• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

teaching to brand new trumpet player!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may know, im playing in a air cadet marching band. And asim the one with the most experience in trumpet playing (wich is bad compared to all of you) i'm in charge of teaching trumpet. I'd like to know your opinion about how approach this art to new trumpeter wich half know how to read basic music? That is a hard one? OF course it would be to make them more friendly to music language fisrt but after...What and how should i teach them the trumpet art?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welk:

To your overall question of how to teach air cadets (young teenagers?), you'll probably have to rely on the way you learned. What methods and techniques did your teachers use or how did you learn yourself? Apply these. I'm not familiar with what french language beginner trumpet methods are available, so you might want to check with a local secondary school music teacher.

I'm having a little difficulty deciphering the last part of your question: "it would be to make them more friendly to music language fisrt but after...What and how should i teach them the trumpet art?" I think you want to "make them familiar with music terms (reading music too?) and then are asking how to teach?

Your post does bring back memories. In my brief stint in army cadets many years ago (I was 13 years old), we were given piston bugles (one valve), a method book and the most rudimentary instructions on how to make sounds. I was lucky as I already played the trumpet, but some of the others had a tough time...

Good luck!

David
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, air cadets are yong teenager, 13-14 years old. The way i learned is by my self, seaking internet for tip and trick asking other some tips too. Ya in cadet we do give a method and a trumpet and most of the time well tell cadet" have these and play" but i think there is of course a better way to tech them. And as ive said i want to introduce them in music reading. But about how the way to teach them trumpet, id like to know what to do first like : trumpet care, tonguing, breathing.... and many more. I want to know the order to teach those. What is the best order. You can say it in english music language... ill be able to translate it in french later on.

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach them music...www.mostynmusic.com

Jock McKenzie Method for beginners...ask Tony

Roddy o-iii<O
EMAIL ME IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a teacher, but for resource material you might want to look at:

(1) Arbans -- it's printed in French, English, and several other languages. The newest one includes material from Maurice Andre.

(2) The ITG web site -- look for the Youth section for some good advice for beginning players: http://www.trumpetguild.org

(3) Clyde Hunt has made a CD to go with a beginners' method called the Grifton School Audio Teacher for Beginning Trumpeters (Cornetists): http://www.bflatmusic.com/grifton.html

I, having virtually no musical teaching experience (senior and grad EE classes don't count), would try a "call and response" method similar to the Grifton. Print out some notes on a staff, play them, and have the students echo them back. That way, they learn to play and read music at the same time. More or less.

It's quite a challenge, and I commend you for taking it on. Patience, and the ability to explain the same thing several different ways, will help a lot.

HTH - Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-01-22 11:59 ]
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 06:54 ]
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i dont want to have any routine or method book, we dont have any budget. The thing is: imagine you have someone in front of you that dont know anything about music (those cadet) what would you tell them 1st than 2nd then 3rd...i want to know when should i say what. im not sure if you get my point?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welk:

Well, I dug out my very first instruction book and it said (Page 2), "Your teacher will explain how to hold your instrument, set your lips and use your tongue to begin each tone."

Same page showed what whole, half, and quarter notes look like and showed G in the staff with the note named ("G") and the fingering (0 for none)

PThe next lessons begin with long tones on G (in ledger)

Page 3 introduces F and E in a similar manner and also introduces time signatures 4/4, 3/4 and 2/4...

Page (lesson) 4 introduces the dotted half note and D and C

Page 5 introduces B below the ledger and describes the rests (whole rest, half rest, quarter rest)

Page 6 show the 'repeat' symbols and ties

Page 7 introduces accidentals (Bb) and key signatures

.... is this of any help?

My first lesson books were the "mph Band Method by John Kinyon" originally published in the year I was born...

I also have the manual my cadet corps gave me (Slingerland Complete Instructive Manual for the Piston Bugle) but it is very wordy.

David

[ This Message was edited by: David Oulton on 2002-01-24 20:38 ]
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New thought:

You only need one copy of a beginner's method book and an overhead projector (not to be confused with a photocopier.. that's illegal)

Why don't you get a copy of the method book your école secondaire or cégep(sp?) uses?

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: