• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I stay with the Giardinelli 10S?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andyjazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Should I stay with the Giardinelli 10S? Reply with quote

Ok...for the most of my trumpet life (many years) I have been playing on Giardinelli mouthpieces. I was playing on the 3C and about a a year ago went to the 3M. I have always enjoyed the fat lows, good middle and pretty good upper range. My problem was that with playing lead all night as well as soloing, I felt like I was inconsistent. Some days I sounded great and other days I lost steam by the 2nd set. So, just about a week ago I thought I would try the 10S. So far what I love about it is the middle to upper register(high C, D, E, Eb). Sounds great. It has a real crisp poping sound. So far though I have three challenges:

1) Don't have power in lower register. Sometimes sounds even airy.
2) Don't feel like I have the fluid flexibility to play lower to middle range passages or jazz soloing
3) Don't have the real high range. I am not a real high note player but had no issues hitting high F#s before. Now seems like I am pushing way more air through the horn for those notes. And they are thiner on top.

My question is, should I hang in there a little longer with it and perhaps as I get used to this mouthpiece, the lower and higher range will come together? Or perhaps you have another moutpiece recomendation that would work better. I play on a Bobby Shew horn.

Thanks,

Andy
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd have to back way off with that combination. You're gonna have to get used to the way the more concentrated vibrations press back against your lip. From your description, it sounds like you are trying to fight thru instead of relaxing and using this characteristic of shallow cups to your advantage. I just picked up a Kanstul copy of a vintage Gir 10sw to use for lead, and I really like it. I have it matched with a S72 bbore, which is very free blowing.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Andyjazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you are right. I need to back off some. Thanks,for your thoughts.
excelsiorcornetband

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the Giardinelli 10S, and it is one of the older screw-rim models, I'd be interested in buying it.

Conn 10B Coprion Trumpet
Martin Committee Trumpet
Olds Clark Terry Fluglehorn
Stratton OTS Eb Cornet
Hall & Quinby Side-action Rotary Eb Cornet
NY Bach Apollo G Bugle
And about 200 others...
Martin Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I stay with the Giardinelli 10S? Reply with quote

Giardinelli 10M #26 bore
Giardinelli #3 backbore

Andyjazz wrote:
Ok...for the most of my trumpet life (many years) I have been playing on Giardinelli mouthpieces. I was playing on the 3C and about a a year ago went to the 3M. I have always enjoyed the fat lows, good middle and pretty good upper range. My problem was that with playing lead all night as well as soloing, I felt like I was inconsistent. Some days I sounded great and other days I lost steam by the 2nd set. So, just about a week ago I thought I would try the 10S. So far what I love about it is the middle to upper register(high C, D, E, Eb). Sounds great. It has a real crisp poping sound. So far though I have three challenges:

1) Don't have power in lower register. Sometimes sounds even airy.
2) Don't feel like I have the fluid flexibility to play lower to middle range passages or jazz soloing
3) Don't have the real high range. I am not a real high note player but had no issues hitting high F#s before. Now seems like I am pushing way more air through the horn for those notes. And they are thiner on top.

My question is, should I hang in there a little longer with it and perhaps as I get used to this mouthpiece, the lower and higher range will come together? Or perhaps you have another moutpiece recomendation that would work better. I play on a Bobby Shew horn.

Thanks,

Andy
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few of the newer now-discontinued Giardinelli one piece mouthpieces. I recently experimented extensively with the various 10 (S,M,C and B) cups and also the 12M and 12S. I put the 10S through the paces in the thoughts of making it my everyday mouthpiece. Keep in mind the newer one piece Giardinelli pieces are different from the older Giardinelli models I've tried. I've also played the Kanstul replicas copied from the old classic NY era Giardinelli mouthpieces and they feel different as well-- totally different rim feel than the newer ones. Maybe it's just because it's what I was used to but I like the rounder rim of the newer ones. The older style has a flatter rim and totally different alpha angle and they "feel" smaller (I'm not saying they're bad, just different).

A couple of sizes I found that were very close compared to the 10S was the Curry 8 1/2 Star and Warburton 7S (I paired it with the NY backbore). The Warburton rim is very much more similar to the older style rims as are the Kanstuls. I found both the Curry 8 1/2* and Warburton 7S played better than the 10S but the mouthpiece that blew everything else out of the water was the GR 64SZ. It sounds like the 64 rim would be considerably bigger than the Gir. 10 rim but at least "feel wise" to me they are very very close. The SZ cup is a killer for lead but you do pay a price with your tone however it's much better sounding than the *A4a style mouthpieces. You might also consider a GR 64S (Dillon's Music still has some used ones for sale the last time I looked).

This is just one persons opinion of course, but if you get a chance to try a GR 64SZ or 64S I think you'll find it to be a "short changing" experience. The GRs are in a completely different league than the Giardinelli.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the old Giardinelli pieces were made by masters of the craft like Vladimir Friedman and Greg Black. I would point the OP to something similar to what you were playing, but by a different manufacturer. Also, your swap from 3 to 10 is drastic! Downsizing to a 5 might not be enough to help, but why not try a 7 of some sort? (If you really do want to go as small as 10, I've got more than a few in that range I could part with)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: