• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FN Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is a silly high school escque question..but I must ask. What are the range capabilities of gordons studies? What are your playabl ranges?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice register from Triple Pedal C to F above Double High C on a drilled and opened Bach 1 1/2C Mouthpiece (22 throat, wide-open symphonic-style backbore).

Playable Register (meaning the register in which I can slur, attack, double tongue, triple tongue, play loud, play soft, play in tune, and play with a nice tone) from F# below Low C up to F# above High C. If you take away the double and triple tonguing requirements, then my "playable" register extends to Double B or C (depending on wind direction, temperature, atmospheric pressure... )

It took years to develop (and I'm still developing).

Sincerely,

John Mohan
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Surely you have pedal register that you consider playable, right? You better after studying with calude for all that time. Even it most music doesn't have pedals in it you can still play them, right?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-14 14:35, trumpetgod_02 wrote:
John,

Surely you have pedal register that you consider playable, right? You better after studying with calude for all that time. Even it most music doesn't have pedals in it you can still play them, right?

I didn't include the Pedal as a "Playable Register" since I've only seen one pedal note (a pedal F) ever written in an actual piece of trumpet music in all the years I've been playing. Yea, I can play Pedals pretty good. Actually on the last two notes of "Evita" (after the trumpets are done for the night), the 2nd Horn has what for trumpet are two sustained Double Pedal C's (probably originally written in the Trombone part which is no longer used). Sometimes I would play them, mainly to just have a bit of fun and relax my lip at the end of the night.

All for now,

John Mohan
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Was that in the Hummel? the low F for Bb's. Or was that something else. Just curious.

Nick
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in “Carmen” by Georges Bizet. In the Vorspiel section, the part is written for Trumpet in A and the lowest written note is a low F#, which when played on a Bb trumpet is a Pedal F. This note is in the 5th bar after rehearsal marking 9.

All for now,

John Mohan
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok.

But have you or anyone else seen the pedal F in the Hummel. I think that it would only be for Bb trumpet. But I have heard many performers not play that note when playing this piece. Also I hear many people cop out of playing the low G as well. What's the deal with that? Maybe because they were playing it on an Eb or something, I don't know. I never have been too familiar with trumpets in keys other than Bb.
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the Pedal F in the Hummel. I'm sure that if the tune was written for an Eb trumpet then the C (Pedal F in Bb) sould be easier to hit then a Pedal F on a Bb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: