• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 8310Z? Lawler Model T? Opinions Please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etorres16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 8310Z? Lawler Model T? Opinions Please! Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Just curious to find out a little bit more about the differences, similarities between the two horns. Basically how they both compare to each other, from those who have tried them both! Thanks.
Ben17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would compare the C7 to a T, but that's just me. I think the C7 has a step bore, as does the Z, and a slew of other features that I do not know.
-ps, I'm planning on ordering a C7 tomorrow.
And one other quick question. If I order through peninsula music, it's cheaper, but I cannot get amado waterkeys. I don't know if that's good or bad since my Bach has standard. I also can not get pearl buttons or whatever for the valves. I haven't really made up my mind on where I'll order (pen music, or Roy himself), but I was thinking the money saved could go towards a case, since with a new horn I will have no where to store it.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't compare at all. I think both horns are at the top of the heap in their price range, but there's really nothing similar about them. Roy's horn feels and sounds much heavier. The slotting is very secure, and the response very certain. The Yammie plays light and fast, slots cleanly, and sings a little easier in the upper register.

At least, that's what I thought. For me, I'd rather have the Lawler, but I have always preferred the horns of a more 'classical' feel.
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the better Lawler comparison to an 8310Z, at least in the way of similar specs, would be a C7- starts small, step bore, open taper bell. I have yet to play a C7 (I will be the proud owner of one soon, hopefully), though, and the Model T I own is a different animal- large bore, 37-style middle-road bell taper, 1A leadpipe with the large venturi. Probably more comprable to a Xeno or similar.

The 8310Z is a great horn if you know how to use your airstream correctly. For me, the Lawler has a better tonal color pallete and the feel I prefer from behind the horn. It's also easy to play and is very responsive, though it's a bit bigger feeling than a Yamaha.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swinger_006 wrote:
though, and the Model T I own is a different animal- large bore, 37-style middle-road bell taper, 1A leadpipe with the large venturi.

Other than the large bore..... I take it the bell taper and leadpipe were different options you chose ??

How is the standard bell configuration and leadpipe different from what you have??

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
Podunkparte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich wrote:

Other than the large bore..... I take it the bell taper and leadpipe were different options you chose ??

How is the standard bell configuration and leadpipe different from what you have??

You don't choose the bell and leadpipe options on the T. It's one of the standard models like the C7 and the B.
Lawler TL6-1A #822 -Satin silver w/ polished trim
Bach TR200 -OUCH!

Monette B6
Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1
Bach 3C
Schilke 14A4A
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Podunkparte wrote:
rich wrote:

You don't choose the bell and leadpipe options on the T. It's one of the standard models like the C7 and the B.

Ok.... well, I remember hearing that but just misunderstood your description of your horn as if those were options you added.

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Almost right. I had Roy adjust the leadpipe, which he did for free, to a 1A venturi, so yes, it was somewhat of a custom option. The 37-style bell is standard on the T- most of his "standard models" revolve around a specific bell style. You can order the T in .460 or .464 bore. I also got rings installed on the 1st slide and the leadpipe in lieu of a pinky hook/thumb saddle. Small changes like this Roy usually can incorporate for little to no charge.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenV has both of these horns in question!

Maybe he'll chime in

Best,

T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Podunkparte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swinger_006 wrote:
Quote:

Almost right. I had Roy adjust the leadpipe, which he did for free, to a 1A venturi, so yes, it was somewhat of a custom option. The 37-style bell is standard on the T- most of his "standard models" revolve around a specific bell style. You can order the T in .460 or .464 bore. I also got rings installed on the 1st slide and the leadpipe in lieu of a pinky hook/thumb saddle. Small changes like this Roy usually can incorporate for little to no charge.

I see
Lawler TL6-1A #822 -Satin silver w/ polished trim
Bach TR200 -OUCH!

Monette B6
Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1
Bach 3C
Schilke 14A4A
Ken V
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree pretty much with all of the comments on this thread. While the Model T is one of Roy's standard models I had mine built with a 1A lead pipe, lever water keys, and a first valve ring. It is brushed lacquer but the inside of the bell is polished (very nice). I had also roy build a square tuning slide (per Trent's suggestion) which gives the horn a little more ping. The model T does have a great sound full of color that tends to be on the dark side. Incredible ballad horn and great for small combo work. Roy makes the best custom horns for the $$ bar none!!

The 8310Z is very light but still has a nice round sound unlike other light weight horns and it blows away the 6310Z IMHO. I had mine tweaked by Bobby and it was even better. You can light this horn up in a hurry. The Z is easy to play and is extremely forgiving, especially if you lay back a little. It is a very good all around horn and blends very well with a section of Strads.

The bottom line is that if you are looking for two reasonably priced horns that compliment each other very well then I don't think you could go wrong with these two. If I only had one horn I would be happy with either one of these but life is too full of limiting choices so I keep them both.

KV
1965 Bach 37 cornet
1978 YFH631 rose bell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: