• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing whlie driving???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has anyone played their horn and drove at the same time??
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 28 ]
No
44%
 44%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 50

FBCR_TRPTR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Playing whlie driving??? Reply with quote

I've been dormant on the trumpet for almost 10 years and finally picked it back up about 6 months ago. Now I can't get enough, it's like I'm catching up from the past 10 years.

I found myself desperate for playing time, and on my way to work (about a 45 min drive) and my horn was in the passenger seat. SO, I decided to get it out and play some. Of course hiding it when an oncoming car came in my direction.

Now its like an everyday occurance. Am I psycho or does anyone else do this???

And yes I know it could be dangerous and my insurance company does not know that I do this!! But I'm careful.
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with this is I see people doing all sorts of multi tasking while trying to drive....for myself I like to concentrate as much as possible on the task at hand (driving) to give myself the best chance of arriving at my destination in one piece. I guess it's ok as long as we don't share the same highway
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it in college when I was driving back to college (at Cal. State Univ. Northridge) from Bakersfield, CA. That was over a 100 mile trip and lots of straight driving. I remember doing my Range Study (i.e. Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach book) while driving my '65 Mustang Fastback with the windows down because of no A/C and playing Double Cs into the windshield. It was not very productive, but I did it because I was crazy.

Now, playing as a passenger in the car is another story. My mother put-up with me doing that one Summer when we drove to the World Expo in Canada. I played several hours and actually had some good practice.

I know a couple guys that practice with pocket trumpets when they commute.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
carltrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my pocket trumpet with me on my drive to work sometimes. I can't really play it WHILE driving, though. I've been stuck in some horrible traffic jams, though --- and want to be sure I have the trumpet next time it happens.

Also, since the distance between the trumpet bell and streering wheel is greater on a pocket trumpet, there is less likelyhood of getting a mouthpiece through the front teeth.
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several mornings a week on my way to work with the pocket horn; Most every stop sign and stop light, and sometimes long tones on the long straight final stretch approaching the office. Eyes never leave the road, and long tones require no concentration. You just have to be smart about it. Not everyone has the ability to do it, though, and if it makes you the least bit uncomfortable, you probably should not do it at all.

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often played through parts of my routine while driving - sometimes even my whole practice routine.

For the first 6 months I played on Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Der Glöckner von Notre Dame") in Berlin we still lived in Lübeck because my fiance was finishing her education there. This was a commute of 200 miles each way 5 to 6 days a week!

One hasn't lived until one has played "Systematic Approach" exercises to Double C at 140mph on the Autbahn.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

Welcome to Trumpet Herald... and we're especially glad to have you here in the Comeback Forum!

Good responses to your question so far, and I can't disagree with anything that's been said. I used to carry a mouthpiece in the car for some buzzing. I probably need to do that again... I have a nice, clean, new pencil for that drill and will do some off-mouthpiece buzzing from time to time.

Are there places at work where you can play during lunch hour or for thirty minutes or so after work?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

I've often played through parts of my routine while driving - sometimes even my whole practice routine.

For the first 6 months I played on Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Der Glöckner von Notre Dame") in Berlin we still lived in Lübeck because my fiance was finishing her education there. This was a commute of 200 miles each way 5 to 6 days a week!

One hasn't lived until one has played "Systematic Approach" exercises to Double C at 140mph on the Autobahn.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
FBCR_TRPTR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
Welcome to Trumpet Herald... and we're especially glad to have you here in the Comeback Forum!

Good responses to your question so far, and I can't disagree with anything that's been said. I used to carry a mouthpiece in the car for some buzzing. I probably need to do that again... I have a nice, clean, new pencil for that drill and will do some off-mouthpiece buzzing from time to time.

Are there places at work where you can play during lunch hour or for thirty minutes or so after work?

Wxjeff
Thanks for the welcome, its nice that we have this great site. I've read several forums before I joined and there's everyone from professional artists, teachers, to beginners. It's awesome.

I get an hour for lunch and I spend approx 1/2 of that time reviewing misc. parts. (Church Worship Ministry) I don't know why I ever put it down.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaahhh.... so does FBC stand for First Baptist Church (and then I guess the "R" the name of the town in which you live?)

If not, my sincere apologies for once again tryin' to figure stuff out when perhaps it's none of my business (well, that's what my teenagers accuse me of, anyway!)
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

area51recording wrote:
My only problem with this is I see people doing all sorts of multi tasking while trying to drive....for myself I like to concentrate as much as possible on the task at hand (driving) to give myself the best chance of arriving at my destination in one piece. I guess it's ok as long as we don't share the same highway

I agree.

Cell phone use while driving is bad enough. I see problems in that regard nearly every day. Invariably, when the car ahead of me starts weaving around or behaving in some kind of erratic way, the driver is on the phone.

Drive the car and concentrate on that. Practice some other time. Otherwise, you will eventually end up playing for St. Peter, with the other person in the accident as your audience...
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
One hasn't lived until one has played "Systematic Approach" exercises to Double C at 140mph on the Autbahn.

Sincerely,

John Mohan

And 140 mph is only the center lane for moderate speed traffic on the Autobahn! BUZZ ON!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do it all of the time, but no more. I used to like to try and get all the way through a movement of the Haydn between putting the horn down. Made it many times on the toll road (interstate). Older and wiser now.
ejrdog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do play in the car often because I travel from Bloomington, IN to Chicago often. I just drive left handed and play with my right hand. Although it isn't the best practice because its hard to sit up straight and how often do you do one handed playing? But I do it to keep my chops in shape on those long drives.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Sincerely,

John Mohan

And 140 mph is only the center lane for moderate speed traffic on the Autobahn! BUZZ ON!

Most Autobahns only have two lanes in each direction. Mercifully, there are a few with three.

Actually, most drivers cruise along between 80 and 100mph. 140mph is on the fast side. You can hardly get up to that speed before you have to jam on your brakes because some idiot LKW (truck) driver has pulled into the left lane driving 61.5mph to pass another idiot LKW driver who's doing 61.4miles an hour. Then you wait for about 20 minutes for the jerk to pass the slightly slower driver and pull back into the right lane (maybe it's not quite that long, but it sure feels like it is!). Then, you speed up for about a minute and the same thing happens again.

And:

BUZZ ON?

BUZZ ON?!?!

Buzzing is a waste of time (except for bees).

I'll play on!

Cheers,

John

P.S. 400 miles a day between Lübeck and Berlin, 5 to 6 days a week, for six months. I'm still here and breathing. What was said about cell phones and driving is certainly true. I find that to be real dangerous. But playing through a daily practice routine (that is memorized) is not so bad.

There's a safety message billboard that appears alongs side the Autobahn in various places. It shows a picture of a guy with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth, a sandwich in one hand, a cellphone in the other and I think he's holding a cup of coffee between his legs. The caption reads "Wer fährt?" (Who's driving?"). They forgot to put the trumpet in the picture!
Benji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play while driving? Of course not.

Use my cell phone while driving? Maybe.

Eat a Whopper and fries with a carefully balanced container of catsup on my knee? Uhh, no.

Buzz on my mouthpiece while driving? Why not?

What burns me is these women applying their makeup in their rear view mirror while driving down the interstate at 70 miles per hour.

(I shave and shower before ever getting behind the wheel). But then I'm just your average guy, never been very creative.
Benji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat a Whopper and fries with a carefully balanced container of catsup on my knee? Uhh, no.

What burns me is these women applying their makeup in their rear view mirror while driving down the interstate at 70 miles per hour.

(I shave and shower before ever getting behind the wheel). But then I'm just your average guy, never been very creative.
Benji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play long tones and range studies in the car. I use a pocket trumpet. I got pulled over last year because the cop thought I was smoking weed out of some really wierd looking pipe. He recognized me from a wedding he was at the week before that I was playing. There is nothing illegal about playing while driving he told me. It's a good thing that he didn't notice that I was playing a double C into the phone at my friend Eric. It is illegal to talk on the phone at the same time without a handsfree device. (I was in NJ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: