• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 3CW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Heckathorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Bach 3CW Reply with quote

Has anyone played the Bach 3CW mouthpiece? How is it? I'm thinking of trying one out and I want some opinions. It's supposed to have a wider rim than a 3C.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 3CW by Dennis Wick as my mouthpiece on Bb and C trumpet. I switched to this many years ago and I find it great for all purposes. I was on a 1½CW prior to moving to the 3 CW and it was just too large to play lead/ride on for an entire evening. The 3CW gives me the support I need to stay strong on the upper register parts for a long job, but is small enough that fatigue is not a factor. It is large enough that it produces the sound I wanted when I went to the 1½CW.

I'm a great fan of the W rims. I went to them years ago after experiencing a cut on my lip. I used a Schilke to help it get better, but I just was not a fan of the Schilke rim. Once the cut was closed and stayed closed I went back to the Bach style rim but went to the W rim to lend more support. I've never left that Bach style of rim but found the Dennis Wick to be a bit more comfortable than the Bach.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
blanchard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one for about 1 minute. It felt really weird compared to my regular 3C. Maybe I could have gotten used to it, but I found no need to.
trumpetjock924

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one when I had my braces on and it made a hell of a difference. It was very comfy with no bite at all. It produced an incredably loud tone for, not really above a topline f/g.
gregc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one for a couple days. Usually I use a 3C. The CW was completely different, not in just the rim width either. It got sent back.
gregc
acabaoglu

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good piccolo mouthpiece
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3CW is very different from a Bach 3C.

Take a look at the mouthpiece comparator on Kanstul's website. Overlay the two mouthpieces and you'll see just how drastically different they are.
mateo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this mouthpiece, I've been working with it for about 3 months now and I have really liked it so far. I was using a bach 2 1/2 c before and it was really good too except that I having a hard time playing on it for more than an hour at a time, so I ordered it the 3CW and it solved that problem. The only new issue I have had to overcome with it is that with the wider rim, I have had to work a little extra to clean up articulation. The cup is deep enough and wide enough to make it a legit mouthpiece, no crying from teachers that you are playing on a cheater mouthpiece. but I guess the only way to find out is to try it for yourself for a couple of weeks.
Eddy01741
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Bach 3CW is very different from a Bach 3C.

Take a look at the mouthpiece comparator on Kanstul's website. Overlay the two mouthpieces and you'll see just how drastically different they are.

Ya, the 3CW is SUPPOSED to just be a wide, cushion rimmed 3C (for those who have braces or use too much pressure), but instead, it is like a wide rimmed 3B, kinda strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: