• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Schilke / Yamaha Connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcirkse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: The Schilke / Yamaha Connection Reply with quote

I've been searching TH posts and elsewhere on the web to see if there is a listing of the Yamaha Schilke-copy trumpets. I find a couple of references here and there. One being that the YTR 732, YTR 636, 736, 6310, 6310B and the 6310Z were copies of the B6 ( Schilke Loyalist ) and some other vague guesses here and there.

But, what I'm looking for is a chart or table that says this Yamaha model was designed similar to the Schilke whatever.

For instance, I have a Yamaha YTR-741 C - what Schilke is it like? ... and on and on. I've got a couple of 734s, a 732, a 738 and a 636. I've looked up the specs on the Yamaha site so I know bore, etc. but being in the Schilke era, there's got to be a comparison list someone has come up with somewhere.

Thank you for any help here.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any Yamaha trumpet is a strict copy of any particular Schilke. I think a more accurate view is that they have common design elements - some more, some fewer. The three-digit models from the 70's and early 80's share the most common features, and they have evolved from there.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Schilke/Yamaha Reply with quote

You may also be referring to Reynolds consultation with Yamaha in the early days. I believe that Reynold traded info for valve sections through the 70's indicated by the 5 digit serial numbers. Maybe Yamaha tried to capitalize on the Schilke reputation, by their comparisons to certain popular models.
NiViBri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one you might have missed.
Victor
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48397&highlight=&sid=e3541b6b9816d4f3c4ecdf80ea3f4682
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Richard Dundas' book "TWENTIETH CENTURY
BRASS MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS IN THE UNITED STATES", he relates how Yamaha inlisted Renold Schilke to help with the design of their professional line..so that they even looked like Schilke trumpets, except for the valve caps.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Schilke Yamaha Connection Reply with quote

Perhaps Mr. Donaldson's website will be helpful.
http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/
BigMark65
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: schilke/yamaha Reply with quote

I know of no authoritative list or chart on the schilke/yamaha comparison, and I've looked as I am a fan of both. The yamaha web site is helpful only to a point but isn't exhaustive. I have owned (B3, X3, B5, B1, S32, ytr-6320, 6310, 738, 639) at different times so I will offer my opinion:
639/739 - B3 ish but certainly not as open as a B3.
738 - X3 This is a very open horn.
732,734,736 - Vary by date of manufacture. According to a couple of old yamaha catalogs the numbers, bore sizes, etc, changed at some point.

I believe your 641 is C7/C6 copy.

Schilke B3 gold
Courtois Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: