• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Slotting too tight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLgargoyle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Slotting too tight Reply with quote

Having been brought up on classical music, I always play the notes right on pitch (hopefully!). But how do you do the opposite? I hear trumpet players that can slide all over the place without a noticeable stop. When I try that, I just jump to the next harmonic. I can bend a note- a little, but how do you just slide all over? Is it all technique, or do mpc. and horn play a major role? BTW, I'm playing an Olds Super w/ a Bach 5C Megatone.
'55 King Master Cornet
'40 Conn Aida Trumpet
'21 Boston Alto Horn
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i could slide smoothly between the notes too. i think that practicing any exercise that requires large jumps and trying to slur it should help. but im no expert in the least.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combination of technique and equipment. That's one reason that the Martin Committee is so popular, since it has very indistinct slots. Still, you can develop a lot of flexibility with almost any horn. Start, by doing some leadpipe buzzing. Remove the main slide and put the mpc in, then sound a note that's approximately a bottom-line E. Try to get a nice reedy resonant sound and bend it way down and back up. Go up to the next partial, about an octave up and do the same thing.

Put the main slide back in a do the same bends. It's easier to go down than up. You can't go as far as with the slide out, but you should have can some flexibility.

Work on some partial valve bends and slides. It's not half valve on most horns, but more like 1/8th valve. Start on a middle-line G and slide down to a C and up to a G. When you play a ballad, try short slides up into notes. OR, start Misty with an octave slide up into the first note.

Just like clean, classical technique, it takes some practice, but once you "get it" it's pretty easy.

Listen to "the master" of sliding around, Clark Terry. It's a big part of his sound.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: