• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Aid for the Visually Impaired

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchkill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Aid for the Visually Impaired Reply with quote

I am trying to get back into playing the trumpet after about seven years of not having used it. I played the trumpet through middle school and much of high school, and although I never developed into a great player, I did enjoy it. One of the difficulties I had, however, is the inability to see the music at a normal distance. I was born with low vision and even corrected, it is only about 20/200 in both eyes. In order to see the music I had to bring the stand very close to my face and turn the stand a bit to the side. Anyway, you can imagine the difficulty that this produced. Obviously, having a stand that close to you keeps you from sitting in the proper position and thus keeps you from being able to breathe properly.

Now that I am trying to return to the trumpet, I am curious what kind of supplements are available that I can get that will help me practice. These don't necessarily need to be usable in a performance because I can memorize music as I practice. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any suggestions!
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a French horn player here in ATL that is legally blind, and he uses a set of clip-on magnifiers (like a jeweler) to see music until he can memorize it. Of course, the horn does not protrude from your face in the same way the trumpet does, but worth a shot, maybe...

Good luck, Mitch, and welcome to TH!

Paul Poovey
skuni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read Braille, check the library of Congress for a Brailled edition of the Arbans book. They several beginning band books Brailled for clarinet. It would be worth a shot. Good Luck with everything!!
baysidepete
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought of using a video camera and large monitor or projector to zoom in on the music and project it in a larget format? Decent B/W cameras a fairly cheap these days. A 17 or 20" lcd monitor isn't too bad either, a lot more than the camera, but a hell of a lot cheaper that they were a few years ago.
An uncle who had macular degeneration had a device for reading which was essentially the same thing. He'd place the reading material on a bed which had a camera mounted to it, much like a copy stand, and a monitor on which to read the enlarged text. Just a thought.
I can see the music fine, I just have trouble playing it!

peter
mitchkill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am considering getting a projector that I can hook up to my computer. I then can simply scan the music and project it on the wall. It would also be handy in marketing meetings for my web site design company (IntegrityDC.net <-- Shameless plug!!). That is just quite a bit of money for me to spend right now. However just putting it on my 19" flat screen might be sufficient for a while. Thanks for the advice!
rjn-jazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This suggestion might be considered old school... but how about an old fashioned transparency projector... you know, the kind we used before LCD projectors... you could just project it onto an inexpensive screen or even a white/light colored wall. I'm thinking you could find one used and fairly inexpensive somewhere...
Just thinking...

Rod

Yamaha YTR8835LAS
Yamaha YTR8335RGS
Yamaha YFH631GS
Yamaha Mouthpieces
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you scan (or copy) the music and simply enlarge it? Say, take e.g. an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet, blow it up 2x, and print on two pages in landscape mode, or something like that? Lot cheaper than a projector...
mitchkill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help. Right now I am experimenting with a twist on something that baysidepete suggested. I am scanning the music into my computer, enlarging it. and displaying it on my 19" monitor. I can see it well enough to practice now. The big problem with this is displaying multipage scores. Anyway, this arrangement is working so far. If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: