• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

any info or reviews on the taylor chicago custom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akimmkia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: any info or reviews on the taylor chicago custom Reply with quote

does anybody have any info onthe taylor chicago custom , like blending with other trumpets etc.
brass2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Taylor Custom I owned has a beautiful sound but impossible intonation.
DLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased one of the early Chicago Custom horns and love it. AFTER I played tested 4 others. I will admit that the intonation on the 4 that I did not choose where not what one would expect on such an expensive horn.

Now, the one that I did buy, I REALLY like. It plays great and and has good intonation. In reality, there isn't a horn out there that is perfect with intonation. As players, we just get used to a horn and automatically adjust.

I don't have a problem blending with a section or chamber group as the horn will do what ever I want it to do. It does sound really good with a combo. I wouldn't recommend using it as a lead trumpet in a big band, but it works just fine for me on the solo book.

Two things you may need to do when playing a Taylor Chicago - 1) You must get the entire horn warmed up before everything starts to lock in with the intonation. 2) DON'T FIGHT THE HORN. I have found during practice and gigs, if I fight the horn, it fights back and becomes less forgiving and less easy to play, as weird as that sounds.

Overall, as I stated above, I REALLY like the horn. It plays well and sound great.
Foxytrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and play on one (occasionally). I love the unique look and sound. But the horn is too heavy for me.

I have a music clip of myself playing on it (nuthouse) if you want to hear and compare it to other horns.

Bb Custom XO RG-V
Flugel Custom XO
Bach 3C
Bach 3FL
Hamanaga Custom 3C/Fl

www.myspace.com/foxytrpt
www.myspace.com/brassy_chicks
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treied a bunch of Taylors out at ITG this year. They all seemed like solid horns, and I liked the sound of all the models I played. However, the one with sheet bracing was a little harder to push where I wanted it. My impression was one of trying to open the fridge with my nose.
Other than that though, I think I'd probably only use them in a solo setting. I'd personally have problems blending with other people if I played on one. It'd be an idea to keep another horn around for section work, if your budget lets you. When it comes to this stuff, there's no horn that's good for everything. Some are just plain horrible for some tasks, even.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: