• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lin Biviano

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the latest on Lin Biviano. Am gonna use this as a warning to all you cats that may think neck puffing is acceptable:

You may puff your neck for a while and have no serious problems, BUT it may get worse and you could ruin not only your playing but also your ability to swallow and or speak. I am not joking about this condition. I speak from first hand, bitter experience. To this day my throat is weakened from a puffing incident back in 1997. Swallowing is sometimes difficult as bread and stuff gets stuck where my neck injury occured.

I am in 100 % agreement with Doc Reinhardt's recommendation to avoid neck puffing. The neck puff eradication exercises on pages 69 (not a hard number to remember) and 70 of ther Encyclopaedia REALLY WORK at reducing and eliminating a neck puff, but you have to keep up practicing them. It's not a one time cure-all.

I would even advise Lin Biviano to give those exercises a try if he were to be around. As we age our bodies are no longer as flexible and recouperation takes longer. When you get older a neck puff may comeback to haunt you. Again, this ain't a laughing matter.

Last I saw him was in about 1974 at the helm of Maynard's trumpet section in Boston not far from where he teaches today.

Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: