• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lin Biviano

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hairy james

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to say a few words about one of our greatest lead trumpet players, former Reinhardt student, and my boyhood idol. I first became aware of Lin's electrifying lead trumpet on M.F's "Live at Jimmy's". When I was 15 I used to play along with his shout chorus on "Nice and Juicy" over and over again trying to put Lin's exact inflections in my playing, doing the best I could to sound just like him. Then in 1977 the Pablo Records Jazz tour came to the Sunrise Music Theater near my hometown. Lin was playing lead with the Basie band on that tour. This was the first and only time that I ever heard him live, and let me tell you he just lit that Basie Band up! Till this day thats the most exciting and intense lead trumpet that I ever heard! When I started with Doc I would ask so many questions about Lin's chop's, horn's and mouthpiece's that Doc would sometimes get annoyed at me. When I was a kid I even called Lin on the phone a few times. He was always really nice to me, and always answered all my questions ( of which there were probably hundreds). He once sent me an autographed photo and a 45 single he made for Creative World Records, the photo I still have, the record unfortunately broke. I hear he is teaching at Berkley in Boston now, it would be great to hear from him on this forum. If anybody out there has contact with him please let him know. I for one would love to hear what he has to say about Doc or what is was like to play with Maynard Ferguson, Buddy Rich, Count Basie, Harry James, Woody Herman, and Bill Chase. Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-01 17:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-01 17:48 ]
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Woody Herman "Jazz Hoot" LP, now available on CD, for some good lead playing by Lin. Can you imagine a section with both Lin and Bill Chase? Wow! He also did a guest appearance on the "Road Father" LP, recently released on CD as "Fatha Herman" where he plays lead on the track "FM." Very Lin-like! BTW, this LP/CD includes the Allen Vizzuiti feature "Fire Dance," one of the most amazing displays ever recorded by a trumpet player. If you don't have it, it widely available for under $10.

I have some of Lin's playing on live recordings with Basie, but always thought his style clashed a bit with what I was acustomed to with Basie trumpet sections. I felt Lin's bravado-filled style fit better with Buddy or Maynard's bands. Speaking of which, it's a widely held belief within the Ferguson lore that Maynard overdubbed a lot of the lead work on the "The At Jimmy's" Lp. If you listen closely you can definitely tell it's Maynard on top in a number of passages. I believe Stan Mark later confirmed this. Regardless, Lin was/is a dynamic player, and quite the personality I''ve heard!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem blasphemous, but I knew next to nothing about Lin until I played in a band in Philadelphia with him. Yep, many gigs with the Al Raymond Big Band, actually . . . and yes, he really lit up those charts! He was the most exciting lead player I had ever played under, and after that was when I started to do the research (so to speak) to find out some history on him.

Now, usually the lead player was an older gentleman named Jim Padgett (sp?) and he was pretty darned good himself. But Al would try to get the best cats he could and Lin played many of those gigs, and so did Dave Stahl. I also need to tell you that I was in the trombone section at the time ('82-'86 or so) and I quite often was sitting directly in front of the lead trumpet player, so I got to really hear what those cats sounded like. As exciting as Lin's playing was/is, I've gotta tell you that Dave's lead playing is pretty doggoned monstrous, too, and I heard it many times with my head just inches from the bell of his horn. Both of those guys are fantastic lead players.

When I was touring with Maynard (almost exactly a year ago) Lin came out to hear the band at Ryle's House of Jazz there in Massachusetts (can't remember the name of the town). He remembered me (I was flattered) and we hung out and talked for awhile. I reminded him that he was the one who suggested that I move to Atlantic City (in '83, I believe), since there were essentially no "good" jazz trombonists there. What he didn't know, and what I found out the hard way after moving there, was that there weren't any gigs for a jazz trombonist in Atlantic City!

But I was glad that he had that much confidence in my ability to recommend something like that to me. And in looking back on it now, that's exactly the way it had to happen for me, and I'm glad that he played a part in all that, because a few months later I was living in Jersey just outside of NYC.

Anyway, I hear that Lin still plays great, and he really looked great! He hadn't aged a day in the nearly 20 years since I'd last seen him!

Rich
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Buddy Rich CD "Time Being" ... which has most of "Rich - Live In London" on it ... GREAT display of Biviano's playing. He absolutely nails an F# above dubba C on one tune off the Live album.

Rusty
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's also on Buddy Rich's "Stick It" album....

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
ScreaminMike

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hairy-

Any chance you could scan that picture and post it or email it to me. I've got a Lin feature on my website, but I've scoured the internet and haven't found a decent picture of him.

Thanks,
mike
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just passin through. Had to comment on the Lin Biviano post.

Met Lin in 1974 or so at Ferguson concert in Boston. He was sipping a gin and tonic on his break. Most everyone I knew in the audience left him alone because we were so in awe of the guy. When I saw him play he was incredible. I noticed then that he had a huge neck puff while playing Someone later told me that he corrected that situation in years after.

I'm told that Lin Biviano and Stan Mark played together in the armed forces (probably the Navy Band) and it was Lin's recommendation that helped Stan Mark get on the Ferguson band in '75 or so. Stan was a very likeable guy too. Very helpful and talkative.

One story I heard about Lin Biviano which I'd like to hear corroborated here if possible was at Dr. Reinhardt's studio. Apparently someone brought in a B flat trumpet to Doc's office that had a very unusual and unique defect. The horn would not play a high F#. No one in the studio, not even Lin could make that note sound. I don't know if that means that the note simply wouldn't play or if that high note just didn't slot well and sounded lousy or whatever. My impression from the story I heard was that the note just couldn't be played at all. Strange...

Curious after all these years.

Lee
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally never heard that story.

But Doc did give out a "handout sheet" on "How to Buy a New Trumpet or Trombone".

The sheet had tips about what to look for, and what to avoid when buying a new intrument. One of the "things to look out for" was a trumpet with a bad high F#. Doc said the number of horns with high F# as a "blank spot" was astounding.

Maybe this somehow got twisted into the Biviano high F# story?????

Don't no for sure.

Chris
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I played with Al Raymond's band in Philly for a few years myself. I subbed for them. This was like '83-'86. We actually may have played a few gigs together.

You may remember some of the guys that played with him now and again - Matt Niess (now lead for the Army Blues/ Capiotal Bones - an old schoolmate of mine), Dave Cooper (tpt), I know John Swana subbed with Al while he was at Temple from time-to-time. Also Jeff Cortazzo on bass bone. How about Mario Pino? Remember him? Jeff Darohn still writes and plays alto with the group. Once in awhile, Don Downs ,Jr. would play with the band too - beofre he moved from Wilmington to NY. His father was my trumpet teacher in high school. What a trumpet section.

Anyway, I can remember playing some gigs and shows while Lin was in the band. Man, I can tell you that sitting next to him was like getting a 3-4 hour lesson on balls-to-the-wall trumpet playing. He put a sizzle into every note he played. He was also a pretty nice guy. I asked him one time how he did it. He laughed and said, "Too much pressure."

Al has retired from the music scene. Craig, his son, who I am sure you know, took over for the band. Al comes to a few of the gigs. He has also written two books on the big band era with lots of photos. I play with them whenever they come to the Hershey area (or further West) and they need someone. Those were good days.

Steve
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories......

Like I said before, I saw Lin in 1977 on the Basie band. Till this day that is the most exciting lead trumpet playing I ever heard.

I sure with we could get him to post here now and then.

Thanks Lin for inspiring me as a kid.

Chris
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, can you recall the definition of a "blank spot' as described by Reinhardt relating to the high F#? My guess is that you mean a note that doesn't have the right tone quality or plays stuffy on that note.

If a horn has a bad high F# does this mean that this trumpet has other notes that play poorly? Thanks.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lee,

you pretty much summed it up......

F# plays stuffy without a good center. No definite "slot".

He also said if the open (no valves) high D plays more centered and more open and responds better than with the first valve NEVER buy the instrument. In other words.....It's a dog.

I have found that to be the Gospel truth.

Chris
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I've always played the high D open on every horn I've ever played. The first valve fingering tends to run flat. Sometimes I play the high E first and second valves for the same reason. Matter of fact I think I always play the C# second valve only.

How'd we get on a horn discussion on the Biviano page (lol)?

So can anyone confirm the story about Lin Biviano fixing his neck puff?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't visit here much as I don't feel too welcome.

But I feel the urge to chip in, as I so strongly agree with the original post. In 1977, Lin Biviano was at the top of his game.

He was pretty green with Rich. He got more stable and secure while touring with Maynard.

In 1977, he achieved command. In all of the concerts I've been to before and since, the best lead player I ever heard was Biviano one night in Salinas, California, while touring with Basie.

Jeff Smiley

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetteacher1 on 2003-06-13 10:11 ]
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I was 14 in 1977 when I heard Lin on Basie's band.

I still smile when I think about it.

A lot of guys have put Lin down over the years, but till this day I've never heard anybody light up a bandstand like him.

Chris

Just curious......Why wouldn't you feel welcome here???
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

You guys run a pretty tight club here, opinion-wise, and tend to scare off contributors (make them not feel welcome) who may not want to tow the Reinhardt line so closely. Of course, that's your privilage, as it is your forum, and you guys rightfully get to establish the rules of discussion.

So, I'm doing my best to be as benign as possible! No pedagogy here.

Instead, I'll repeat my earlier comment, that Biviano reached a pinnacle in 1977 which few have ever reached. I've heard a bunch of guys. Dave Stahl, mentioned earlier, was (and is) a great player - I heard him live with Woody - but Biviano was on a different level.

Chris, you may be the only one I can share this with, who feels the same way. Thanks!

BTW - I understand that Lin now plays lead for Lawrence Welk. Well, the money is probably good...

Jeff
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've always liked about Lin is that he's always played with conviction ie, LOUD. True, in his early days on the Rich band hit went for a lot of extra notes and missed a fair amount, BUT he played them as if he meant it and the result was fantastic. Even the clams sounded good.

Though my own skills have never been up to Lin's I've always tried to emulate his conviction by playing a good strong lead. Playing through the fear! Irony is that the more I try to play with Lin's bold fearless type of style, the fewer mistakes I do make. You'll sure hear the ones make though (and that's a promise) LOL.

Chris you do a fine job as improptu moderator during Rich's absence.

What were Doc's thoughts on playing lead? Did he advocate playing louder or more agressively when the charts got heavy?

Lee
RhythmDoctor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very fortunate to have heard Lin's own big band. It was one of the four-hour concerts at the Famous Ballroom in Baltimore in '75 or '76. I had already known about his screech playing from Buddy's records, but I remember being most impressed with his jazz playing at that gig. He had some very nice arrangements - the one I remember to this days was Miles' "Four."

I was just a high school kid, but I remember talking to him a bit and he was very nice to me. I was studying with Reinhardt, and we swapped a few stories.

I also have the Creative World 45 RPM single mentioned in the original message of this thread.

On a related topic, I was in Hershey on business on a Thursday night a month ago and called the KoC in Lebanon hoping to see Dave Stahl's band, but they said he no longer plays there regularly on every Thursdays. (rats!)
Purviance 8 8M 8A
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Lin -
Doc once told me that he could tell who was his next student or visitor by how they ascended his steps. As Doc's students will attest, when the buzzer went off - the door opened - and your heart started to beat faster (with a tendancy to overbreathe) - we would climb the stairs and pause briefly to look at the pictures at the top , waiting for Doc to open the door to greet us, which he always did.
With Lin, it was a true case of one of Doc's sayings "Crescendo to Ascend". Doc said that Lin would take 3 or 4 steps at a time, in leaps and bounds, as a way of announcing himself. That was the way he played lead.
Dave S.
ScreamTrumpetGuy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently studying with Lin and I'll be sure to pass on the kind words. He knows that I lurk and post on a bunch of message boards, and he occasionally asks what people are saying. As for some of the questions:

Lin still puffs his neck out when he plays. I do too, and when I asked him about it he said not to worry about it, that it was natural and alot of cats do it.
He has only wonderful things to say about Doc. Whenever he references the encyclopedia or gives me one of Reindardts excercises he throws in a little comment about how Doc was a genius, or that he really figured it all out.
He had me get the encyclopedia, but Lin isn't having me work on pivoting at all. He wants me to stay as motionless as possible throughout all registers.
His lead playing truly is a reflection of his personality. He's a really nice and approachable guy, but he is definitely intense, and it's impossible to not know where he stands in regards to someone or a situation.
I'm playing in his big band at Berklee (smaller band a-la Maynards current setup: 4 saxes, 2 bones, 3 trumpets, rythym) and he leads a band like he plays: He's always joking about how we don't play ballads (maybe one here and there), and everything cooks at 180bpm++ and really loud.
He plays great jazz.
He still has ridiculous chops. He plays sometimes with the band (it feels so good to play 2nd under him), and in lessons he'll sometimes play up to double C or so, nice big and fat. His Double C sounds like his middle C (fat, open, big, etc).

BTW: For all you Buddy Rich fans, Trumpeters Lin Biviano, Greg Hopkins, Jeff Stout, and Wayne Naus all teach at Berklee (they're all on Time Being and Stick It).

If anyone wants to know anything else about Lin or has any questions for him, I'll pass them on if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: