• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mikes for trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Mikes for trumpet Reply with quote

I'm teaching a kid at the moment who is really enthusiastic...about the guitar and know all about guitar pick ups etc When we got talking about trumpet playing he showed an interest in getting a trumpet pick up or mike, i've seen some around but have no knowledge on the subject, can you guys help at all?
Jim
Richabai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good results with the Audio-Technica Pro-35. I've used it both for avant-garde works where my playing is being tracked by a computer and processed and with some jazz and pop settings where amplification was the only goal. Besides the sound quality, one of the factors was the clip-on design which allows me to move around a bit.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mic" for microphone... Though we have a few trumpetmike's on TH as well...

There are a number ranging in price from below $100 to over $20,000... Does he want a clip-on or stand mic? Wired or wireless? What is his budget? Is the application live, studio, just to record himself for fun?

My short list of less expensive mics (I did NOT check prices so may be off -- it's been a while):

For all around and live use, rugged, not the best sound but a spot of EQ will fix it up nicely: Shure SM57 (dynamic), ~$100

Better dynamic: Sennheiser 421 or 441, ~$200 - $400 (I think -- did not check)

Intro condenser: AKG C1000, ~$200

Better condensers: AKG C3000 or C4000, Shure KSM27 (I think), ~$300 to $500

There are better but more expensive condensers I like if his budget is higher, like $600 - $1200

Good clip-on: AKG (forget the model -- search here on TH or their website, I think they only make one), sorry don't know price

Better clip-on/wireless system: AMT, ~$600

Excellent sound, studio mic, ribbon: Royer single or stereo (the active models are much less sensitive to the preamp, but the passive models sound supurb with the right preamp)

You'll need (or want, anyway) a decent preamp for the higher-end models and for best sound. You'll need phantom power for the condensers (the C1000 takes a battery, too, but it's not the most common battery around).

HTH - Don
Joe Good
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Neumann U67 may be my current favorite... they are a little expensive though....

If you're getting an expensive mic, you should probably consider maybe 1/3 to half of your budget going to a good preamp for it.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an SM57 with good success.

I have an MXL 990 which i use for vocals Ill try, and a sennheiser e825 i think.. ill try it too.

i have some lapel clip on condensors, ill try these for a laugh, i gotta do some more recording for s and g's.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

One of the best sounding, "affordable" mics that makes a trumpet sound wonderful, and also won't overload with the real hot dynamics of the trumpet is the Audio Technica ATM-33a.

They list for about $200 new and sell for about $160 generally.

HOWEVER . . . the earlier generation version(s) of this mic are also just as great, IMHO and look virtually the same!

Specifically, these are the long-discontinued ATM-11 (and the consumer version @600 ohms) AT-811. The ATM-33a and ATM-11 are from the A-T professional series and are thus rated at 200 ohms like most pro microphones (including the SM-57 mentioned earlier).

This evolutionary design has been around now for nearly 30 years, which says a lot about its sound and durability! I've never had a moments problem from any of mine.

I've picked up a couple of back-up 811s on ebay in the past, and in May I purchased another ATM-11 (my favorite of 'em all) on eBay for just $36 (plus $5 shipping)

These are great as distant mics for recording large ensembles with great, realistic sound w/ lots of transparency . . . AND are great @ 6" for recording a trumpet up close without distortion!

Here's a live recording I made on a shepherd's crook cornet, with an ATM-11. The sound quality is wonderful with these mics. When you open the link, look down the right side to click "Free Download," then follow the directions from there:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9137382/In_The_Presence.wma.html

Enjoy

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: Since that cut was of a mellow cornet, it dawned on me that it might not show you the sound of a trumpet. So, here's another link of a song on trumpet:

http://rapidshare.de/files/29685499/10_Track_10.wma.html
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important thing is to get a CONDENSOR microphone, not a CARDIOID (spelling?).

Basically condensor mics pick up everything in the room, whereas cardoid only picks up sound coming from 2" in front of the mic. Therefore you will get a more authentic sound from a condensor mic. This is what I learned in an electronic music course, anyway. My teacher there recommended for trumpet the AKG C-1000s.

Hope this helps.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
The important thing is to get a CONDENSOR microphone, not a CARDIOID (spelling?).

Basically condensor mics pick up everything in the room, whereas cardoid only picks up sound coming from 2" in front of the mic. Therefore you will get a more authentic sound from a condensor mic. This is what I learned in an electronic music course, anyway. My teacher there recommended for trumpet the AKG C-1000s.

Hope this helps.

Hmmmm . . .

Your information is fundamentally flawed.

1. A condenser mic is one type of microphone (such as: condenser, dynamic, ribbon, electret condenser)

2. A cardiod mic refers to the sound pickup pattern of the mic (such as: omni-directional, figure-8, hyper-cardiod, cardiod, stereo, shotgun)

1. (cont.) There are mics of each type I've listed above that are great, many that are mediocre . . . and some that can be very poor choices . . . within each of the four types.

2. (cont.) The directional pickup pattern is also an important consideration . . . but based upon the desired pick-up area vs. the desired sound rejection area within a 360 degree area.

This means one can purchase a condenser mic with a cardiod pickup . . . or omni-directional, etc. Many times, a CARDIOD pickup pattern is MUCH preferred vs. omni for recording music at a DISTANCE, due to the fact that a cardiod rejects sounds coming at it's sides and rear (thus reducing coughs and crowd noise while picking up a symphony on stage at full clarity and volume.

Hope this helps,

Tom
kwajazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitmeister,

You didn't mention if this kid wants the mic for recording or for live sound. My guess is that'll lead you in two different directions. I can second a previous opinion on the Shure 57 Beta model (for live sound purposes). Very good, no need for phantom power, you can ride it tight with little or no distortion (playing harmon for instance). It may be a hyper cardioid, so little if any interference from the guys around you or the rhythm section.
Soundback
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: