• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AL HIRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: musical snobbery and Al Hirt Reply with quote

MartyH wrote:
Those that would be overly critical. I ask, "Have a lot of Gold records, yourself, do you?"

You're absolutely right, nobody should be able to submit an opinion (positive or negative) about an artist unless they hold the equivalent status of Kenny G.

I assume that you, Marty, never criticize a movie you've seen, as you haven't won any Oscars. Nor criticize a book you've read, because you haven't won a Pulitzer. Or a television show, because you haven't won an Emmy.

Total hogwash.

By your logic, nobody should be entitled to heap effusive praise upon an artist without similar credentials.

Only the elite can criticize art? Talk about musical snobbery.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad a friend told me about this thread! I was just emailing an online trumpet buddy of mine a few days ago about Al. I've been playing trpt. for 27yrs. (started when I was 3) and 'Jumbo' was always one of my main influences.
I knew I wanted to be a trumpet player as a very young child before hearing Al...listening to Jimmy McPartland, Bobby Hackett, Bix, Bunny, Henry Red Allen, Roy, Wild Bill Davidson (still one of my all-time favorites) and, of course, Louie...my dad was an ardent traditional jazz fan.
A few years later, when I heard Al, it was a 'shock to the system' to say the least! My God, how could a trumpet be played like that??!!

I was a dixieland fanatic as a little kid so you can imagine what it was like for an aspiring young trumpet player, in love with dixieland jazz, to hear Al playing for the first time. I guess I was about 8 or 9 when I discovered him in my dad's 'archives'.

When I was 12yrs. old I got to see him live.

I was a fanatical practicer, even at a young age, and took my horn everywhere...My grandparents would always take me to Atlantic City, NJ when I was growing up and I would take my horn so I could practice in the hotel room....And then it was in 1987 when my grandparents and mom found out Al was playing at the Showboat Hotel in Atlantic City...they must of went and talked to Al or something because, that afternoon, I got to go to his rehearsal to meet him and he was the nicest guy...I remember he was wearing a big Aloha shirt and I walked into the small theatre where he was playing. He hugged me and we talked about the trumpet..I don't remember what we said...but I was really happy and excited. During the concert he had a front row seat reserved for me in the audience and talked to me throughout the whole concert...he even dedicated some numbers to me and asked if I 'approved' of the way he was playing after every tune! I still remember him playing Carnival of Venice and seeing smoke come out of his bell...how could any kid forget that!! Yeah, I had the Arban's and was working on the Carnival of Venice at the time...LOL... You can just imagine what all of this meant to me as a 12yr old aspiring trumpet player who had all his albums!

I met my childhood hero and he was a wonderful person and played the trumpet so well that it had an overwhelming effect on me....

It's only looking back on it now that I realize how incredible the experience was.
A few weeks later I received an autographed picture of him that said 'To Lex, From One Horn Man to Another' Of course I still have it framed to this day!

Al 'He's The King' Hirt.

I forget what album that's off of....but it's definitely true!
Www.LexSamu.com
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(In interests of full disclosure, the first album I ever owned was an Al Hirt album. And as a kid, I listened to the Carnegie album alot, and yes, it did move me to shed the Venice variations, including the flourish up to high Eb [?] at the end.)
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm:

Wow, what a great story! It's nice to hear that Jumbo was as good a person as he was a musician. I will pass your story on to my son who is also a big fan of his. Personally, I have never heard a player more musical than him.

I know he was often criticised for simple tunes like Cotton Candy or Java (some of it not so simple!), but if you try to play them, you'll be hard put to make the simplest notes sound anything like big Al.

Every note he played whether it was a thirty second note or a simple quarter note, always had a shape, color and texture that fit the purpose he had in mind. Truly an amazing player.

If you ever get a chance to see the Sarah Vaughan video I mentioned, you'll get a sense that Maynard, Dizzy etc. all had a special respect for Jumbo.
MartyH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: total hogwash Reply with quote

Total Hogwash? Who says that?

My apologies if I offended you. I wasn't speaking of anyone in particular.
If you think you are "overly critical", as I said in the post, then I'm sorry I pricked a nerve that you felt the need to respond so harshly.

I do in fact, prefer the opinions of well educated and seasoned experts to those of someone that is not, what would you call an expert? An elitist?

I think people can have reasonable likes and dislikes and express them as such. I don't care for sophmoric, insulting criticism though. (I"m not talking about you!)

"Overly critical" is the key that you missed or decided meant something that I did not intend.

Anyhow, the Kenny G remark was a low blow.
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm,

Now that you've made a lot of us avid, old Al Hirt fans green with envy, I'll just say it's good to know you realize how very fortunate you are to have had that experience. Just from hearing Jumbo's commentary to the audience on his Live At Carnegie Hall album I figured him to be a pretty straight foward, nice guy. Unfortunately he passed on before I had any realistic chance to attend any of his live performance.

If it counts, I did get to shake Wayne Bergeron's hand last summer when he was in Lawton, OK performing with the 77th Army Band from Ft. Sill.

Happy for you, friend.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumbo was a POWERFUL influence on a lot of young guys back in the 50s and 60s. His incredible technique, gorgeous tone, firey power and happy personality were so wonderful!

He was the halftime star at TWO Super Bowls too!

I wish he'd been the star tonight too!

He was truly the "King" of hearts . . . and a warm, wonderful human being too!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was so nice to hear the kind words about Al...there are jazz trumpet players today who haven't really checked him out, believe it or not...

King of Hearts...I like that Tom...definitely 'a propos'! A new friend of mine just recently turned me on to Al again. I hadn't listened in WAY TOO LONG..and almost forgot how good he really was! Just ordered a couple more albums that I didn't have...

I didn't know Al played the superbowl! I missed it tonight....but I'll bet they didn't have anything that could match 'The King of Hearts'!
Www.LexSamu.com
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one Super Bowl I remember seeing, he actually played the national anthem with Doc. As I recall, Doc had a small sheet of music he held, but Al did not.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a video not too long ago that had clips of Maynard and Al trading solos/4's on an old standard -- it was later in Al's life, and his playing hadn't lost a step. Maynard even sat back and shook his head a few times.

Beautiful player, beautiful man. Can't help but smile thinking about him, and I never even got a chance to see him live...

Paul
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee wrote:
The one Super Bowl I remember seeing, he actually played the national anthem with Doc. As I recall, Doc had a small sheet of music he held, but Al did not.
That was Super Bowl IV, in New Orleans, where the Vikings played the Chiefs. Al wore a Viking costume (looked quite the part) and Doc wore an Indian costume (not many Indians with mustaches) throughout the game. Doc had the last laugh, though--Kansas City 23 Minnesota 7.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: total hogwash Reply with quote

Quote:

To whom? My point was, he's got plenty of record sales, is he qualified to be critical?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: total hogwash Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
Quote:

To whom? My point was, he's got plenty of record sales, is he qualified to be critical?

Jeff, Kenny G has sold more records than Tom Harrell or Woody Shaw. Doesn't that mean that Kenny G must be better than Tom Harrell or Woody Shaw???
MartyH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: I never set any criteria for criticism - you did. Reply with quote

I don't care about Kenny G. What I do care about is your total misunderstanding of my post. Posting your misinterpretation of my post as MY ideas of who may or may not criticize an artist. I MADE NO SUCH CLAIM!

I thought the "gold record" comment was an amusing, if not sarcastic, way of looking at the way popular acclaim could be used as a measure of ANY person's criticism, if it were,and I state again, overly critical, (what I mean is nasty and unforgiving).

I NEVER stated that only those that have achieved such critical or popular acclaim have the right to criticize. YOU DID. It is indeed even questionable as to whether any popular award could qualify anyone as elite. Yet you ascribe this as "my logic". How presumtious of you.

I regret that you took offense to my post and I indeed regret posting it; as I could have left it up to you to post my ideas, as you know me so well.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: total hogwash Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Jeff, Kenny G has sold more records than Tom Harrell or Woody Shaw. Doesn't that mean that Kenny G must be better than Tom Harrell or Woody Shaw???

Is that sarcasm? Record sales have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with talent level. There are phenominal musicians that sell very few recordings, and there are questionable "artists" that sell millions due to fan base, marketing/agents, etc.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: total hogwash Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
jazz_trpt wrote:
Quote:

Yes. It means that kenny G is better at selling records than Tom Harrell or Woody Shaw.
MartyH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Lighten up guys. Reply with quote

Let the record show - I Never made any such claim that records sales were the only criteria for valid criticism or to the relative talent or worth of a performer.

Mr. Hogwash made those statements and attributed them to me as my logic.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is: where was Kenny G on 9/11, and what does he think about tongue arch / airspeed?

- Brian
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
The question is: where was Kenny G on 9/11, and what does he think about tongue arch / airspeed?

- Brian
...now I am offended. Can someone remove this thread?

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: I never set any criteria for criticism - you did. Reply with quote

MartyH wrote:
I NEVER stated that only those that have achieved such critical or popular acclaim have the right to criticize. YOU DID. It is indeed even questionable as to whether any popular award could qualify anyone as elite. Yet you ascribe this as "my logic". How presumtious of you.

A lack of specificity begs interpretation and requires presumption.

I apologize for misinterpreting your remarks.

Edit: some snarkiness removed in the interests of moving on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: