• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Genesis-vs-Edwards-vs-Taylor-vs Monette?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Genesis-vs-Edwards-vs-Taylor-vs Monette? Reply with quote

Ok...who's tried all these horns....or at least multiples? Compare the horns' playing characteristics here.......
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let this thread pass away , I would like to read some reactions on this theme also.....

All the best,
Maarten.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried/owned them all at one point... what specific information do you want?

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not my thread, but personally I would like to read something about resistance, projection, sound and, most important for me, the ability to blend with other wind-instruments and trumpets of other brands (a problem sometimes with the heavy Monettes and trumpets alike). I see you are playing Eclipse now: I'd love to try out an Eclipse C-trumpet one day. Would you mind including your Eclipse experiences (Although probably not on C-trpt)?

Maarten
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
t is not my thread, but personally I would like to read something about resistance, projection, sound and, most important for me, the ability to blend with other wind-instruments and trumpets of other brands (a problem sometimes with the heavy Monettes and trumpets alike). I see you are playing Eclipse now: I'd love to try out an Eclipse C-trumpet one day. Would you mind including your Eclipse experiences (Although probably not on C-trpt)?

Maarten,

If I had to pick a horn that fits your criteria out of the above four instruments (Genesis, Edwards, Monette, Taylor) I'll rate my opinions below:

Each manufacturer above makes horns with different resistance levels. I'd say that the most open horn I've ever played was my B937 Monette, and least out of the four was my ML Edwards Gen II Bb. The Taylor was funny in terms it had a 470 bore but did not feel nearly as free as the Monette. The Genesis/Gen X Edwards both felt open but not wide open as the Monette. I prefer the resistance of the Gen II and L bore Gen X the best of the above choices given my current playing style.

All horns projected well but I'd give the edge again to my Gen II Bb. It had the best ring out in the hall and player feedback combination. My Monette horns always sounded loud but in actuality didn't carry that well in the hall. Pit work was especially hard in that regard. I'd assume the Genesis/Gen x again to be a middle point in terms of that.

Sound hands down went to the Monette. What an amazingly rich and complex sound. The Taylor horns I owned had a similar sound but lacked some sort of personal "rub" like all three of my Monette horns had (old Chicago 149XL, 937 in gold, 993 raw). I do really love the sound my friend makes out of his Generation X Bb. That is a GREAT sounding horn that would fit more in the realm of conventional Bb sections. The Gen II Bb sounded great and definitely fit more on the pallette of a conventional horn. I feel like my Gen II sounded like a really nice 72 Bach.

Blend? Eeek... You want to stay away from heavier horns in my opinion if you have to work with Bach and Yamaha horns. That's one of the reasons my Eclipse is so wonderful. It has so many of the aspects of the heavier Monettes and the Gen II rolled up into a lightweight Bb. I had to put very shallow mouthpieces in my 937 and 993 in order them to cut next to Calicchio and LT bach horns. If I had to pick two horns that would blend the best the Gen II and Genesis would be right there. I bet the new Monette Prana 1 Bb, MF and C horns will also fit the bill in terms of blending with brighter/lighter sound shapes.

Sorry for the vague nature of this.... feel free to PM me or ask more questions!

Best,

T

PS: I have owned the Eclipse C and LOVED it! It's an amazingly easy horn to play with absolutely rock solid intonation and incredible sound pallette. I don't play classical music anymore (traded my C to Bruce Lee for another Eclipse Bb) but I did also play the new production model C's Leigh is making. What a wonderfully rich and brilliant sounding C. I relate the sound to my old 239GH bell Bach.

[/quote]
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very broad question, actually. Even if someone played a horn or two or three from each manufacturer (FYI, Edwards are made by Getzen), the odds that they played horns with comparable set-ups (bore size, leadpipe design, bell size/taper, materials, etc.), would be remote.

I've been playing on a Genesis for about 3 weeks now, and love it. The sound is so huge and powerful. Playing in a small combo with other horns, I can blend very well; but can also cut through, when needed. The flexibility with the sound is better than anything I've ever played. Bright, dark, soft, loud...it's all there.

BTW, the Genesis is identical to the Edwards GenX (or at least one set-up of the GenX). The GenX is more customizable (is that a word) in that you can choose bore size, bell size/material, etc. Both the Genesis and GenX have the same leadpipe options, so the Genesis has flexibility in that area as well.

I've never tried a Taylor or Monette, so I can't comment on those.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:

Maarten,

If I had to pick a horn that fits your criteria out of the above four instruments (Genesis, Edwards, Monette, Taylor) I'll rate my opinions below:

.... feel free to PM me or ask more questions!

[/quote]

Thanks for the great answers so far. I'd love to ask you some more specific details (more specific for my symphony work, that is), but I don't have any more time right now. (Have to play a concert with pre-concert rehersal in an hour) I'll get back to this thread as soon as I can.
As for now, thanks a million!

Maarten.
m4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Trent regarding staying away from heavy horns. IMO, I think we will see a phase out of these instruments in favor of lighter horns which can duplicate opr closely approximatey the "thick" sounds of the heavy horns but also blend well and be appropriate where the sound of the lighter horns is required.

I have only played the Monette; 993, 937, 2000LT--I would have to say that the 993 and 937 would be a hard blends, not to mention heavy--and they are heavy. The 2000LT seemed very suitable to lead style playing or very technical jazz palying but lacked the "warmth" of the heavy horns. I have not played the other horns so I cannot comment. And this was at the factory in 2001

However, like Trent, I would like to put in a "plug" for the instrument i am playing, the XO RGB. This horn is availble only in Japan. It is a lite horn, but with a large throat bell which is gold brass, reversed tuning slide, gold brass lead pipe, heavy mp receiver, .461 bore.

I have used this horn in section playing where all the other horns were schilikes, I had no problem blendiong and being able to play a very cutting high energy solo in the band through backgrounds, etc. Alternatively, I have used the horn in jazz quintet settingings where it blended very well with a tenor sax in contenporary jazz; and excelled in a trio seting with a piano and vocalist. I have found success with the Curry 5 Series and Monette B4 mps

The horn as a rich core and is able to do "what you want it to do" all in a very light package. The horn was designed by Heido-san, former designer at yahama and one of the group who were responsible for the creation of the Xeno trumpet.

Not to hijack the thread (have I!) but i will agree with the sentiments that there are light horns that can do what the heavy horns can do and more. This technolgy was not availabe even 5 years ago, but it's here today. You just have to find the horn that works best for you. Problem is, with glogalization, you may have vto travel the world to find it.

m4

Michael A Missiras, Ph.D.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Quote:
Maarten,.... feel free to PM me or ask more questions!

Okay I am back again. These are my needs: a flexible C-trumpet that blends well with other brands of trumpets AND the rest of the wind-group. I don't like the typical C-trumpet sound, I prefer C-trumpets to sound as much as possible like a B-flat trumpet. Tuning needs to be good (of course), I need an almost unlimited volume and a sound that can go from plain fat, to aggressive and "pinchy" and from ppp with character to fff with body. I need it only for classical music from Debussy to Shostakovich, from Gershwin to Charles Ives etc. etc. We also play 6 to 8 operas a year, so pit work is on the list. I will NOT use it for "Germanic" programs (Mozart, Bruckner, Mahler, R.Strauss...), because I use rotary trumpets for those.
The instrument I am playing mainly for this purpose right now, gives me all of that, but after having played it for more than 20 years it needs a serious overhaul. (A "Frankenstein" B-flat Bach, cut-down to C, with a fantastic thick and heavy Burbank rawbrass bell, Blackburn leadpipe, rounded tuningslide. Interchangable bell. and leadpipes. This still is FOR ME the best trumpet I ever played, but the valves are giving me a very hard time, especially playing SLOW sections... and since the trumpet started as an experiment, it has never been properly finished eather.)
Of all the trumpets under scrutiny, I've only played/tried a Monette 61X or a 993 C-trumpet (can't remember which one it was). I really liked the feeling, pitch and stability of the instrument, but missed character when playing softer than mp. Loud was fabulous! Also, I found the sound very beautiful, but so different than that of other trumpets, that I found it hard to imagine it would blend easily with others.
I really like the "feel" of heavier instruments though, but wouldn't go so far as to look for a Monette super heavy weight for my orchestra work.

Sorry for the rather long "wish-list"; I am fully aware that I should just take a plane and try instruments out, but since I don't have the time to do so, I'd love to hear your experiences including the Eclipse C-trumpet. (I have heard the Eclipse B-flat versions in Jazz settings and I like the sound very much!) I would really like to try a Monette C-Prana of which I heard great stories.
Although I am rather attached to my Frankenstein trumpet, I need to look for a proper replacement or have it completely overhauled.

Thanks for your patience,
Maarten.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
tpt-tooth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
The instrument I am playing mainly for this purpose right now, gives me all of that, but after having played it for more than 20 years it needs a serious overhaul. (A "Frankenstein" B-flat Bach, cut-down to C, with a fantastic thick and heavy Burbank rawbrass bell, Blackburn leadpipe, rounded tuning slide. Interchangable bell. and leadpipes. This still is FOR ME the best trumpet I ever played, but the valves are giving me a very hard time, especially playing SLOW sections... and since the trumpet started as an experiment, it has never been properly finished eather.)

Although I am rather attached to my Frankenstein trumpet, I need to look for a proper replacement or have it completely overhauled.

Thanks for your patience,
Maarten.

If you are in love with a horn with a very non-standard set of parts, it might make sense for you to go to a studio where thay have a lot of pieces and try out different combinations for yourself.

Edwards UK has a service like this for European clients. They might be a good first step because they have a huge variety of parts to choose from. I mean, you can only get so far here on TH because everybody has unique needs and playing style.
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to chime in as I am an Edwards artist and I love my Gen III horns. I have gotten nothing but postive reactions to my sound on those horns after switching from Bach. And since Edwards trumpets allow you to mix and match leadpipes (resistence factor), bells (weight and material - offering varying levels of projection and sound quality) and tuning slides (square, round, ovate - each has a differing level of resistence) you should be able to find some combination that suits yor needs. Check out their website for specs and details.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpt-tooth wrote:

If you are in love with a horn with a very non-standard set of parts, it might make sense for you to go to a studio where thay have a lot of pieces and try out different combinations for yourself.

Thanks for giving the Edwards idea!
The actual fact that everything on my trumpet is interchangable, is not important for me (anymore), since I hardly ever change the bell or leadpipe anymore and play for 99% in the set-up as described. The idea of visiting Edwards Uk (London is only a very short, direct flight from were I live. From there it shouldn't be to hard to head for Edwards...), is fantastic, because I could look for the best possible set-up for me. The real custom-trumpet idea. I will certainly keep it in mind this summer, when I want to go out "shopping". Eclipse is from the UK also. I could visit both brands there!

Best regards,
Maarten.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten,

I'm primarily a Bb player (in fact exclusively) but have you tried the Hub van Laar Cs? Seems and obvious alternative.

I have a Taylor Bb and although it's a great instrument I don't think it's at its best in a section. Although I don't own an Eclipse I have played one and the Bb is a very fine instrument, easy to play, very flexible, configurations are custom and the sound is adaptable. I'm sure the C has a similar pedigree.

Yet another alternative is Will Spencer www.willspencer.orgwho could build you a very nice franken horn...particularly if the Bach/Blackburn set-up is what your comfortable with. It's a difficult sound and feel to replicate with anything else.

Just my 02 cents.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited by camelbrass on Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought - why don't you take the Frankenhorn to Eclipse and have Leigh do the overhaul?

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so hard to get an opinion on here because everyone thinks the trumpet they're playing is the best.

That being said, I have a Monette Prana one C and it blends.
My B flat is a 993 so I'm used to the heavier horn. The prana C plays veey simularly to the 993.

Sorry if there's typos. I'm on a Palm and it's late.
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts everyone. Thanks for the thoughts.

Since someone asked, what I was personally looking for in comparing what I think most people think of as "heavy" or custom horns, was to compare the characteristics of each completely in the oposite direction from which the thread has gone....not that this is bad at all, but I personally wouldn't even think of trying to blend with my orchestra, etc on one of these horns I listed. I'm sure some might, but I was looking for just the opposite.....which of these horns "stands out" more in terms of a solo horn. Now, I'm NOT talking about projection, etc. I am talking about which of these horns would make the best solo, jazz or small group horn....one of those horns that's really easy on the ears for example in small group jazz, smooth jazz setup, or modern jazz small group, etc.

Personally, I need a lot of help from a horn in trying to "fatten" up the horn, or add that interesting, dry or smokey sound. So I was really wondering what people thought of these horns in terms of that, specifically. I know mouthpieces, etc. But I'm one of those players (lead TOP style player) who just projects, and has an awfully bright, crisp sound. But I'm looking at a small smooth jazz group we're doing, and I need a different sound....not necessarily "Chris Botti," but something that can really help me get an interesting, dark jazz sound. I'm thinking this may require a very heavy horn. Thus, I was looking at these horns, and added in the Gen II because of the ability to change setups.

Thanks for you thoughs ahead of time.......
Kelly
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
cmcdougall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stradlover wrote:
Interesting thoughts everyone. Thanks for the thoughts.

Since someone asked, what I was personally looking for in comparing what I think most people think of as "heavy" or custom horns, was to compare the characteristics of each completely in the oposite direction from which the thread has gone....not that this is bad at all, but I personally wouldn't even think of trying to blend with my orchestra, etc on one of these horns I listed. I'm sure some might, but I was looking for just the opposite.....which of these horns "stands out" more in terms of a solo horn. Now, I'm NOT talking about projection, etc. I am talking about which of these horns would make the best solo, jazz or small group horn....one of those horns that's really easy on the ears for example in small group jazz, smooth jazz setup, or modern jazz small group, etc.

Personally, I need a lot of help from a horn in trying to "fatten" up the horn, or add that interesting, dry or smokey sound. So I was really wondering what people thought of these horns in terms of that, specifically. I know mouthpieces, etc. But I'm one of those players (lead TOP style player) who just projects, and has an awfully bright, crisp sound. But I'm looking at a small smooth jazz group we're doing, and I need a different sound....not necessarily "Chris Botti," but something that can really help me get an interesting, dark jazz sound. I'm thinking this may require a very heavy horn. Thus, I was looking at these horns, and added in the Gen II because of the ability to change setups.

Thanks for you thoughs ahead of time.......
Kelly

Fat, smokey, semi-dark, you just perfectly described the Monette B993. No other horn I have EVER played, lends itself better to these three adjectives than this horn, I wish I could describe it, its really fat but more than that its thick and creamy, kind of like imagining thick chocolate syrup pouring out of the bell, but a LOT less stuffy.

Pieces: Monette PRANA 1-5M S3.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djm6701 wrote:
A thought - why don't you take the Frankenhorn to Eclipse and have Leigh do the overhaul?

This was precisely my overhaul option, since I heard fantastic stories about their repare/overhaul work and their experience with Bach/blackburn set-ups, like Will Spencer I understand.
I appologize to "stradlover" for partly turning his thread into a C-trumpet question, although his is more a B-flat matter . I got enough great "hints" and ideas on pm's also, so I won't twist around your thread anymore!
Thanks to all of you who helped me.

Maarten.
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stradlover, I've played all 4 brands and if I wanted a horn like you a looking for, I would try the Genesis. They are all great horns which fits your description, but the Genesis is the cheapest and you still have the option to change the horn's playing feel and sound with different mouthpipes.

Or buy a flugelhorn...
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veldkamp wrote:
Stradlover, I've played all 4 brands and if I wanted a horn like you a looking for, I would try the Genesis. They are all great horns which fits your description, but the Genesis is the cheapest and you still have the option to change the horn's playing feel and sound with different mouthpipes.

Yes, I am biased, but I agree you should try out a Genesis for what you are looking for. It should be the least expensiveof the bunch (not a big fan of the description "cheap", as it could mislead one in terms of quality - though I'm sure this was not veldkamp's intention. )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: