• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mt. Vernon Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orchestra_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Mt. Vernon Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am in the process of buying a Mt. Vernon 1/2C from a VERY kind person (from this forum). I am sure he is probably correct on his facts, but I was just curious... Do all Mt. Vernon mouthpieces have "Mt. Vernon" written on it or did some have something else such as "Vincent Bach Corp" (without the
"." or something else--especially during the process of switching factories (from Mt. Vernon to Elkhart)? Thanks!
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, yes i believe that ALL Mount Vernon mouthpieces from bach had the words MT VERNON NY written on them. and the ones that said VINCENT BACH CORP i believe to be the ones from the Early elkhart stage like, right after the move from mt. vernon to Elkhart.

P.S. I know that you will ADORE your Mt. vernon mouthpiece because I just got one a few days ago, a 3c, and EVERYTHING improved, my range, my tone, my slotting and slurring especially, they are truly wonderful pieces.
Bach Stradivarius LT180-43 w/ 43 L-pipe
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
orchestra_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were there ANY differences between the Mt. Vernon mouthpieces and the very early elkhart models? Bach was still alive then right--did he change his design? Thanks!!!
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, you got me on that one, and i would be GUESSING that they did not have much difference in them, but yeah, bach was still pretty alive back then and i would believe there to be tiny little differences in the "newer" Early Elkhart mouthpieces, but for me i think that they were pretty much similar. Btw, how much are u buying yours for?? And is yours the one with the Vincent Bach Corp on it or the MT VERNON NY on it??
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
orchestra_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll PM you...

Anyone else with more info? Thanks very much, stradfreak101!!!
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Np
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
orchestra_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: stradfreak101 Reply with quote

edited just for prices that may vary from person to person...

Last edited by orchestra_trumpet on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, like i said i am kind of new at these mp's and so i would say that they would be pretty much similar if not the almost the same, but you have to ask someone with alot of experience as i might unintentionally mislead you...

Jorge
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orchestra_trumpet_star wrote:
were there ANY differences between the Mt. Vernon mouthpieces and the very early elkhart models? Bach was still alive then right--did he change his design? Thanks!!!

When the factory moved to Elkhart they started using different tooling. I bet an early Elkhart is different from a late Mt. Vernon.

http://www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several Bach Mt Vernon and Elkhart mouthpieces over the years. My experience with them is that Mt Vernon mouthpieces can vary as much - one from another - as they can with Elkhart mouthpieces - and vice versa. I had four Mt Vernon 3C's that all measured differently for inside diameter.

When the cutter blades were resharpened, the dimensions changed (ID became larger). When new cutter blades were installed, the dimensions became smaller.

It's widely understood that Bach's published specifications for each mouthpiece's inner diameter are not at all accurate.

If you get a Bach mouthpiece you like - hang onto it.
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich G wrote:
I've owned several Bach Mt Vernon and Elkhart mouthpieces over the years. My experience with them is that Mt Vernon mouthpieces can vary as much - one from another - as they can with Elkhart mouthpieces - and vice versa. I had four Mt Vernon 3C's that all measured differently for inside diameter.

When the cutter blades were resharpened, the dimensions changed (ID became larger). When new cutter blades were installed, the dimensions became smaller.

It's widely understood that Bach's published specifications for each mouthpiece's inner diameter are not at all accurate.

If you get a Bach mouthpiece you like - hang onto it.

Oh yea...... I have a Mt V 1 1/4C which is larger than any 1 or 1C that I ever seen. I have an early Elkhart 2 which is about the size (diameter wise) of most 7Cs. Some of the best MPs that I own are Mt Vs, though (and some of the early Elkharts as close seconds). Just something about the way that they sound.....
Like the man said: When you find a good one (that works for you), keep it!

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: