• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Laser-Like Attack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the talk about tongue and air - while they are of course important - can lead to problems in some musical contexts.
One is problem is pressurization of the attack, which results in an explosive attack and/or a strident tone. Another is response difficulty at soft dynamics (firing "airballs").
I struggled with this for many years, and finally identified my problem as overly tensed or hardened lips (my background was D&B corps and big band). If the lips are muscularly "hardened," they won't vibrate unless a great deal of wind power is used, and often making clear attacks evasive (except perhaps on accented fff notes). Incidentally, it also requires increased mouthpiece pressure.
On the other hand, by keeping the embouchure soft and responsive, you can get a clear instantanious attack (tonguing any number of ways). In aggressive passages, this idea of soft chops is a little counterinuitive, given the trumpet's enormous acoustic power ("Geez, I must have to work hard to play loud..."), but it can actually increase your dynamic range and reduce your effort level.
Start by experimenting with "chops of Jello" on an easy pitch like second-line G; go for a tone (initially) that is bright, noisy, and buzzy right "at the mouthpiece" (don't try to "blow through the horn"-- let the instrument do the amplifying and projecting for you). The chops should repond instantly on a whisper of air -- just as your voice does when speaking or singing. Don't use any more force than you would to speak. Articulate just like you talk or sing. Play "into" higher notes rather than tensing "up to" them.
Experiment along these lines. It works for me and students of mine.
I hope this helps someone.
Peter Bond
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: