• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MOUNT VERNON 3C!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: MOUNT VERNON 3C! Reply with quote

once again hey guys and i just wanted to say that today i bought a 3c Vincent Bach Corp. mount vernon, NY mouthpiece really cheap from a friend (he was gonna throw it away before i offered to buy it from him) and i tried it and it is wonderful compared to the modern 3c i used to play on, just one problem, since it is pretty old, the outside surrounding of the rim is really scratched up and really rough, it does not at all interfere with the playability or feel of it but it has been messing with my lips and made them raw and red, and they kinda hurt now. but i stopped playing it before it damaged them. but i was considering smoothening the corner out a little bit with a file so that it wont hurt so much, but what type of file should i use for this so that it wont mess up the actual rim, but just smoothening out so it'll be more comfortable? thanks guys
Bach Stradivarius LT180-43 w/ 43 L-pipe
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the file in the garage where it belongs; This is a job for a professional (since it's likely going to have to be replated anyway). Send it to your brass tech of choice, have them smooth out the rough spots, prep it, and then replate it. You'll get years of happy (unirritating) service from it, and since you didn't pay anything for it anyway, you won't have invested much more than the cost of a brand new mouthpiece. Don't be cheap; Do the right thing.....lol
ps: There IS something VERY special about most Mt Vernon era MPs. They don't bring the big bucks on auction solely because of the name.......

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm....sounds great.....well, the nearest tech here in Texas is in San Antonio, so can i just like send the mouthpiece there or something and ask them to smoothen it out and do all that good stuff?
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and another question, will replating it affect AT ALL the playing of it, like the air flow or anything?
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Melk is your man. He knows what he's doing in this regard, and not all repair folks do.

http://www.charliesbrassworks.com/
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'll second the Charlie Melk vote. He restored an old Conn mellophone m/p that was down to raw brass. Looks and feels terrific.

Cheers,

Brian
Podunkparte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stradfreak101 wrote:
oh, and another question, will replating it affect AT ALL the playing of it, like the air flow or anything?

No, and if you're worried about any new plating on the rest of the mouthpiece, you might be able to just have the rim replated, like the gold/silver work from Mouthpiece Express.
Lawler TL6-1A #822 -Satin silver w/ polished trim
Bach TR200 -OUCH!

Monette B6
Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1
Bach 3C
Schilke 14A4A
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A do it yourself project may not give the results you want. Send it to a pro such as Melk or Kanstul and have it done right.

Gold plating is not just pretty, it gives a very smooth surface and some really like it. If you can briefly try someone else's gold plated 'piece, decide if that is for you. If you can't try one, be on the safe side and just have it replated in silver.
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kk thanks you all guys....
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stradfreak101 wrote:

make sure you get your friend a nice birthday present, and hope he doesn't find out what a MV 3C is worth.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Moon wrote:
stradfreak101 wrote:

make sure you get your friend a nice birthday present, and hope he doesn't find out what a MV 3C is worth.

haha, omg lmao, ok, do yall wanna hear how the story went???

ok well here u go anyways, .... Ok, i was practicing in one of the soundproof rooms in my school when all of a sudden this random guy comes up and askes me if he could warm up with me (we had our school auditions that day) and i said sure, then after we played a little i took a glance at his mouthpiece and then i saw the words "MT VERNON" and then i was like noooo, u gotta be kidding me, (cuz i've never seen a real one in real life) so then i said in my head "it would be such a coincident if it was a 3c" cuz that's the size i play on, and then i turned it around and i was like "OMG WTF" and i was like "dude where'd u get that?" and he's like "idk i found it at my grandpa's hous" and then he said he was going to THROW IT AWAY because it was "old"....so i was like "hm...i'll give you 20 bucks for that piece of crap cuz i need an old mp" and he's like, "sure why not"...SO I PAYED TWENTY DOLLARS FOR THAT BABYY..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it was the greatest day of my life...
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stradfreak101 wrote:
Brian Moon wrote:
stradfreak101 wrote:

ok well here u go anyways, .... Ok, i was practicing in one of the soundproof rooms in my school when all of a sudden this random guy comes up and askes me if he could warm up with me (we had our school auditions that day) and i said sure, then after we played a little i took a glance at his mouthpiece and then i saw the words "MT VERNON" and then i was like noooo, u gotta be kidding me, (cuz i've never seen a real one in real life) so then i said in my head "it would be such a coincident if it was a 3c" cuz that's the size i play on, and then i turned it around and i was like "OMG WTF" and i was like "dude where'd u get that?" and he's like "idk i found it at my grandpa's hous" and then he said he was going to THROW IT AWAY because it was "old"....so i was like "hm...i'll give you 20 bucks for that piece of crap cuz i need an old mp" and he's like, "sure why not"...SO I PAYED TWENTY DOLLARS FOR THAT BABYY..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it was the greatest day of my life...

Forget the present. You scored.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.

Last edited by Brian Moon on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thx!
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stradfreak101 wrote:
Brian Moon wrote:
stradfreak101 wrote:

like, cool dude.
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Ita is another good tech who could take care of any problems with it. He's in the Atlanta area. Just google Rich Ita. He did a couple of old mouthpieces for me including a King Del Stagers that is just about perfect. Most people couldn't tell it from a mint original either from inspection or from playing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: