• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What Mouthpiece(s) Do YOU Use?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Perry, and I am a recovering mouthpiece junkie. I have at one time or another owned the following (this is all that I can remember, but have owned MANY more, some listed I have owned numerous incarnations of):
Bach: 3C(at least 10 regular weight and 2 megatone),3D,3F,3,3B,5B,7C,7B,7D,7DW,7E,7EW,10 1/2C, 6C,6B,6BM, 1,1C,1X,1 1/4C, 1/2B, 1 1/2C, 1 1/2C 24/Schmidt, 2C, 5C
Denis Wick: 1C, 1CW, 2B, 4B, RW4B, 2F
Warburton: 3MC, 4SV, 4MC, 5S, 5M
Reeves: 42S, 43S, 43ES, 40M, 41S pic
Jet-Tone: T1A
Greg Black: NY3
Monette: B1-1, B4L, B4S, B4, C4, B5L
Giardinelli: 3S
Conn: No designation, felt like a 7B
GR: 67L, 67LX, 67MX, 66Z*, 64P
Marcinkiewicz: Shew 1.25, C. Findley, Rick Baptist, 5/3C
Purviance: 8A, 9
Stork: 2C, 2P, 2B, 1.5C, 1.5B, 3B
Curry: 3BC, 1BC, 3B, 3C, 5BC, 3TF
Yamaha: 16C4, Mark Gould, Bobby Shew, Canadian Brass R, 6A4a
Laskey: 80C, 50C, 50B, 50S, 50ES, 50F
Parke: Hagstrom .670 with a .665 rim
numerous custom jobs

I now only play on the mouthpieces listed in my signature. I found what fits me, and stopped trying to play mouthpieces that were the "things to play" just because other great players played on them. I found that big rims just didn't fit me, and that there was nothing macho or impressive about playing a certain mouthpiece. What's impressive is what you can do on it. I'll get off of my soapbox and get back in the woodshed.

edit: added a few that I just remembered.

Last edited by bachstrad72 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on 7C, went to a Schilke 10B4 for High school, on a Reeves 41 for a couple months in college, long stint on Warburton 4MC, fooled around with Kanstul, Curry, Monette, etc. then finally finding out how nothing really compares to the deep, rich, sparkling sound of a handpicked Bach 1.5 C.

Have also been experimenting with smaller diameter Bachs, but can't get used to anything but my 1.5's rim.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brassmouth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a Giardinelli 7C (not the same as a Bach) until freshman year of high school, then alternated between a Parduba 5 and a Schilke 14A4a (for marching band ) until sophomore year, then switched to a large-letter Bach 3C until my teacher sold me his LT Monette B6. I now play on a Monette STC-1 B4S and use the B6 for lead work. The rest are now paperweights.
CrunchedBell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up using a Bach 3C because that is what my first teacher recommended. Now, after a long absence from playing, I have started using a Curry 3C. For all the years I was playing the Bach, it was cutting off the circulation to the center part of my upper lip, hampering my embrochure development. The Curry 3C has a different rim shape that seems to fit my embrochure much better. I now seem to be developing much faster and better than I ever did before.
thejoed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

settled on:
Monette B4: majority of playing
Monette MF: loud and high stuff
Wick 2: cornet

but along the way...
Bach 1, 1X, 3F, NY 7D
Schilke 13C4, 14A4a,13A4aa
Yamaha 14B4, 11
Giorgianni 2000
Al Cass 4s-2, Doubler (trumpet to bone)
Getzen Deluxe ML
Olds 3, 3(gold)
Kelly 3C

cornet
Bach 7C, 3C, 11EW, 3F
Wick 4B, 2
Monette B4LD

sure seems like a lot when you list em all out
screamking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Shew 1.25 for everything and a Shew Marcinkiewicz flugelhorn mouthpiece.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what an array, I am so boring by comparison.

Started out at age 7 on a Bach 7C

Changed at 15 to a Bach 5C

Went to the shop a couple of weeks ago (more than 15 years after the last mouthpiece change) to find a horn with a brighter tone than my Yammy, and instead came away with a Monette B2 - what a 'piece! I can't believe the difference in tone and loudness the change has made....much cheaper than a new horn too.
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I started with a Couesnon M (!) in '62 as a child, jumped to Bach 1C as a student, then used a Wicks 1X and now a Schilke 24.
I still play with the Wicks 1X or Curry 90TF, depending on what I have to play (Wicks=brighter than S24, TF= darker). So the trend was "always bigger" but it is ok now. Same thing on flugel today:a customized deep mp from Curry (warm and dark) or a Schilke 24 (more "trumpety")
Marc
TurkeyHooNahNah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I started, like just about everyone, on a standard Bach 7C, switched soon after to a 3C. I played the stock 3C for a number of years then bought the newer small lettering Bach 3C in gold plate. I then experimented with some other options like gold plated Schilke 14A4 and Monette B6 and am currently using a gold plated Bach 1 1/2C for Bb playing and a 7EW with a 117 backbore for piccolo playing.
Luke6335J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Wow, what an array, I am so boring by comparison.

Started out at age 7 on a Bach 7C

Changed at 15 to a Bach 5C

Went to the shop a couple of weeks ago (more than 15 years after the last mouthpiece change) to find a horn with a brighter tone than my Yammy, and instead came away with a Monette B2 - what a 'piece! I can't believe the difference in tone and loudness the change has made....much cheaper than a new horn too.

Yeah Brass and Woodwind really jumped on the Monette band wagon, almost pulled me on, then i realised im a tight ass
Bach 7C - Love
America was a bit of fun - learnt not to ever talk about religion or politics LOL
stradfreak101
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7c then 3c block letters then 3c small letters then custom 3c small letters then mount vernon 3c...
Bach Stradivarius LT180-43 w/ 43 L-pipe
Monette B6
Mount Vernon 3c
Schilke 13a4a (marching)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 14B4 for a few years now but am experimenting with much smaller gear now that I'm working with a pro on my range. In my lessons I'm playing his Calicchio Reid 1 while I wait for the shop to make me my own. Because I can't yet play the Calicchio for my regular gigs I've switched from the 14B4 to an 11B4 to reduce the transition shock. Just to drop names the pro is Steve Reid, who is awesome.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bachstrad72 wrote:
My name is Perry, and I am a recovering mouthpiece junkie...I now only play on the mouthpieces listed in my signature. I found what fits me...

I am glad for you that this period is over now. We all try and have tried mouthpieces, but if it grows out of hand it is only a signal of insecurity and it'll wreck your lips .

This is what I mainly use now:
Bach 1B or 1B megatone/Schilke 20C4 on C-trumpets
Bach 1B large throat on Rotary trumpets
Bach 1 or D.Wick 2B on C-cornet
Bach 1B or D.Wick 2B on Bb cornet
Bach 1-1/4C on Bb and Eb trumpets
7DW-117 on Piccolo.
Some 37 years ago I started playing the trumpet on a Bach 1-1/4C, the very one I am still using for the Bb and Eb trumpet! Then I played a Schilke 18C4 and a Bach 1C for about 10 years, before using the list that you see above.

In short: apart from the piccolo m.piece and the D.Wick cornet m.piece they are all more or less the same..., but it is not important at all what I am playing; it is important what works for you and what kind of music you are playing. Playing high-blow on a Schilke 20C4 or a Bach 1B would be VERY tiring IMHO.

, Maarten.
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a Bach 7C, moved to a Bach 5C in junior high, and then on to a Bach 1C later in junior high. At some point in highschool I switched to a Schilke 16, then a Bach 3C. In college I switched to a Bach 3, and now play a Bach 2 for all Bb, C, and Eb work. I use the same unmarked Mt. Vernon for pic and cornet. My flugle is a Schilke 14f4.

Jason Pellett
The Royal Lancer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started out on a Bach 7. Switched to a Bach 3 in High School at the coaching of my trumpet teacher. Played that for all "legit" performances. Meanwhile, I was playing solo/lead soprano in Drum & Bugel Corps. For that I was using a Jet Tone T2B.

Continued through college with that combo, the Bach for legit and the Jet Tone for jazz/DC work.

Fast forward.

Made my comeback 4 years ago. My currrent teacher wanted to get me off the "bucket" Bach 3. Spent several hundread dollars on Warburton's 5MD, 4MD, and a 3MD. I'm using a 7BB and a 5*BB for my trumpets and an 8BB for my cornet. Great pieces, great sound with my horns. I can switch around the BBs and the cups in such a way it works for all of them.

Last week I started playing the Bach 3 again. I think I like it
'07 Lawler C7 Deluxe
'01 Scodwell
'75 Olds Custom
'73 Getzen Severinsen
'67 Bach Stradavarius
'63 Martin Committee
'54 Contempora Trumpet (LB)
'53 Contempora Trumpet
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osmun TA (a heavily modified piece roughly based on the Monette B4L rim, more efficent cup, 24 throat, and slightly open backbore)

GR 65Z* with t-72 bb for lead/commercial

Curry 3TF for soft duo/super delicate stuff

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Mark_Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR 3M
mpre53
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started many moons ago on the Olds 3 that came with my Ambassador. My first teacher switched me to a Bach 7C and then a 3C (both Mt. Vernons). I played the 3C until I put down my horn when I started grad school in the early 80s. About 5 years ago I lent out my horn, an 60s vintage Eterna, to my son. I decided to start playing again last December, retrieved the horn, and found out that both Mt. Vernons had somehow left the case, along with my old Harmon mute. What was there instead was a NY Giardinelli 7C and an Elkhart 7E of undetermined vintage. I started trying some Yamaha pieces and decided I liked the rims better than Bach rims. Tried an 11B4, then a 14B4 and a 14C4. I settled on the 14C4 as the one that I liked the best.

I finally bit the bullet and sprung for a new horn, a gently used Strad 37 bell. It came with a gold plated 3C, large block letters. I hated the piece. Maybe it's just me, but it's not the 3C I grew up with
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an accordion player since 1940, and a student at U Mass. Lowell 61 to 65, I wanted experience on a band inst. Always loved the sound of the trumpet. Was giving accordion lessons at "Metro Music" in Lawrence, which closed a long time ago. There trumpet man was Al Maglita, a guy who played with big bands etc. He had a permanent pressure circle on his lips. He sold me a new Besson Brevet for $150. I can't remember what kind of a mouthpiece it had, but I swapped it for a Mt Vernon 1 1/4C (on sale @ marketplace now) This Bach had belonged to Amando G, and one of the kids taking lessons from him had it. He didn't like it so he swapped it for one of the student insts. 7C............So, began a long time with 17mm sized mouthpieces. I played that Bach till a few years ago, then tried a Shilke 14. then a 14a4a. ...then, AHA ! I tried BE and found out that a bunched embouchure works better. Suddenly the 17mm cups seemed like face buckets. I had to go smaller. Bought 3 Kellys, 3C 5C and 7C. The 5C seemed pefect except for that sweet airy sound it made. I bought a GR65MS in gold plate. What a beautiful thing to behold. It played great immediately, felt great, but ten mintues later I couldn't play a note. Brian Scriber advise me to take it easy and have patience.
But, I couldn't play it till I took a vacation to my daughter's house in Colville Wash. this May and June. (they made me practice in the bathroom ha ha) But I played it for only 10 or 15 minutes softly a few times each day, and suddenly it felt great. Played great. and improved my sound, range, intonation, and attack. Got home and went to my usual band rehearsal, where they play real real loud. And regressed a tad. Hmmm? But this is the "piece" I shall roam no more. The quest is over. I just need to be patient.
Ron
Accordion Ron
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps. I ended up the 1st trumpet in the "Symphonic Wind Ensemble" at the expense of my grades. Practiced all the time, and studied some of the time. You know how it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: