• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Update on my new Genesis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Update on my new Genesis Reply with quote

By the way.....I wonder when I have to stop calling it my "NEW" Genesis? I guess since it's the first horn I've purchased since the late 70's, I can call it my "NEW" horn for quite a while ! HA!

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment to comment about how fantastic I think my Getzen Genesis horn is. I absolutely love this horn! The sound is COMPLETELY different than any combination of mouthpiece on my good old Strad. I can do things with this horn that I can't begin to do with my Strad! For me, it's all pretty much about fat, dark, smokey jazz on this horn though. Haven't tried it on any classical....and don't plan on it either.

I do have one comment about a recent experience on the horn that is the first "not-so-good" comment. However, I'll preface this by saying that it's more than likley ME that is the problem, and NOT the horn. But recently I did play the horn on a couple gigs where I did some beautiful melodic playing, as well as some "easy" lead parts. I decided it was ridiculous to take both my Strad AND the Genesis....so I just took the Genesis, and played it all on Genesis. Well, I found that playing in the upper register, and doing anything remotely approximating lead playing just about killed me! HA! I know it is likely because I ONLY use the Large Leadpipe, and I'm just not used to have so little resistance when I get up there. I laughed because I didn't even play above E over high C that day, and I was absolutely SHOT after the gigs. HA! Guess if I'm going to use the Genesis for gigs like that, I'll either take my Strad also, or I'll have to get used to that large, free-blowing feeling.

Other than that.....I absolutely LOVE this horn in every imaginable way!

Great work Getzen!
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a mouthpiece with a tighter backbore to use for leadplaying. You can change resistance at the mouthpiece or in the horn (if you can change leadpipes), and the mouthpiece is always the cheaper solution.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt. Yep....I did think about a tighter backbore. But I'm kind of done with the mouthpiece safari thing......for now

Because I got the Genesis specifically for solo jazz work, I really didn't intend on playing it in such a situation. Just thought I'd save myself packing my Strad, Genesis, and Flugel for the same gig since the lead stuff was really nothing much at all. It may be as simple as the fact that the blow on the Genesis is just so much more open and the slots feel very different than my Strad on lead. I won't ever do it again for a couple reasons.

The main reason....as silly as this might sound to some people....is that I am sooooooo completely and totally relaxed when I play the Genesis. I really do such a great job of focussing on beautiful, smokey tone on the Genesis because that's ALL I do on the horn. Seems like when I pick it up, my whole musical attitude completely and totally changes. As silly as it sounds, I have a completely different "relationship" with this horn than my Strad. I do so love my Strad.....but I have to WORK HARD to try to make it sound like I want it to for solo work......ala Rick Braun or Chris Botti. The Getzen Genesis.....well, I'm soooo relaxed and it just flows right out with that tone and almost no effort. So, I don't want to do anything like the lead or scream work on the horn because I don't ever want to change that feeling and that realationship with the Genesis.

Call me crazy.....but just picking up this horn, knowing how I'm going to play on it........makes me so relaxed that the music just flows. I really thoroughly enjoy that.
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I'm kind of done with the mouthpiece safari thing......for now

Most every working player has a 'lead' setup with a smaller backbore and cup size. Also, take advantage of the interchangeable leadpipe setup and try playing lead on the tighter pipe. Taking an extra leadpipe with you is easier than taking a whole other horn for the 'lead' stuff.

Quote:
well, I'm soooo relaxed and it just flows right out with that tone and almost no effort. So, I don't want to do anything like the lead or scream work on the horn because I don't ever want to change that feeling and that realationship with the Genesis.

Ideally, even playing a lead part on a horn should be with the same amount of unity/flow in the way you approach it. Unfortunately, many players have a mental preconception of the upper register and this hurts their physical approach to lead playing.

Playing lead on your horn won't alter it structurally- you're not going to change anything by playing things in a different register, or brighter. The horn won't run out of 'smokey 'notes . In fact, playing different styles and concepts on your horn will give you more sonic tools in your arsenal when you are soloing.

I say all this because, after a long horn safari, I am an advocate of the 'one horn for everything' school. Many of the consummate professionals I have worked with and studied under are of the same mind. Finding and playing one horn all the time will help you develop that kind of 'relationship' you speak of.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Geekman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt the Genesis come with a 2 leadpipes? When I play tested one I tried both and liked the larger one better. The smaller one may work for lead work but I never really played it enough to tell.
Tim McGinley
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can not comment in the Genesis, I can compare stories about the Edwards Generation X. The Genesis is designed almost the same as the Generation X except that the Gen X has modular leadpipes and bells.

Anyhow, I found the same issue at first. These are big open horns. I experimented with changing the leadpipes but the smaller leadpipe made the horn feel different. It backed up on me.

Simply finding a "lead set up" and playing in the same relaxed way made the horn very efficient for lead playing. The sound was huge and really filled the room. Playing a piece (same rim) with slightly shallower cup and tighter backbore allowed me to still "relax" into the horn but play with some zip.
I know you said your mouthpiece safari is over but I would offer the advise of finding a comparable lead set up to help "tame the beast".
"Right tool for the right job..."
Good luck.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been the same. It may be as simple for you as an additional mp with smaller backbore and/or less cup volume.

I've spent only and hour or so on the Genesis, but I recall that puppy lighting up real nicely without much ado.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genesislover,

I'm glad you are still enjoying your Genesis.

Everything you wrote is exactly how I feel about mine.

The only difference is that I do not have a "screaming" range therefore do not play screaming lead parts...so...the Genesis is a GREAT horn for me.

Monday I will be going into the studio to start recording my new CD.

It is titled "Tenderly" and consists of the following pieces played on my Genesis...

Tenderly
Stardust
When I Fall in Love
Someone to Watch Over Me
Body & Soul
Misty
My Funny Valentine

There are several other pieces I will be using my Flugelhorn.

The Curry 3TF mouthpiece REALLY compliments my Genesis with the "Open" leadpipe nicely!

If I can steal a name...I would call it more of a "Flumpet" sound that I really like and one that fits nicely when I play in church on Sundays.

Last Sunday, the Sound Man at my church said "WOW...your new horn really sounds nice and mellow yet I can hear it very clearly all the way in the back of the church even though you are not mic'ed".

I've had my Genesis for about (6) months and my old bright sound has not returned nor do I believe it ever will.

So...the statements people make like..."you will always go back to your sound"..."equipment does not change your sound it is the player and what you hear in your mind" etc. etc. etc. does not apply to me.

Maybe it's just that I rely more on equipment than my limited talent, ability and time available for practicing.

As I have told my Wife...If I can buy a better sound...I will!!!

Well, I gotta run and work on...

Schlossberg Drills, Clarke Technical Studies, Dan Oxley's Warm-Up Routine, Thiecke Studies, Bill Adam Long Tones and Bai Lin Lip Flexibility Studies.

I wouldn't want to waste $$$ in the Recording Studio while the Recording Engineer re-records the same piece 100 times over because my chops could not keep up with my GREAT Genesis!!!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan O'Donnell wrote:

So...the statements people make like..."you will always go back to your sound"..."equipment does not change your sound it is the player and what you hear in your mind" etc. etc. etc. does not apply to me.

Aren't statements like that referring to an artist's particular 'character or personality' and not 'sound or tone'? That's how I perceive it.

Some horns, let's call them 'specialty horns' are stubborn as mules in remaining who they are with their very distinct sound. The Genesis and the Selmer Chorus 80J are a couple that come to mind. They is what they is, "love me for what I am" kind of horns.

I've found that in general, the majority of trumpets are more chameleon-like.
Ted Dinklage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Genesis Reply with quote

I've tried the open leadpipe several times but always go back to the standard one. I'm using a rather large mouthpiece, a Kanstul MB2, and in combination with the open leadpipe it will wipe you out over a period of time. If I want a darker sound than it already has, I crack out the flumpet mouthpiece and it is almost as dark as a flugel. I love the Genesis but is a tank. Not really what I would consider a lead horn...
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan. Glad you're still donig so well with your horn too! That's awesome that you're getting ready to record a CD using your new horn!

I have several comments about the selections you noted. I'll save the space on the thread here, and send you a couple PM's about it.

Regarding mouthpieces for my Genesis, I'm still using exclusively my Gold Plated 1C Megatone, or the Getzen GP 1C. A fellow player has ordered a Curry TF that's supposed to be comparable to a Bach 3. He had it gold plated, and then scratch finished on the outside to match his horn. It took a couple months, but it's on it's way as of Friday, and I'm going to get to try it this week on Thursday. We'll see!

Honestly, I'd like to find a smaller diameter mouthpiece that is more akin to what I'm used to playing with, but I still want to maintain that same sound I'm getting from the 1C. So, a smaller diameter TF might be the trick. I noticed that Rick Braun uses a pretty small diameter on his Genesis, but it's a bit deeper. It's nearly the diameter of a Bach 10 1/2 but apparently quite a bit deeper than the 10 1/2C.

I'll let you know how the Curry TF works with my horn soon.

God bless.....
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: