• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AL HIRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Whenever I want to cry, I listen to I Can't Get Started. The power and tone combination is unreal. Goes to F without sounding high-Just beautiful.
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first trumpet players that I've heard.
lee1589

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: AL HIRT Reply with quote

Al was the first trumpet player who I immediately was in awe of his power and technique. I first heard him on the Pops Goes the Trumpet Album and was a fan from then on. People can say he never played up to his true abilility but given that, he was one of the greatest to ever play the trumpet. His cadenza on the Carnival of Venice, on that album, is one I still like to play at today.

I must chime in on "I Can't Get Started" and agree that I have never heard it played better. He also didn't do a bad job on "The Man With A Horn. "

Al is the King!
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, during the latter few years before I put my horn away for about two decades, Al Hirt became my trumpet playing idol. I have several of his LP albums and have managed to get a couple of them transferred to CD. I still marvel at the skills he possessed.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first records I owned was an Al Hirt album on which he played I Can't Get Started. I got it in 1962. It inspired me to play trumpet. What a great sound! I heard him in the 80's at the Muny in St. Louis. He was still pretty good. He held out an F forever with this great big sound and his tux pants fell down around his ankles. He wore boxers.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Whipped Cream and Other Delights". Still have the LP. No, I didn't buy it for the cover art! (although at the time that would have been enough reason).

Al Hirt is ALSO one of my all-time favourites.

Edit: Senility... the curse of the..... uh..... hmmmm........

Last edited by Tootsall on Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean "Herb Al-hirt". . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
jsou1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that both Al Hirt and Herb Alpert had an impact on the number of kids that took up the trumpet in the 60's (myself included). I know I had all of their albums at the time and listened to them around the clock. My parents would always ask me to play Cotton Candy, Fancy Pants, Jada, A Taste of Honey, The Lonely Bull etc. Talk about ear training/Listening & Analysis. It was nice that the trumpet was still considered a primary melody instrument in "mainstream/pop" music. The general public accepted the trumpet back then. Ask the average person (non-musician) today to name a famous trumpet player. If they're older it will be Harry James, Al Hirt, Herb Alpert, maybe Mangione. If they're younger (under 30)..maybe Botti. But I digress...back to Al:

An incredible player with amazing technique and power. He could also really play a pop ballad. Listen to his version of Stardust (Cotton Candy album?). I listened and transcribed that note for note (by ear) when I was around 12. I still use some of his licks from that tune today.

Al (the King) Hirt
Long Live the King!!

2014 Schilke Handcraft HCL-1
1941 Conn NY Symphony (22B)
1973 Yamaha 731 Flugelhorn
Warburton mouthpieces (anchor grip tops)
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
iambrassman wrote:
I take exception to your comment about his rendition of Carnival at Cernegie. (That album, by the way, is great in general).

"Great in general"...? I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying the album is uneven?

I merely would have preferred to hear him play more in his chosen genre than to use the COV to show off his technique, and to execute it in the manner he did. YMMV.

You misunderstand my comment. I say that "Al Hirt at Carnegie Hall" is 'great in general' -- not because the album is uneven -- rather because there is nothing less than great on it. From 'Up Above My Head' to his rendition of 'Carnival of Venice' every note is energetic, entertaining and 'pure trumpet'.

I now think you are part of the people who beleive Al's chosen genre was 'light commercial and dixieland' -- in reality Al's chosen genre was 'fun and entertain'. I saw him live several times when I was young -- and while his technique was far from being among the trumpet greats, his shows were always more entertaining.

I think it's okay to have fun with Carnival of Venice -- -- it is, afterall, a "carnival".
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AL HIRT Reply with quote

lee1589 wrote:
Al was the first trumpet player who I immediately was in awe of his power and technique. I first heard him on the Pops Goes the Trumpet Album and was a fan from then on... His cadenza on the Carnival of Venice, on that album, is one I still like to play at today...
Totally agree. My dad had that old LP, and I now own it along with a couple other old Al LP's. Always loved his "Trumeter's Lullaby". They made me appreciate powerful horn playing. Also, that cat KNEW what FUN was all about--still remember him as the Vilking in the Super Bowl! No "air" about him.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Jumbo Reply with quote

I have some fond memories of Al Hirt. Having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I can remember hearing Al Hirt on the radio. We even played one or two of his songs as stand music at football games- "Java" ; "Cotton Candy". That was some fun stuff.

Last week my son [16 years old] asked me what kind of songs we played in the stands. It's too bad that we don't currently have fun instrumentals [ pop music] for kids to play, even if they are not trumpet songs.

One major highlight for me was seeing Al Hirt in concert in about 1967 or '68. I was 12 or 13 years old then and this was my first big-time concert!

It was really a gas to hear a guy like that, especially at a young impressionable age.

I am still surprised at what happened there: During intermission we were milling around the stage area at the college auditorium. I went around the side to find Al Hirt's trumpet on a table in a little off-stage room! I walked right in and pushed down the valves of the horn [I think LeBlanc].

Some nerve, huh? Our band director was not there to chew me out, which would have been appropriate.

I did get Al Hirt's autograph, but that ticket is long gone.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobley--Thanks for this post. Made me get out Pops and The Greatest Horn and play them both this morning--great way to start the day!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hirt is one of my favorite all-around trumpet players. The guy could do just about anything...multiple tonguing of course, great big bright sound, great rhythmic feel, range...He had pretty much everything.
Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an intervue he did in the mid 60's and he said he was an entertainer not a musician, boy was he ever wrong. He was probably one of the most humble "greats" that ever was. He wasn't known as a "high" player, a jazz player, or anything special but he could do it all { he could scream with the best of them, take rides others only thought about,play sweeter than just about anyone]. I made a statement on this forum a few months ago and was taken wrong [it was my fault, I did not write what I meant], if I could only listen to on musician the rest of my life it would be Al. No matter what the program called for the man could do it well. Al, some day I hope to play in a band with you in the sky. Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall wrote:
"Whipped Cream and Other Delights". Still have the LP. No, I didn't buy it for the cover art! (although at the time that would have been enough reason).

Al Hirt is ALSO one of my all-time favourites.

Edit: Senility... the curse of the..... uh..... hmmmm........

If you're interested, a new remixed version of the Whipped Cream album is on the way by March 7. It's called Whipped Cream and Other Delights - Rewhipped. Really modernized, 21st Century style, with Herb doing some new trumpet playing. Same song list, but MUCH different than the original.

Check out THIS cover...you only see half of it below...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7022795&style=music&cart=304763314&BAB=M

Or, scroll around in here for more (full picture - comments on the album)...

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6610&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=25

Happy looking...and listening.
Odneal's Inferno
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hirt-One of the best-did things others could just wish they could, and a great cat! So smooth!
Casual Double High C Zoom Lessons
Music Educator
www.bobodneal.com
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz-Player-Collector had recommended a video called "Sarah Vaughan & Friends/ "Sass & Brass". I couldn't find a CD, but tracked down a old VHS tape on Amazon.

Shot in 1986 in a small club, it features Herbie Hancock, Maynard Ferguson, Al Hirt, Dizzy Gillespie, a young Chuck Mangione and Don Cherry all on stage together!

What was most interesting was to watch the interaction between all these great players. A lot of mutual respect. While Maynard seemed lead the show a bit, Jumbo had the respect of everyone. Nobody came close to his mastery of the horn.

Fabulous video and a great piece of music history.

Don
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iambrassman wrote:
You misunderstand my comment. I say that "Al Hirt at Carnegie Hall" is 'great in general' -- not because the album is uneven -- rather because there is nothing less than great on it.

We have differences of opinion about what constitutes "great", apparently. Which is fine.
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the life of me I can't understand why his Audio Fidelity recordings "At Dan's Pier 600" have not been reissued on CD. Great Dixie!
MartyH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: musical snobbery and Al Hirt Reply with quote

I think it's funny how people can express their dislike for an artist's ability and talent as if they, (the artist), did something horribly wrong by playing what they played the way they played it.

Al Hirt was simply incredible. His playing proves nothing succeeds like success.

Those that would be overly critical. I ask, "Have a lot of Gold records, yourself, do you?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: