in listings? I figured folks who want to advertise would want either a banner ad with a link to their collectors page, or possible a paragraph that shows why someone should sell their horns to them. Am I completely off the wall and have I missed anything?

Input greatly appreciated (I plan on going live this weekend),

Barb
fcirkse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I had a few minutes to review your site.

First glance - I like it! It's easy to read, fairly straight-forward and a nice mix of personal and "to-the-point" focus. It is very professional looking and consistent - great techniques used for making a site visit a pleasure instead of a problem.

Now, being a webmaster for a public agency I must admit that I get the opportunity at times to critique websites for others so I'm going to be brutally honest - hope that's OK.

First thought, even before I clicked to get to your site, was "another buy/sell site for trumpets?" Reason I say this is that I've search so many places for up-to-date, real inventory, live realistic pricing info on horns, I've found there are about 3 categories sites fall into:
1. active - revelant - gives me what I'm looking for (Ebay, TH Marketplace and a handful of others I won't publish)
2. somewhere between 1 and 3 - somewhat up-to-date OR pricing seems used retail which I can get from the local music store (TraderJohn's is one that comes to mind. I check it when I'm looking for a particular horn to see if John has it - and he's a nice guy!)
3. totally out-of-date, forums have a total of 5 posts from 2001, horns for sale have an "updated 3-2-2002" post on them - OK???.

So, I was looking for the angle this site might have to draw me. Until it's populated, I'll have to reserve comments on this.

More practical:
1. the dual listing of states ( left side and right side ) was at first confusing and I assumed it was to balance the page?
2. I was looking for a link from a subpage after a while to the "HOME page" but didn't find it - did I miss it?
3. I saw Trumpet Links subcategory on the right and was looking for more like this when I found the Trumpet Networking category down below on the left. I think those should all be together - that would be a draw for me - so I guess I'd take out the right-side state listings and pull the Trumpet Networking category up and over to the right side with that - or at least near it.
4. The 3rd link on your Trumpet Links page was Wartburg Trumpet Online in Iowa. I'm from Iowa and I didn't know they had such a deal - thank you!!!

Well - I hope to revisit your site again but I just wanted to give first thoughts - thank you.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For potential buyers, a search feature such as TH Marketplace is mandatory. If you are targeting a specific model or make in a certain pricerange, you can zero in quicker.

An escrow service and the ability to act as a PayPal go between is good. We all want some security in the exchange of money and equipment.

Pics, pics, pics. Nothing sells a vintage instrument short of hands on playing time better than lots of pictures. I often thought someone could make a good sideline business as an auction photographer if they had a dedicated setup for lighting and backdrop. Paul Ayick's website is the standard to which all should aspire as far as photography of musical instruments.

A swap shop.
trumpetmom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: More explanation Reply with quote

Morning,

Thank you both for your input!

Regarding a marketplace/etc., I don't plan on being the go-between for folks selling/buying horns. 'sides, that's also already done most admirably by TH here.

Instead, I want to target serial collectors (folks who simply collect horns, be they antique, vintage, pro, etc.). See, when I was considering selling my Bach Strad, I didn't even know about Dillons or the fact there were a number of collectors who would be interested! And I'm certain I'm not the only person online like that.

Thus, I'd like the site to appeal to collectors so they'd want to advertise their interests (ie, I buy Monettes in NJ, contact me first if you have one! and things of that nature).

I'm quite shy in real life and lack the ability to get into the buying/selling myself.

Thanks again for the input,

Barb
trumpetmom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning!

>>First glance - I like it! It's easy to read, fairly straight-forward and a nice mix of personal and "to-the-point" focus. It is very professional looking and consistent - great techniques used for making a site visit a pleasure instead of a problem.<<

Thanks - I've been building pages since 1994. This is one of my favorite looks.

>>Now, being a webmaster for a public agency I must admit that I get the opportunity at times to critique websites for others so I'm going to be brutally honest - hope that's OK.<<

But of course!

>>First thought, even before I clicked to get to your site, was "another buy/sell site for trumpets?" Reason I say this is that I've search so many places for up-to-date, real inventory, live realistic pricing info on horns, I've found there are about 3 categories sites fall into:
1. active - revelant - gives me what I'm looking for (Ebay, TH Marketplace and a handful of others I won't publish)
2. somewhere between 1 and 3 - somewhat up-to-date OR pricing seems used retail which I can get from the local music store (TraderJohn's is one that comes to mind. I check it when I'm looking for a particular horn to see if John has it - and he's a nice guy!)
3. totally out-of-date, forums have a total of 5 posts from 2001, horns for sale have an "updated 3-2-2002" post on them - OK???.<<

I know what you mean. I'm not going to do the actual buying/selling nor the listing of the actual horns. Think of it more like a direct signpost to send folks with trumpets for sale directly to the folks who want to buy them.

>>..
1. the dual listing of states ( left side and right side ) was at first confusing and I assumed it was to balance the page?<<

Ummm....yep. I wanted to make it impossible for
people to miss a state.

>>2. I was looking for a link from a subpage after a while to the "HOME page" but didn't find it - did I miss it?<<

Yep. The image at the top is hyperlinked to the main page. That being said, perhaps adding a "Home" button would make a smidgen of sense.

>>3. I saw Trumpet Links subcategory on the right and was looking for more like this when I found the Trumpet Networking category down below on the left. I think those should all be together - that would be a draw for me - so I guess I'd take out the right-side state listings and pull the Trumpet Networking category up and over to the right side with that - or at least near it.<<

I'll check on that. I know I must have had a reason for doing it that way...

>>4. The 3rd link on your Trumpet Links page was Wartburg Trumpet Online in Iowa. I'm from Iowa and I didn't know they had such a deal - thank you!!!<<

>>Well - I hope to revisit your site again but I just wanted to give first thoughts - thank you.<<

And thank you for your time and comments!

Barb
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to see is a Wikipedia for trumpets and cornets, where people could create their own sections on vintage horns and people could add info. www.horn-u-copia.net is trying to do something like this but it's not a wiki format.

Bob
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barb,

One of my pet peeves is correctly written HTML. There is an excellent and free validator for HTML, by the people who write the standard for HTML at http://validator.w3.org/

I took the liberty of running your website through. These are the results:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibuytrumpets.com%2F

I must add that when you run some professional websites through the validator the results can be shocking (so please don't be offended).

Regards, Christine
trumpetmom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

connloyalist wrote:
Hi Barb,

One of my pet peeves is correctly written HTML. There is an excellent and free validator for HTML, by the people who write the standard for HTML at http://validator.w3.org/

I took the liberty of running your website through. These are the results:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibuytrumpets.com%2F

I must add that when you run some professional websites through the validator the results can be shocking (so please don't be offended).

Regards, Christine

Not offended at all! I appreciate the link and will
check out the html again.

Barb
someone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiobob wrote:
What I'd like to see is a Wikipedia for trumpets and cornets, where people could create their own sections on vintage horns and people could add info. www.horn-u-copia.net is trying to do something like this but it's not a wiki format.

Bob

I really want to see a wiki for trumpets as well, specifically information on the supertrumpets (bach, monette, eclipse, lawler, harrelson, etc.)
carltrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!

Here is my 2 cents:
Since the homepage is the most valuable place on your site for advertisers , why not make the long list of states a jump/pull-down menu instead and use all that extra space below on the left for small banner ads from advertisers? If you are worried about folks not noticing the state selection menu right away, you could have some space/graphics around it that calls attention to it. "Select your state", etc... (no flashing text allowed )
I'm not sure if this is really your goal though - and not sure how advertising heavy you want it to get. Too many banners make a site look junky REAL FAST!

Or as a compromise, you could just do this on the right side where you have these 'state' links again. Of course, this is 'below the fold' and advertisers wont like that

I know you are trying to divide the site up neatly categorically by state, but having a few nation-wide buyers advertising on the hompage wouldn't be bad.

Are you thinking of expanding to include other types of brass intruments at some point?

Also, have you checked out any similar sites that deal with vintage guitars? I'm sure they must exist, and you might pick up some ideas.

Anyway, cool idea...I look forward to seeing how it evolves. (Is that your wild thing up top?)
trumpetmom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carltrumpet wrote:
Nice work!

Here is my 2 cents:
Since the homepage is the most valuable place on your site for advertisers , why not make the long list of states a jump/pull-down menu instead and use all that extra space below on the left for small banner ads from advertisers?

Excellent question. I try to build sites and maket them
as clueless-proof as possible...I need a visual one-click
impact for my target visitor audience (folks with trumpets
to sell). ie, hey, I have a trumpet to sell in Texas, where's
the Texas link? I'm also thinking about having a image map of
the US as well (or instead...or ....)

I was thinking about putting the advertising in the center of
each state page. Today I have to put up the 51-odd auctions
for the premiere real estate space (first center). Depending upon
how that goes, I'll then devise the best way to market other
spots on the site.

carltrumpet wrote:
If you are worried about folks not noticing the state selection menu right away, you could have some space/graphics around it that calls attention to it. "Select your state", etc... (no flashing text allowed )

I'm not sure if this is really your goal though - and not sure how advertising heavy you want it to get. Too many banners make a site look junky REAL FAST!

Exactly. I want this site to be a value-added service first
and foremost for the collectors who invest in listing on the
specific pages. They are *my* customers; *their* customers
ideally will be the folks visiting the site with trumpets to sell.

I wrote up
http://www.ibuytrumpets.com/whyadvertise.html on Friday that
explains more...I still have to add the local flavor too.

carltrumpet wrote:

Or as a compromise, you could just do this on the right side where you have these 'state' links again. Of course, this is 'below the fold' and advertisers wont like that

I know you are trying to divide the site up neatly categorically by state, but having a few nation-wide buyers advertising on the hompage wouldn't be bad.

True, that's why I have a link for 'National'. I have
to tweak that page.

carltrumpet wrote:
Are you thinking of expanding to include other types of brass intruments at some point?

Depends upon how well this turns out. Trumpets are the logical first step for me, as a.) these last two months taught me quite alot about buying/selling/supply/demand and b.) I play them myself.

carltrumpet wrote:
Also, have you checked out any similar sites that deal with vintage guitars? I'm sure they must exist, and you might pick up some ideas.

My husband loves guitars and suggested that as well. So that's something I need to investigate and see how it's been done.

carltrumpet wrote:
Anyway, cool idea...I look forward to seeing how it evolves. (Is that your wild thing up top?)

Nope, my Wild Thing sit happily below my computer table
with my Arban's book on top and my Pops collection at
the other end of the table and my Balanced Embouchure
to the left of the screen. Some day I do have to take
pix of all the trumpets in me family......

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Barb
trumpetmom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,

It's cold and rainy and icky here in NJ....and I just finished the first of my IBuyTrumpets.com auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7382674706 (for the state of NJ). I plan on finishing the rest today. Suggestions for improvement greatly appreciated.

Off to take a break and play my trumpet,

Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: