• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt Playing Types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know more about all these types I read about in this forum and the playing characteristics of using the various types. Could somebody post some information about this? All this is new to me.

[ This Message was edited by: BrassClass on 2002-10-04 08:18 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man,

you live in a great spot. rich willey is near you and is the "guru" of the reinhart system. i took a lesson from him a week ago and am thoroughly confused. just kidding. rich is a great guy and can really help you alot if you want to learn the system.
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spanky but I what I really want at this point is to just get enough general information about it to determine if I want to learn the system.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-04 09:40, spanky wrote:
you live in a great spot. rich willey is near you and is the "guru" of the reinhart system.

That's certainly debatable. If anybody is the guru of the Pivot System, it's probably Dave Sheetz, and the close 2nd would be Chris LaBarbera.

Rich
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to know more about all these types I read about in this forum and the playing characteristics of using the various types. Could somebody post some information about this? All this is new to me.

Spanky's advice is probably the best if you're curious about the pivot system and if you want to learn more - take a lesson from someone who is experienced. Reading about the various embouchure types can be confusing, and if you're not careful, can screw up your playing.

Basically, Reinhardt came up with 4 basic types of embouchures, with some subtypes, to end up with 9 embouchure types total. For practicality's sake, some former students of Reinhardt reduce this into fewer embouchure types. One of my teachers, Doug Elliott, separated them into 3 basic embouchure types, although you could argue that there should be more. These three basic types, however, are a good starting point of understanding the basics of the pivot system should you then decide to expand you're knowledge from there.

Go to the following URLs for some information on Elliott's three basic embouchure types:

http://faculty.adams.edu/~dmwilken/teachbrass_2.html
http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/10q-dougelliott.asp

The web site, PivoTalk on the Net also has lots of great information on the pivot system:

http://www.mindspring.com/~scream/pivot/

Beyond that, it is difficult to type yourself just based on the information you can learn from those web sites - and from Reinhardt's books as well. You might be able to easily tell what embouchure type you're playing as, but sometimes it is quite difficult to tell what type you *should* be playing as. You can't just choose a type and decide to play that way, you need to find out which embouchure type your physiology is set up to play as most efficiently. This is where an experienced teacher is necessary.

Good luck!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: