• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large Bore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
so55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Large Bore Reply with quote

What are the pros and cons of large bore trumpets in playing jazz?

Is it a disadvantage in
- ease of playing
- bending notes
- playing fast licks
- playing soft
- endurance, etc...

Is it an advantage in getting
- a richer and darker sound
- a full sound in high register, etc..

Or is there just a marginal difference between large and ML in practice?
I am concerned with small jazz settings in all the above questions.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a trumpet... use whatever you play best on..

the only difference I might find, is does the horn project forward well, or will the sound kinda spread "sideways"?....play a horn with both qualities if possible...

Bob.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the horn. I own a Bach LT180 ML (.459) with a 43 leadpipe. I also owned a few CG Benge (.468, with .464 bell Choke)trumpets in the past. I have always felt that the Bach played very similarly to the CG Benges as far as feel, projection, and resistance. Both are great horns, but different bore sizes. The 8310Z also plays well. This is a M bore (.445) similar to a Schilke B6. I played on a Yamaha 739T (.463) for quite some time when I played a lot of lead stuff. It was bright and open. Similar to a Schilke X3.I could never get it to "calm down" for small group stuff. It was always too much.

I think that the darker or brighter sound comes from the metal, and weight of the horn more than bore size. What you play for a mouthpiece has some effect, and the leadpipe and bell combinations are also not all identical. There are many variables to consider. It's what feels best to you.

Pete
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to name two specific trumpets for comparison. Generalities of comparing large bore vs. ml bore just don't work. Just today, a couple of friends and I were comparaing a Callet Jazz to my Concept TT, both large bores, with the Callet at .470 and the TT at .463 yet the TT felt freer blowing and more dynamic.

So, generalities don't work. If you'll name some horns you're considering, then we might be able to help you better.

Dave
DLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Pete and dcstep have given you all the info you need. The material, weight, bracing... all those things come into play. I have a ML .460 Lawler that is almost 20 years and a .470 Taylor Chicago Custom. I don't see any difference in the blow of each horn. They appear to be identical, at least to me. However, the horns are completely different regarding sound due to the variables that Pete and dcstep have pointed out.

One other thing to think about - early Maynard, Cat Anderson, Fats Navarro, those guys played on small bore horns and screamed. Now the fad appaears to be ML and L bores. Try several and see what works best for you.
so55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the answers. Sorry for not giving specific trumpets. What I had in mind while asking this question was Martin Committees or Imperials. I'm afraid of losing the flexibility and ease of playing of M/ML if I buy an L but I also expect a deeper and richer sound from an L. Furthermore, the demand for the large bore seems to be less so I hope to find a horn at a lower price. Am I right or TOTALLY wrong???
DLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price doesn't seem to have much to do with bore size. A vintage Committee (.453) in average shape may be $1500, great shape $2000 to $3000 and up. Good medium bore horns start around $700 used. Brand new, both bore sizes start at around $1400 and go up to the price of a new car.

Don't forget, it is how the horn is put together that determines the blow and response, not the bore size.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, when considering Committees the medium bore horns from the 1940s are the very best Committees. They've got a great warm sound, tons of flexibility and super responsiveness. They're easy to play in tune and they're unbeatable for sliding around between notes. The large bores, IMHO, have an overblown (no pun) reputation. They get bid up on Ebay because they're rarer, but I think they're not as fun to play.

I'm not too familiar with the Imperial; however, I've played early Magnas that were as good as the Committees. Still, I think your best bet is to look for a good late forties or early fifties medium bore Committee.

I just sold my 1946 Committee. The list of people that wanted it was long and I didn't even advertise it. I think you should expect to pay $1200 to $1800 for a good medium bore of a good vintage. Happy hunting.

Dave
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so55 wrote:
Am I right or TOTALLY wrong???

TOTALLY wrong. The large bore committees go for around $2000 where the medium bore committees go for around $1400.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Bore Reply with quote

so55 wrote:
What are the pros and cons of large bore trumpets in playing jazz?

Is it a disadvantage in
- ease of playing
- bending notes
- playing fast licks
- playing soft
- endurance, etc...

Is it an advantage in getting
- a richer and darker sound
- a full sound in high register, etc..

Or is there just a marginal difference between large and ML in practice?
I am concerned with small jazz settings in all the above questions.

Hi,

Bore size is totally irrelevant. Here's how to find your ultimate horn:

1. Don't pre-judge your opinions on the matter. Don't ever ask about "specs" before you play test a horn!

2. If you've got your chops developed, just pick up a bunch of horns and play 'em . . . until you find the one that plays the best for you.

3. After you find the best playing horn, then and only then, inquire about the bore size . . . if it still matters.

So many people read too much stuff, and try to learn all those "specs" . . . and when they finally get to test horns they've already got some preconceived notions in their minds which can totally cloud their judgement.

TRUST YOUR CHOPS . . . AND YOUR EARS. In the end . . . that's what its all about anyway!

A better conversation might be "How to test a horn." That's what it really takes to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: I've used the same trumpet in the past six years . . . in large arenas in front of over 10,000 . . . in intimate jazz clubs with a 3-piece rhythm section . . . playing lead in an 18-piece band and also doing legit jobs.

Again . . . find a great horn and it will work for most everything. Mine will play at the softest ppp level with full control and response . . . and blister ears in the audience if called upon.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, Tom. I couldn't have said it better. Specs are meaningless if the horn doesn't let you play your best.

I play a 1940 Olds Super and I couldn't be happier. I play this for everything, and I have no idea what the bore size is, and I don't care.

By the way, when I saw the subject for this topic, I thought it was talking about the Super Bowl, one of the largest bores I can think of.

musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted earlier that Maynard played a small bore horn early in his career... he actually played a large-bore Committee for years before he picked up the Connstellation.

In any case, specifically regarding Committees...

I've owned a '55 M bore Committee and a '49 L bore Committee. It's true, the M bores are awesome and easy to play, but they do get tight on louder gigs. For small group stuff, I liked the M bore better. (purely personal preference... Miles and Chet would certainly have had the opposite opinion)

BUT...
It's years later, and I still own the L bore. The reputation may indeed be overblown, but the horn produces a truly incredible fat sound that's unlike anything else I've played. And believe me, I searched for a long time for something comparable. (A Lawler came the closest.)

Ultimately, I found the L bore a bit harder (but not so much as to be impossible) to get around on at the end of the gig, but the sound made it worth it. It just requires a bit more pacing to pay off.

-m
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musiclifeline wrote:
Ultimately, I found the L bore a bit harder (but not so much as to be impossible) to get around on at the end of the gig, but the sound made it worth it. It just requires a bit more pacing to pay off.

My sentiments exactly with my large bore Genesis. BIG, beautiful sound, but I do find myself tiring just a bit sooner than on my previous, ML bore Yamaha. Nothing a bit more practice/playing time won't cure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: